Donald Trump seems determined to destroy the separation of Church and State

Started by fencerider, February 03, 2017, 05:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

Trump begin his term of office with some serious violations of the separation of Church and State in his inaugural address.

He continued his quest on Feb 2,2017 speaking at a national prayer breakfast ( I think that the President going to a prayer breakfast as a guest or visitor and not saying anything is ok. Or if the President is a guest at a synagogue or a mosque is ok too. But when the President gets up to speak in support of that religion, that is not ok. That is a violation of the separation of Church and State.

Add on to this his announcement at the prayer breakfast that he is going to get rid of the Johnson ammendment (first time I heard of it; is a law that makes it illegal for priests and pastors to get involved in politics)
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Atheon

Presidents don't make laws. Unless they're dictators, which is what he is aiming for.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

pr126

Curb your enthusiasm. You have four years to go (at least). If not eight.

Your TDS is becoming an OCD.

Shiranu

Fuck, wanted to get in here before pr or Munich started making excuses for Trump :\.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

trdsf

Quote from: fencerider on February 03, 2017, 05:21:07 AM
Add on to this his announcement at the prayer breakfast that he is going to get rid of the Johnson ammendment (first time I heard of it; is a law that makes it illegal for priests and pastors to get involved in politics)
Basically, yeah.  It's the law that prohibits politicking from the pulpit and would revoke a church (or other charity's) tax-exempt status if they started endorsing candidates.  Basically he wants to allow Pat Robertson and his kind to be able to run free infomercials for the Talebangelical wing of the Republican Party.  You can tack onto that this earlier effort to legalize homophobia nationally that seems to be resurfacing now that Asshole is in.

Ironically, when the Johnson Amendment was first proposed and passed in the 1950s, it was almost entirely non-controversial: people used to understand that the church and the state are two separate entities.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

AllPurposeAtheist

Not to worry..GAWD is only concerned about the outcome of the super bowl and not the decisions of the dicktaster in chief.. Divine intervention: will God decide Super Bowl 51?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/feb/03/god-super-bowl-51-patriots-falcons?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Unbeliever

This is just one more step toward the coming theocracy. Expect it to get worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Xkcl3bXp0

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: AristotleA tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side.

Quote from: John Ashcroft, 5/8/99Unique among the nations, America recognized the source of our character as being godly and eternal, not being civic and temporal. And because we have understood that our source is eternal, America has been different. We have no king but Jesus.

Quote from: Jerry FalwellThe idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the devil to keep Christians from running their own country.

Quote from: Ralph ReedWhat Christians have got to do is take back this country one precinct at a time, one neighborhood at a time, and one state at a time...I honestly believe that in my lifetime we will see a country once again governed by Christians.

This is not going to be fun to live through.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Unbeliever

I'm afraid the religious right fundamentalist fanatics want to force the end of the world so they can make Jesus come again. They believe that's all he's waiting for, the destruction of human civilization, and then he'll be here and rapture all his loving children - and punish the rest of us in burning hell forever.
God Not Found

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 03, 2017, 10:22:50 AM
Fuck, wanted to get in here before pr or Munich started making excuses for Trump :\.

I've never made excuses for trump darling, merely pointing bs on both sides.

That said, you guys really have a problem, however this might lead to some hilarious events, if trump pushes this, what's to stop someone who isn't a Christian, say a Muslim, or a Satanist, from calling rules into practice.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on February 03, 2017, 03:05:00 PMif trump pushes this, what's to stop someone who isn't a Christian, say a Muslim, or a Satanist, from calling rules into practice.
I'll let you know when we get someone in high office who isn't a Christian.  My guess is that they wouldn't marry religion and politics like the Republicans do.

Unbeliever

I expect them to institute religious tests for such office, so that only Christians of the Dominionist persuasion can be in office - ever.

Though, of course, it can't happen here...

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on February 03, 2017, 05:21:07 AM
Trump begin his term of office with some serious violations of the separation of Church and State in his inaugural address.

He continued his quest on Feb 2,2017 speaking at a national prayer breakfast ( I think that the President going to a prayer breakfast as a guest or visitor and not saying anything is ok. Or if the President is a guest at a synagogue or a mosque is ok too. But when the President gets up to speak in support of that religion, that is not ok. That is a violation of the separation of Church and State.

The Johnson amendment, was put in at the behest of the Catholic Church, to silence liberal Catholics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

It was only semi-legal to be gay since I turned adult, and fully legal only a couple years ago.  Before I turned adult it was illegal.  While I don't support going backwards on this ... and I am a variant myself ... I understand a temporary reversal isn't going to put us back in the Stone Age, only back to circa 1987.  I considered Edward Meese to be Satan back then.  If you are gay married, then I think you should definitely move to Canada for awhile, rather than put up with moralist bullshit ... hopefully you can come back some day.  Draft protestors had to do this before you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.