News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

THe tolerant left

Started by pr126, February 02, 2017, 10:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on February 26, 2017, 11:26:51 AM
Indeed, the book Dune has a lot of reference to the Arab words, culture.
There is a glossary at the end of the book explaining Arabic terms.
Even the word jihad is in the book.

Emperor Saddam? Paul becomes Muad'dib (Muhammad?)
The desert of Arrakis is Iraq.
If I remember Frank Herbert spent some time in Iraq.

The books had real villains that almost everyone would agree about.  That's why the books were popular.  The society they are modeled on has less certain and even imaginary villains.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

“MORE AND MORE, IT SEEMS TO ME, MODERN INDIVIDUALISM ASSUMES THE FORM OF A DESPERATE DENIAL OF THE FACT THAT, THROUGH MIMETIC DESIRE, EACH OF US SEEKS TO IMPOSE HIS WILL UPON HIS FELLOW MAN, WHOM HE DESPISES....EVERYWHERE AND ALWAYS, WHEN HUMAN BEINGS EITHER CANNOT OR DARE NOT TAKE THEIR ANGER OUT ON THE THING THAT HAS CAUSED IT, THEY UNCONSCIOUSLY SEARCH FOR SUBSTITUTES, AND MORE OFTEN THAN NOT THEY FIND THEM.” RENÉ GIRARD, THE ONE BY WHOM SCANDAL COMES

An interesting quote.  We are all Hitlers.  There is a whole in each human soul, but not in the shape of G-d, but in the shape of a guy who looks  like, but isn't Charlie Chaplain.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Good for him, it seems the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Kane seems like a really great guy, not even comparable to the bigotry of our new VP. Was really looking forward to a Spanish speaker at the (almost) top, even if he wasn't a Latino. Instead we got a homophobic theocrat. Yay.

I hope I still live here to vote for our first Latino and Asian candidates, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on March 08, 2017, 01:56:52 PMI hope I still live here to vote for our first Latino and Asian candidates, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Me, too.  Though I hope to live in a society where we vote for candidates that have good policies and whether or not they're ethnic minorities isn't particularly relevant.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 08, 2017, 05:02:01 PM
Suspicion =/= charged =/= convicted.

According to Jesus, we are all innocent, if we will just pull his finger ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on March 08, 2017, 01:56:52 PM
Good for him, it seems the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Kane seems like a really great guy, not even comparable to the bigotry of our new VP. Was really looking forward to a Spanish speaker at the (almost) top, even if he wasn't a Latino. Instead we got a homophobic theocrat. Yay.

I hope I still live here to vote for our first Latino and Asian candidates, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Guantanamo for all the Democrats ... good riddance ;-)  After all, torture is bipartisan approved.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 08, 2017, 05:04:48 PM
Me, too.  Though I hope to live in a society where we vote for candidates that have good policies and whether or not they're ethnic minorities isn't particularly relevant.

Why not both?

I want a Latino/a president because I want someone who looks like me to make it to the top. Same for asian Americans, because they're heavily underrepresented in our society.

It's the same thing as liking an actor because he is Irish or a basketball player because he came from China, a musician coming out of Compton or Corpus Christi... It's not a deal maker or breaker, because if they are shit then no one cares about them. But if they are good, it's just a good feeling to see someone like you making it big.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Yeah, were are all the 7 ft tall Jewish basketball stars!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on March 08, 2017, 11:37:41 PM
Yeah, were are all the 7 ft tall Jewish basketball stars!

Omri Caspi, though not 7 foot, is an Israeli one. Landry Fields was, but couldn't keep his knee in one piece, now a youth scout for the Spurs. Amari Stoudamire is pretty devout, his mom was Jewish iirc.

Farmar was, but he sucks and seems like a douche.