Author Topic: Do you think anything can travel faster than a photon?  (Read 573 times)

Offline Baruch (OP)

Re: Do you think anything can travel faster than a photon?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »
I often feel much the same way about string theory.  I was only just starting to get my brain wrapped around QM, and boom, everything changed.  :)

This happened around 1900, with the new atomic facts ... electron, X-ray, radioactivity, the proof of atoms, the atomic nucleus and relativity theory.  That and Marconi's radio telegraphy.  Exciting times.  But based on actual experimental data.  String theory has no experimental data, not already explained by Quantum Field Theory.  It is not the fault of QFT that theoreticians are still unhappy with it.
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2017, 09:36:12 AM »
I expect that "things" will snap back to reality one of these days.  We were all twisted up (literally) about earth-centric planetary epicycles until they finally made no possible sense and WOW, someone changed our perspective to heliocentric and things made sense again.  It is obvious now, but it wasn't then.  Until it was.

We are overdue for a change in perspective.

Someday (I hope soon, but you never know), dark matter and dark energy will make sense, spacetime will be resolved in a 3d Universe, and we will all say "oh well, of course, how obvious", etc.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead

Offline trdsf

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2017, 11:30:07 AM »
Someday (I hope soon, but you never know), dark matter and dark energy will make sense, spacetime will be resolved in a 3d Universe, and we will all say "oh well, of course, how obvious", etc.
That's kind of the thing about the real game changers in science: in retrospect, they often look obvious.  Which is why it takes a real genius to spot them.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"Confused? At a loss for what to do? Wow, sounds like you're human. Good luck." -- Welcome to Night Vale

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2017, 05:41:47 AM »
That's kind of the thing about the real game changers in science: in retrospect, they often look obvious.  Which is why it takes a real genius to spot them.

And I hope for a real game-changer soon.  Things are getting too unreal and it is time for a revolution to reality.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead