News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Evidence for God

Started by TJ, February 01, 2017, 05:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 01:58:41 PM
Its a simple straightforward question.  Do you think anything can travel faster than a photon?

Yes and no ... creating a post for this in the physics section, if you care to continue ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: TJ on February 01, 2017, 05:27:49 AM
babble/snip

and yet god is befuddled by the menses and foiled by iron chariots...shit man..find your self a REAL god. At least Odin killed off the ice giants.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 05, 2017, 10:46:46 AMThat is funny, isn't it? How Christians are all experts on what God is like, what's important to him, what his attributes are. But as soon as someone criticizes their god, he suddenly becomes unknowable.
My favorite one is that God is crystal clear that homosexuality is an abomination, but the age of the Earth?  Just don't know.  Could be 6,000.  Could be 4.5 billion.

Experts in where you can stick your dick, but don't science so good.  Coincidentally, the second statement is the one that can be objectively disproven.  So if you don't know what you're talking about and you're just making stuff up as you go along, it's way safer to stick to the sex stuff.

widdershins

Quote from: aitm on February 05, 2017, 04:13:51 PM
and yet god is befuddled by the menses and foiled by iron chariots...shit man..find your self a REAL god. At least Odin killed off the ice giants.
That meme used to be my phone background.
This sentence is a lie...

trdsf

Yaknow, if you're going to assert your bible as an authority, we need to see the independent support for it.  It isn't a text book or reference library.  And if just existing as a large book is enough to make it authoritative, then there's just as much evidence for the existence of a school for wizards and witches in the UK.

As for the rest of the argument, it's just the "But... but... but... rainbows!  Sunsets!  Puppies!  Therefore god!" argument writ large, and it's still not compelling.

Stars don't have a 'purpose' beyond fusing hydrogen (and if large enough, heavier elements), and perhaps exploding.  What they have is an explanation.  We know, to the limits of current observation and theory, how they work and how they come about.  And that knowledge is subject to change as further information and better theories come in.

This is why science is better than faith: it has both the humility and the wisdom to say, "I don't know everything, so let's independently check my result -- which is provisional anyway pending better observations and a more complete theory."  They don't say (except for a couple rare exceptions, physical limitation things like not having fractional atomic numbers) that something is definitely the case, period, end of statement.

The god hypothesis offers nothing of value in comparison to that.  No awe, no wonder, no drive to look further.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

I offer a new deity; the God Of Static.  That exists. Ouch!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 11, 2017, 06:52:59 AM
I offer a new deity; the God Of Static.  That exists. Ouch!

The enemy of the goddess, Electronica!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: trdsf on February 07, 2017, 01:13:35 PM
The god hypothesis offers nothing of value
oh but it does, it does laughed the priest all the way to the bank.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on February 11, 2017, 12:12:30 PM
oh but it does, it does laughed the priest all the way to the bank.

There is a story about this somewhere ... ah, in 1 Samuel, about the sons of Eli.  Nothing new under the Biblical sun.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

The only god whose existence you need to worry about is our Lord and Lizard.

Equal opportunity butt-stabber.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Good thing ... if you pull off Godzilla's tail, he can grow a new one ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Poison Tree

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 04:34:39 PM
Good thing ... if you pull off Godzilla's tail, he can grow a new one ;-)
The real question is if the tail will grow a new Godzilla
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Sorginak

If god was real and theists had actual evidence for his existence, wouldn't faith be null and void?

Therefore, what is the point of having faith if there is actual evidence of god's existence?

doorknob

What is the point of having faith period!

Faith in god is another word for stupidity. Believe what I tell you. I can't prove it so you have to have faith that what I am saying is true.

Does that sound like fraud to you? It does to me.

Sorginak

Granted, though I would rather approach the subject rather less antagonistically.