News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

There is no God PERIOD

Started by Ro3bert, February 01, 2017, 08:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

"Is a scientist who creates a virtual universe transcendent to that universe or do I just call her transcendent for disprovable sake?"

I already gave an example of transcendent elsewhere (see Intro).  And I didn't mean transcendental numbers either.  You are using a theology word to define something scientific ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

When I write software and execute it ... I am not transcending it ... the software and I are in the same universe (by definition).  To transcend means to be outside the universe ... where there is no time, no space and no cause/effect (which are properties of this universe, not attributes more general than the universe)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Drew_2017

Quote from: sdelsolray on February 09, 2017, 11:13:24 AM
This one is already repeating his material.

It was suggested I was making a God in the gaps argument which is not true. I make a God of the facts argument.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Hydra009

Quote from: Drew_2017 on February 09, 2017, 01:25:46 PMIt was suggested I was making a God in the gaps argument which is not true. I make a God of the facts argument.

Drew_2017

Quote from: Baruch on February 09, 2017, 12:54:36 PM
"Is a scientist who creates a virtual universe transcendent to that universe or do I just call her transcendent for disprovable sake?"

I already gave an example of transcendent elsewhere (see Intro).  And I didn't mean transcendental numbers either.  You are using a theology word to define something scientific ...

When I write software and execute it ... I am not transcending it ... the software and I are in the same universe (by definition).  To transcend means to be outside the universe ... where there is no time, no space and no cause/effect (which are properties of this universe, not attributes more general than the universe)

Not according to definitions I have seen...

the state of excelling or surpassing or going beyond usual limits

a state of being or existence above and beyond the limits of material experience

I would say humans are transcendent to the animal kingdom. As sentient beings capable of making autonomous decisions we are also transcendent to the naturalistic mechanistic forces that are alleged to have caused the universe sentient beings to exist.

Granted the hardware and software used to create virtual universes are themselves subject to the laws of physics. The virtual universes themselves are subject to the human gods that caused them to exist and dictate the laws of physics within those universes. I think that qualifies for transcendence...

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

widdershins

Quote from: Drew_2017 on February 09, 2017, 10:42:07 AM
To widdershins

I'm just not explaining it very well and I'm not talking about a point 3 inches away, I'm talking about arriving at this time in history. Most scientists believe the universe and time began about 13.5 billion years ago. Long time but wait long enough and 13.5 billion years will pass. What if it was 100 billion years ago...no problem wait a 100 billion years ago and  here we are again writing to each other in the year 2017. What it if the universe began an infinitude ago? Notice I'm using the word began which doesn't really apply. If it 'began' an infinitude ago it would take an infinitude of time to reach this time in history. We would wait forever...
Again, yes, I fully understand what you are saying.  The problem with that way of thinking is that if it were true, NOTHING could EVER happen.  There would be no events ever because you would have to wait an infinity of time to get to the point where they happened.  But also EVERYTHING would have happened.  With an infinity of time the chances become infinitely small that a given thing won't happen.

The problem is you're just saying, "This is the way it is" without giving any mechanism which would actually prevent anything from ever happening.  I understand that there would be an infinity of time before this and an infinity of time after this.  So yes, if you smoke a little weed and mull it over with your friends your idea does sound very clever.  But if it were true then an infinitely large amount of time would be functionally equivalent to an infinitely small amount of time in that nothing could ever happen.  In an infinitely small amount of time, that makes sense.  You are talking about "zero" time, so no time for anything to happen.  If you have "14 billion years" of time then you have 14 billion years for things to happen and you get quite a bit more going on.  If you have an infinity of time then you get infinitely more things happening.  That's kind of how time works.  So to say "X could not have happened because you would have to traverse an infinity of time to get to this point", yes, it sounds smart if you don't give it too much thought, but it's just not.

I don't describe God as infinite, I describe God as transcendent. This would be analogous to a scientist who causes a virtual universe to exist, the scientist is transcendent to the virtual universe.

