News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is a ban on Muslims legal???

Started by fencerider, February 03, 2017, 05:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on February 04, 2017, 07:36:02 AM
NPR interviewed a Muslim Family that had permission to move to the US.  I can't remember what country they were from.  At the airport they were told they were no longer allowed to travel to the US, and were sent home. They are living with friends now because they had sold their home.  In addition, they lost thousands of dollars on the Airline tickets that were cancelled.

While this doesn't address legality, it does speak to poorly thought out policy and callous disregard for permissions they had previously received.  Of course, this was NPR and probably can't be trusted like those videos guys make for Utube.

No, you must disbelieve everyone and everything ... the CIA has ordered it to be so!  I suspect the story is correct.  Government action and inaction is frequently a pain in the ass, even enough to incite violence.  Yes, situations like this could have been anticipated and ameliorated ... but the government isn't very good at that, even for its own citizens.  The correct answer is for the family to sue in civil court for damages ... and lobby their Congressman if they are US citizens.  Crickets ....
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

chill98

Quote from: SGOS on February 04, 2017, 07:36:02 AM
NPR interviewed a Muslim Family that had permission to move to the US.  I can't remember what country they were from.  At the airport they were told they were no longer allowed to travel to the US, and were sent home.
An American citizen, Tronco wanted her mother, 65, and father, 75, to move here from Iran and help raise her son....
After being approved for an American visa, Tronco's parents sold their home. On Sunday, they went to the airport in Iran, but were turned away.

http://www.npr.org/podcasts/381443897/news-from-wnyc-new-york-public-radio/partials?start=placeholder

Sooo I am unsure if it was the airline or Iranians who prevented these people from boarding the plane or if their visa was cancelled by the ban. 
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-iran-idUSKBN15C0NR?il=0

Bummer for them they will have to wait a bit longer for their live in babysitters but I am sure they will find a way to get by.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on February 04, 2017, 07:39:40 AM
The correct answer is for the family to sue in civil court for damages ... and lobby their Congressman if they are US citizens.  Crickets ....

Yes, and I'd call the airline also.  The Airline may or may not show some compassion for their situation, and at least refund their money.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: fencerider on February 03, 2017, 05:31:18 AM
Here is a question for all the lawyers out there....

If Donald Trump was to get Congress to pass a ban on American muslims, that ban would fit the definition of a Bill of Attainer; a direct violation of the U.S. Constitution. However, if Donald Trump was to get Congress to pass a ban on foreign muslims, would that ban fit the definition of a Bill of Attainder? To what extent do Constitutional protections given to Americans apply to foreigners?

There's been no indication that Trump wants to  ban American muslims, and your question leaves out what sort of form that ban would take.  This really has nothing to do with that 3 month suspension of immigration from the seven countries on a list made by Obama under a bill signed by Obama.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

This is also why the border wall is a thing, it is acknowledged in multiple sources, that besides Mexican drug dealers, actual terrorists use our Southern Border.  I don't think the Wall will work, it is just a pork barrel ... but the concern is legitimate.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on February 03, 2017, 06:00:18 AM
It was legal back in 2011 when Obama did the same ban from the same 7 countries that Trump did just now.
The ban is effective for 90 days, same as Obama did it then.
There was no outrage. Crickets.

Why is all the hysteria now? I think we all know the answer to that.

The 7 countries the Repubs refer to were places US citizens might not want to travel TO!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

The Right ... lying POS.  The Left, opposite?  The Left is fair and honest?  Giggle ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

The fact that Trump used "As president, I'm privy to information the courts just don't understand" is meaningful enough to me that Trump knows absolutely nothing about the law.  May the law fuck him in the ass while he continues on his infantile tirade. 

Baruch

Unfortunately both parties use "national security" to skirt the law, when they can.  The war powers of the CinC are always .... ambiguous.  Other nation's presidents/PM aren't commanders of the military.  It will be interesting, for legal eagles, to see how this particular challenge goes ... about a limited temporary ban.  I think a more permanent ban, would be more easily challenged.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on February 08, 2017, 04:03:51 AM
The Right ... lying POS.  The Left, opposite?  The Left is fair and honest?  Giggle ...

Translated:
... lying POS (pieces of shit1) on one side  (Republicans)
... (unjust, inequitable, prejudiced, biased, discriminatory2) (Democrats)
1Urban Dictionary
2Google Synonyms

Outside of the political arena, the negatives would be unforgiveable.  Never mind that your descriptions seem to have gotten the parties mixed up, I get the point; From your perspective, they are both vile beyond contempt and are indistinguishable.  Yet people get enamored with one of the parties, but oppose the other with deep hatred in spite of your negative observations of them both.

So how do you vote?  I'm not asking which of the unpardonable parties you support.  But rather, how do you undertake the decision to throw your weight around in the election booth?  If you don't vote, do you have a way to be heard?  You wouldn't be in this forum if you didn't want to be heard (even if seldom understood), but given the right to be a participant in Democracy, do you have a way to be heard that can be understood by someone that might use your meager offering in a constructive way?

Baruch

Voting is an exercise in self deception and manipulation.  Representative democracy is a joke.  Direct democracy (ancient Athens) was a nightmare.  You would never see me support the idea of direct internet voting (even secure voting).  Republics simply don't have kings/queens .. they have some form of oligarchical rule.  The US is no different, we have had an oligarchy from the beginning.  People believe that voting makes a difference ... but only at the margins is this true, in most elections.  Citizens need to have the false self assurance that they matter, that their anonymity and poverty aren't the only aspect of their existence.  With voting, the anonymous, the poor ... feel a momentary jolt of power.  Like when I get a shock in Winter time, walking across a carpet.

Civics 101 is false, in every country.  But I am not a revolutionary, I am not indignant (except against self destructive stupidity).  It is what it is.

Political correctness says ... only say good things or nothing at all.  Keep head up ass, so you can't see reality (insert ideology or religion here).  Everyone today gets a gold star, even if they don't participate.  Snowflakes.

Are there any constructive ways in politics?  I have told you people ... that you have to stop voting for self destruction.  You need to replace the two old parties entirely ... you need to start that with a powerful third party.  Trump is doing that, if he continues to Center, and marginalize the DNC and RNC.  Is that clear enough?  Instead you want to argue about the color of the chairs on the Lido deck of the Titanic.  It is too late ... you are all Pod People.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

On the OP .. the Republican Congress has reintroduced their bill, defeated several times ... to put the Muslim Brotherhood on the terrorist list.  This is much more serious than a travel ban, since CAIR etc are participants with the Muslim Brotherhood, which is a terrorist organization, outside the US.  All depends on what our Saudi masters order us to do.  Pure politics, since the US government and the Saudi government are both ... terrorist organizations.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.