Poll: voters despise Trump, favor Obama

Started by Hydra009, February 02, 2017, 07:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilgamesh

>Actually believing that the US is now a fascist state.

pr126

Some pepople never have to think. All the thinking is done for them.
Religious or secular.

The joy of indoctrination.

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on February 14, 2017, 08:52:46 AM
Does anyone here knows what fascism really is?

Hint: Benito Mussolini.

" (in general use) extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practice."

Not too far off, actually...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 13, 2017, 05:49:56 PM
Update:

Mr. Winning is looking more and more like a gigantic Loser.

This is my own little pet hypothesis.  Trump does not give a rats ass about this country, except in the ways he can add money to his own coffers.  He has already said many, many times that if you get on his bad side he stoops to revenge--and his revenge is 10 times what he thinks the transgression was.  On the flip side he rewards those who have aided him quite richly; that is why his cabinet will be totally fucked up--he doesn't care; the cabinet is simply a way to pay off those that are his allies.  His one overriding goal is to amass as much money for himself and then his friends as he can.  If it causes huge problems for the country as a whole does not enter into the equation.  Fleece this country--his one and only goal for his time as president.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on February 14, 2017, 08:52:46 AM
Does anyone here knows what fascism really is?

Hint: Benito Mussolini.

But ... but ... that was only with Italians, and only 1920 - 1945.  It can't happen here ... wrong date, and we aren't Italian.  Hitler simply upstaged what original White Hope of the Catholic Church.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 14, 2017, 12:46:53 PMOn the flip side he rewards those who have aided him quite richly; that is why his cabinet will be totally fucked up--he doesn't care; the cabinet is simply a way to pay off those that are his allies.
A plausible idea, but it doesn't explain why this cabinet has ideological leanings so far to the right and consistently at odds with the roles they've been assigned - for example, Rick Perry calling to eliminate the Department of Energy then becoming nominated to be head of the Department of Energy.  You'd think a cabinet chosen purely for loyalty would occasionally have an agreeable appointee.  Even drawing names out of a hat would be better than this.

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: SGOS on February 14, 2017, 06:49:12 AM
His approval numbers actually strike me as very good.  43% favoring Trump over Obama is both surprising high, while not hard to understand on deeper reflection.  America has been whipping itself into a frenzied hysteria of frustration and hatred for the last 30 years.  Imagine yourself in the 20 something generation today.  You would have never experienced a government during your brief life that on a good day could actually reach an agreement over an issue.  You would assume that what you have been led to believe is the perfect form of government is something that is normal and as it should be.

You would accept that the hatred spewed on talk radio is justified and necessary.  Many would believe that the victory of an ideology could be achieved only by putting a personification of the ideals of Rush Limbaugh in charge.  If he happened to be an asshole, so much the better for the country.  You would understand that discussion and communication does not work, and that only authoritarian force could extract the proper behavior out of a weak majority opposition, and this would demonstrate to your hated enemies, both foreign and domestic, who the boss of the place is.  And it would be satisfying to know in your heart that's what they deserve.

That part is not tremendously difficult to understand. There is precedent in terms of human behavior.

What gets me is stuff like how a short while ago Trump ripped Clinton (and rightly so) for her association with Goldman Sachs, and today Mnuchin is now treasury secretary.

To be so partisan as to compartmentalize that kind of thing boggles my mind. I find this kind of dissociation to be distinct from blind fervor. More like the kind of thing you'd read in ""1984"", applied only after the rabid nationalism has taken hold.

