Black Parents Explain How to Deal With the Police

Started by Shiranu, February 08, 2017, 12:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

The worst part is that this is the high point of African American life in the United States. For all the progress we have made, this is still where we are at... and people will say we are going too far.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

doorknob

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say going too far. All we can do is continue to educate people. I think showing these videos are very important. It's very telling about how the world is in reality not our pretend "everything is cool" world. We do need to show these videos. And with people who are real. The kids crying was not fake those kids really are frightened. I think that says volumes about how black people are treated in America.

Baruch

I distrust policemen, and I am White.  I have a nephew who is a policeman.  At least I am not profiled, usually.  Reality is scary, particularly because of ... people.  Not to negate the fear and other emotions.  And yes, USA sucks ... if you live here, you know that isn't fake news.  I work for the government, but I don't believe in it .. in the sense of "True Believer" .. it is an organized crime syndicate.  The criminality by both citizens and government is bothersome, though I can ignore it most days.  This has been true since Sumer and Egypt.  Before civilization you had hunter/gatherer bands, different than your own to worry about, and worry about your own family members wanting to harm you as well.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I'm fortunate to be white.  I've only had one encounter with a cop who was being a dick.  I didn't challenge him, and things went OK.  That was years ago in Chicago, and it was kind of what you would expect in Chicago.

widdershins

I knew from the title that reading this thread would make me sad.  No parent should ever have to teach their kids how not to get killed by police.
This sentence is a lie...

Gawdzilla Sama

My neighbors would say "go across the street (or next door) and ask the officer for help."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: widdershins on February 08, 2017, 11:33:18 AM
I knew from the title that reading this thread would make me sad.  No parent should ever have to teach their kids how not to get killed by police.

Yes, and children should never die or grow up ... because to us parents, they are so precious!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.