News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Netherlands Favors Ban on Sharia Law

Started by stromboli, June 09, 2013, 08:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "Colanth"That's called "getting educated" - something many Americans spend 4 years in college NOT doing.  In fact, at the secondary education level here, it's a badge of honor in some segments of our society, to not learn anything.  Functional illiteracy is seen as a good thing.

I didn't get this. Why would they think such a thing? Is this some sort of an outcome occurring as an indirect result of various things we are talking here, or this is a deliberate understanding in principle? Please say no.
Why do they think that education is a bad thing?  The children of the uneducated frequently have that opinion.  If your parents tell you that doing well in school is a waste of your time, because you're never going to get anywhere even if you get an education, you believe it.  

QuoteBut I wish we had studied other different literatures around the world. Thanks to my parents, I had two personal source to correct that.
See?  Your parents believe in being educated.  That's why you can't understand an attitude of "learning is a bad thing".

Quoteit turns into a very embarrassing position when people approach a 'normal looking white' person. The situations you get embarrassed in behalf of other you are having the conversation. "You "cannot be" Turkish" "Excuse me?" "You are white and your eyes are coloured." "What do you mean by your eyes are coloured? People do not have irises where you live?" "You know what I mean, you don't 'look like' Turkish" "How do Turkish people look like?" Westerner counts some colours between black and brown, but the conversation is so fucking dumb you stop saying anything or snap like  "We are actually purple, you are colour blind" I've actually said the latter several times.
I'm pretty familiar with that.  Many Westerners think that Turks, like Arabs (which they think Turks are), wear burnooses and keffiyehs and own a string of camels.  A Turkish man in a suit?  A Turkish woman in jeans?  Never.

QuoteMy sister also got asked a lot if one of her parents is foreigner because she has bright blue eyes.
I have a Turkish friend who has blue eyes, blonde hair and fair skin.  No one believes that she's "ethnically" Turkish (whatever that means).

QuoteI'll tell you by repeating a comment I heard many times in 2003, when people were reminded that we invaded another sovereign nation - "What good is being an American if you can't invade wherever you want?"  Gunboat diplomacy was supposed to be over by WWI - evidently "gunboat thinking" hasn't ended yet.

That's unbelievably hostile. I have nothing to say but, "Why?!"
I have no answer, other than "that's how some people are".  My response, when I heard it the first time, was "did you hear what you just said?" He thought for a moment, then said "Yeah, so?"  I said, "If other countries thought that way, we'd be overrun in days."  He responded, "But they're not the US, we are."  I often wonder if all the "people" here are actually human.  Some of them don't seem to be as intelligent as my tomato plants.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

FlatEarth1024

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "FlatEarth1024"May I intrude on the bash-Americafest this thread has turned into to ask you for a few citations for this quote?  Not yokels on the street either, please.  If you are going to refer to quotes such as these as some semi-official "diplomacy", please cite some exact quotations from the makers of foreign policy please.

See, this is what I am talking about. "...bash america-fest..." Aww really?

Just after 9/11, when the yokels on the street in the ME expressed happiness, USA channels aired those videos repeatedly in headlines and build a precious solid domestic policy on it to gain support for their unjustified invasion which continues to this day by different mediums and different styles.

Your way of defining criticism as 'bashing' is pretty dumb. He doesn't need to cite any exact quotations form anywhere sweety. We have been all poked in the eye with the culture we are criticising here since we were kids from every media channel. We don't need anything extra from foreign policy makers. Nobody is stupid or blind.
Sweety?  Okay sugar-drawers...
He was the one who used the word "diplomacy".  That implied the opinion and viewpoint of those people who make or influence policy.  He should have used another term if he meant losers on the street.  By intentionally using the loaded word diplomacy, he was hoping to subtly convey the impression of official government policy without getting called on it.  So I called on it, getting the "Well...what I meant was" reply that I totally expected.  Don't hang pinatas if you don't want them whacked.

As for 9/11, it is totally stupid to use the immediate, knee-jerk reaction to such a tragedy to gauge the true feelings of an entire population.  For six months after 9/11, I myself would have loved to see the entire middle east bombed to shit.  That feeling passed and intelligence and lucidity returned, as it did for most other people in this country who realize that the citizens of Iraq and Afghanistan were not responsible for the attacks.  

So Americans are not perfect and could use some fixing.  That's no scoop, you could say the same about a dozen other so-called advanced nations without fear of contradiction.  But this circle-jerk of criticizing the intelligence, education and basic moral fiber of an entire country based on the immediate aftermath of unimaginable tragedy or "Well...I know a few guys who were all like...", is simply exercising every ounce of intellectual laziness you've spent the past four pages of a hijacked thread droning on about.

Colanth

Quote from: "FlatEarth1024"He was the one who used the word "diplomacy".
I said "gunboat diplomacy".  That has very little to do with diplomacy.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Colanth"

Yes, it is: diplomacy + gunboat. Might not be your favorite type, but... :P

Colanth

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "Colanth"

Yes, it is: diplomacy + gunboat. Might not be your favorite type, but... :P
Diplomacy is the art of dealing with people, meant in a sensitive way.

Gunboat diplomacy is putting a gun to the figurative head of a city or nation and forcing it to do your bidding.

They're similar in the way that lovemaking and rape are similar.