News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Evidence for God

Started by TJ, February 01, 2017, 05:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob

Well I'm probably becoming a little aggressive in my old age.

I just never understood the point of faith. It always sounded like a fear tactic to me. Believe what I say! I don't have to prove it but you have to believe it.

That's basically how christians operate.

Sorginak

True, no reason to disagree.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 12:13:32 AM
Granted, though I would rather approach the subject rather less antagonistically.

People burned by lies and fraud ... are more sensitive than the unvictimized.  There are multiple meanings for most English words, but the sense of "faith" being used ... can easily be seen to be easily abused.  Another meaning isn't "blind faith" but "trust" ... but that meaning has its own problems.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 02:20:26 AM
but the sense of "faith" being used ... can easily be seen to be easily abused.

I doubt it, unless you are willing to provide that alternate, "easily" abused allusive meaning. 

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 02:37:38 AM
I doubt it, unless you are willing to provide that alternate, "easily" abused allusive meaning.

Rhetoric, used by Sophists.  Abuse of language is a universal occurrence.  Example: trust as "faith" ... I don't trust you, I am from Missouri, the Show Me state.  If you don't Show Me, then you are a used car salesman.  And if I do show me, I look under the hood ;-)

Obviously, if one means "blind faith" then there is a problem, that the blind one, is blind to.  Power of positive thinking is real however, just not how people think.  The Muslim armies had faith ... aka confidence ... that they could defeat their enemies.  This was often true.  Their superior morale was crucial in many cases.  But it couldn't make up for the "facts on the ground".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: doorknob on February 12, 2017, 12:39:19 AM
Well I'm probably becoming a little aggressive in my old age.

I just never understood the point of faith. It always sounded like a fear tactic to me. Believe what I say! I don't have to prove it but you have to believe it.

That's basically how christians operate.
I agree.  And to add to that point, the 'faithful' use the fact they have faith as proof that they are one of the faithful (those who are not swayed by reason) as a badge of honor.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 12, 2017, 10:47:55 AM
I agree.  And to add to that point, the 'faithful' use the fact they have faith as proof that they are one of the faithful (those who are not swayed by reason) as a badge of honor.

Most people are ignorant fools ... sometimes we are too.  Have a little empathy, then anger is unnecessary.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 10:51:23 AM
Most people are ignorant fools ... sometimes we are too.  Have a little empathy, then anger is unnecessary.
Of what value is empathy when dealing with a person's willful ignorance?  I can have empathy when dealing with a person who is (pops, for example) willfully ignorant, but have displayed anger at their willfully ignorant (or just stupid) ideas.  Because I display anger toward an ideal does not mean I am angry at the person. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

fencerider

Quote from: doorknob on February 12, 2017, 12:39:19 AM
I just never understood the point of faith.
Me neder. I asked a few people to explain faith. They say something that doesn't make sense. I ask another question. It keeps going while they get more frustrated. Then finally they explain it by saying "You just have to have faith". Hello?? Isn't that the word you were trying to define???

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 08:43:31 AM
Power of positive thinking is real
Does this mean that by thinking about god, they are creating god in their heads?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Sorginak

Quote from: fencerider on February 12, 2017, 06:21:28 PM

Does this mean that by thinking about god, they are creating god in their heads?

I personally do not adhere to the positive thinking spiel, yet from a psychological standpoint it does make sense that the comfort theists receive as a result of the positive thoughts they have in regards to god's existence does strengthen their faith no matter how misguided or lost from reason it is.

Baruch

"Does this mean that by thinking about god, they are creating god in their heads?" ... though it might not meet your definition of a god, let alone G-d.  Demi-gods do that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: fencerider on February 12, 2017, 06:21:28 PM
Me neder. I asked a few people to explain faith. They say something that doesn't make sense. I ask another question. It keeps going while they get more frustrated. Then finally they explain it by saying "You just have to have faith". Hello?? Isn't that the word you were trying to define???

Actually, that's a pretty good way to define faith. Belief in something that doesn't make sense.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 12, 2017, 07:10:04 PM
Actually, that's a pretty good way to define faith. Belief in something that doesn't make sense.

Definition of blind faith, not in justifiable trust.  Of course even justifiable trust isn't perfect.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 07:43:27 PM
Definition of blind faith, not in justifiable trust.  Of course even justifiable trust isn't perfect.

What do you consider justifiable trust?  In something all can experience on the plane of evidence?

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 07:45:40 PM
What do you consider justifiable trust?  In something all can experience on the plane of evidence?

Most certainly ... but even if your knowledge of someone (not something) is consistently (more or less) gives your confidence in them, then your trust (but not anyone else's) is justifiable, is it not?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.