News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Evidence for God

Started by TJ, February 01, 2017, 05:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 07:50:15 PM
Most certainly ... but even if your knowledge of someone (not something) is consistently (more or less) gives your confidence in them, then your trust (but not anyone else's) is justifiable, is it not?

If I meet a celebrity, and people don't believe that I did, it's because my experience does not match theirs. Next time you meet god, take his photograph and have him sign it for us. Then we will know you're telling the truth.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 07:50:15 PM
Most certainly ... but even if your knowledge of someone (not something) is consistently (more or less) gives your confidence in them, then your trust (but not anyone else's) is justifiable, is it not?

Certainly, so long as the person is physically available in order for me to interact with him/her.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 12, 2017, 07:52:22 PM
If I meet a celebrity, and people don't believe that I did, it's because my experience does not match theirs. Next time you meet god, take his photograph and have him sign it for us. Then we will know you're telling the truth.

We meet G-d all the time, in our fellow humans, and in any other living thing, and even nonliving thing.  But you don't recognize Her.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 08:02:30 PM
We meet G-d all the time, in our fellow humans, and in any other living thing, and even nonliving thing.  But you don't recognize Her.

*Queues Joan of Arcadia*

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 08:04:02 PM
*Queues Joan of Arcadia*

Art is how we articulate our understanding of reality.  Hamlet really isn't about Denmark in the Middle Ages ... it is much more profound than that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 08:06:06 PM
Art is how we articulate our understanding of reality.  Hamlet really isn't about Denmark in the Middle Ages ... it is much more profound than that.

You are correct, it is more psychological in nature.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 08:09:19 PM
You are correct, it is more psychological in nature.

All human existence is performance art, psycho-drama.  Que the stage at Theater of Dionysus, Athens, 420 BCE.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 12:02:27 AM
If god was real and theists had actual evidence for his existence, wouldn't faith be null and void?

Therefore, what is the point of having faith if there is actual evidence of god's existence?

But there isn't.  And good for us, because a deity could pull the plug on us anytime.  And as dumb as we can be, I'll trust our survival on ourselves more than some deity's whim...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

fencerider

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 12:02:27 AM
what is the point of having faith if there is actual evidence of god's existence?

yes, well some of these Christian people have been doing this faith thing for so long they couldn't function without it. Others have been so programmed to the ethereal that they wouldn't believe your evidence is real. So find the real evidence for the atheists, but keep faith around to keep the natives happy...
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on February 14, 2017, 12:12:09 AM
yes, well some of these Christian people have been doing this faith thing for so long they couldn't function without it. Others have been so programmed to the ethereal that they wouldn't believe your evidence is real. So find the real evidence for the atheists, but keep faith around to keep the natives happy...

i can keep one foot in each camp.  That is what defines a shaman.  Never go full retard, either direction.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 12, 2017, 07:10:04 PM
Actually, that's a pretty good way to define faith. Belief in something that doesn't make sense.
Yep, the word "God" is just another way of saying "I don't understand!"
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Sorginak

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 14, 2017, 07:20:13 PM
Yep, the word "God" is just another way of saying "I don't understand!"

Precisely, god is used as a means for intellectually lazy individuals to fill in the gaps. 

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 14, 2017, 06:34:29 AM
i can keep one foot in each camp.  That is what defines a shaman.  Never go full retard, either direction.

The perfect definition of any successful religious leader...  No actual belief, just happy to have a scam job involving no real work.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 15, 2017, 02:32:51 AM
The perfect definition of any successful religious leader...  No actual belief, just happy to have a scam job involving no real work.

Perhaps.  All real religious leaders are heretics, but they are rare.  The rest are "management" which is the same everywhere.  So do you oppose the idle rich?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.