I cannot say whether the current administration has the intent, and I question if it has the competence to usurp the country, it's just extremely concerning.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 14, 2017, 05:04:27 PM
A plausible idea, but it doesn't explain why this cabinet has ideological leanings so far to the right and consistently at odds with the roles they've been assigned - for example, Rick Perry calling to eliminate the Department of Energy then becoming nominated to be head of the Department of Energy.  You'd think a cabinet chosen purely for loyalty would occasionally have an agreeable appointee.  Even drawing names out of a hat would be better than this.
I would search out each and every appointed cabinet member to discover the where and when that cabinet member aided Trump.  But it upsets my stomach so much that I'll pass on that.  But if one were to do that they'd find he is rewarding them for something they did for him.  I does not care one iota what they will do in that position or if they are fit for it. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 14, 2017, 12:46:53 PM
This is my own little pet hypothesis.  Trump does not give a rats ass about this country, except in the ways he can add money to his own coffers.  He has already said many, many times that if you get on his bad side he stoops to revenge--and his revenge is 10 times what he thinks the transgression was.  On the flip side he rewards those who have aided him quite richly; that is why his cabinet will be totally fucked up--he doesn't care; the cabinet is simply a way to pay off those that are his allies.  His one overriding goal is to amass as much money for himself and then his friends as he can.  If it causes huge problems for the country as a whole does not enter into the equation.  Fleece this country--his one and only goal for his time as president.

Don't worry, nobody can limbo like Millard Fillmore ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 14, 2017, 10:03:25 PM
I would search out each and every appointed cabinet member to discover the where and when that cabinet member aided Trump.
Your suspicion is warranted.

Still, this is like picking Captain Pollution (the polar opposite of Captain Planet) to head the EPA.

AllPurposeAtheist

I would love to think democrats could just run on one issue come time for the midterm elections. That issue would be IMMEDIATE IMPEACHMENT.. I'm a democrat and not in the least ashamed nor should I.
I'm fully aware that democrats also have idiots in the party, but I trust our idiots far more than republican idiots.
Right now republicans are getting perilously close to a position of a midterm massacre if they just go along with the Trump agenda especially with people like Miller telling people that Trump is 100% correct and is not to be questioned by the press.
They're going out of their way to attempt to portray all of the open press as completely untrustworthy and the only voice of reason being Trump.
That's not to say we should always believe everything the press puts out, but Trump forgets that the vast majority of people do get their news from the press. Once the press turns on the president, any president their time is over.
There is just not enough people willing to consider outlets such as Brightbart and the Alex Jones's of the world as credible. When his own party turns on him he's definitely toast, but I wouldn't count on the republican party ever putting country above party. To the contrary, they've shown time and time again they're more than willing to put party above country. The best interest of the nation is taking a back seat to power.
Let's have a good old fashioned midterm massacre and have a huge traffic jam of republicans leaving Washington.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cavebear

Trump selected Cabinet members and advisors who were essentially off-the-wall and who hate the organizations they will be running.  That is never a good management strategy.  Mike Flynn was the first to go by being both conspiracy-minded and a loose canon.  Some others are likely to follow. 

A famous bookie business in Sotland is offerring odds for Trump administration resignations and even Trump resigning.  They might well be right.  But I'll stick to stock indexes.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on February 15, 2017, 01:08:00 AM
Mike Flynn was the first to go by being both conspiracy-minded and a loose canon.
I'm not so sure he was a loose canon. He may well have done exactly what Chump wanted him to do, leaving Chump with plenty of plausible deniability. I'm also not sure he lied to Pence. It may well be that it was Pence who lied to us, not Flynn to him. We'll just have to wait and see.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 15, 2017, 05:36:41 PM
I'm not so sure he was a loose canon. He may well have done exactly what Chump wanted him to do, leaving Chump with plenty of plausible deniability. I'm also not sure he lied to Pence. It may well be that it was Pence who lied to us, not Flynn to him. We'll just have to wait and see.

What happens in the Imperial Palace, stays in the Imperial Palace.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 15, 2017, 01:08:00 AM
Trump selected Cabinet members and advisors who were essentially off-the-wall and who hate the organizations they will be running.  That is never a good management strategy.  Mike Flynn was the first to go by being both conspiracy-minded and a loose canon.  Some others are likely to follow. 

This was done by Reagan too.  The strategy is to weaken the agencies that get in their way.  It's probably been done lots of times.  Not usually in such a defiant way.  They usually spin it as something good for the people.