Is a scientist who creates a virtual universe transcendent to that universe or do I just call her transcendent for disprovable sake?
Scientists and gods are dissimilar.  Simulations and sentient beings are equally dissimilar.  Like your little statement for why an infinity of time is impossible, this is not something you have evidence for.  It's just something you got high and came up with one day.  Reaching a conclusion because the evidence takes you to that conclusion is respectable.  Reaching a conclusion simply because it supports other conclusions you've already reached is not.
This sentence is a lie...

sdelsolray

Quote from: Drew_2017 on February 09, 2017, 01:25:46 PM
It was suggested I was making a God in the gaps argument which is not true. I make a God of the facts argument.

Just not in any way you can demonstrate, aka "Says you".

Blackleaf

Assuming there was an infinite amount of time before now, let's use something simple to represent it. The number 0 is the present. Negative numbers are the past. Positive numbers are the future. Infinity extends in both directions, so how did we get to 0? It doesn't matter. 0 is a fixed point on the infinite line. Infinity doesn't change that the 0 exists.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

I don't describe God as infinite, I describe God as transcendent. This would be analogous to a scientist who causes a virtual universe to exist, the scientist is transcendent to the virtual universe.

Is a scientist who creates a virtual universe transcendent to that universe or do I just call her transcendent for disprovable sake?
No, the scientist is 'not' transcendent to anything that scientist creates.  He may create a virtual universe, but that universe is still subject to all the physical laws of our universe.  The scientist is not creating anything new, only trying to make as close as possible an exact copy of our universe.  There is no such thing as a 'transcendent' creation in this universe--there never has been and there never will be.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on February 09, 2017, 12:54:36 PM

ich kann sie nicht verstehen.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on February 09, 2017, 02:11:14 PM
Not according to definitions I have seen...

the state of excelling or surpassing or going beyond usual limits

a state of being or existence above and beyond the limits of material experience

I would say humans are transcendent to the animal kingdom. As sentient beings capable of making autonomous decisions we are also transcendent to the naturalistic mechanistic forces that are alleged to have caused the universe sentient beings to exist.

Granted the hardware and software used to create virtual universes are themselves subject to the laws of physics. The virtual universes themselves are subject to the human gods that caused them to exist and dictate the laws of physics within those universes. I think that qualifies for transcendence...

You are making a play on the ambiguity of English.  That is a fallacy in itself.  Stick to poetry, you suck at physics ;-)  I happen to agree that people are demigods, just not for the reason you list.  But you can't make a scientific argument for it ... because it is transcendent, and science is only for immanence, not transcendence.

See, to do a lot of things, you have to have a "human in the loop" somewhere.  Sometimes you can substitute other critters, a horse for a rickshaw guy.  But all robots are machines.  All computers merely execute the algorithms that are input to them (even if there is subsequent runtime input).  There is no god in the machine ... it was a god who made the machine, and keeps it working.  Bow down and worship your IT staff, puny humans!

AI is always fake ... but the human is better hidden these days ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turk
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

...What it if the universe began an infinitude ago? Notice I'm using the word began which doesn't really apply. If it 'began' an infinitude ago it would take an infinitude of time to reach this time in history. We would wait forever...
You seem to think, that proving time had a beginning, somehow strengthens your theistic position, when I see it as strengthening the naturalistic one.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

widdershins

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on February 09, 2017, 09:35:11 PM
You seem to think, that proving time had a beginning, somehow strengthens your theistic position, when I see it as strengthening the naturalistic one.
Hell, I don't even believe time is infinite and I STILL don't believe in his God, so you bring up a very good point.
This sentence is a lie...

Godis

I've always wondered if Jesus is not God, then why do non-believers go so much out of their way to try and convince others it's not true? If something is "truly" false, then any human would know it to be self-evident through their own experiences.  And trying to compel others to believe something contrary to what God may have instilled in them to believe (which is a very private experience!) is a losing battle!

FinalSomnia

You wonder why people would try to tell other people something isn't true if that thing isn't true? That's basically what you're saying here.
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.