News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Mid-Term Elections in 2018

Started by Solomon Zorn, February 01, 2017, 02:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on February 03, 2017, 07:21:54 AM"Support the policies," yes. The "Do not waiver" part is what I have trouble with. That sounds like what the Republicans have been doing, that blocked most every progressive action lately, including denying Obama the nomination of a Supreme Court Justice for over a year. The inflexibility of both sides is what is causing a lot of this hostility in the country.
I meant not wavering in the context of ardently supporting liberal policies before and after getting elected.  As in not backing down from universal healthcare when you catch a little heat from Fox News or when a lobbyist strolls into town.

I fully support working with the Trump and the other Republicans towards common goals.  Want to fix the country's infrastructure?  Let's do it.  Want to waste money for some grandiose border wall and do some Operation Wetback crap?  No dice.

QuoteThis is a good idea, as long as you don't take it too far and make false connections, just to smear your opponent.
And it's the easiest target in the world and you can be 100% honest.  It's a gimme.

QuoteGood integrity is still important. It's just harder to win that way.
It's the only way to win long term.  Winning just to win is meaningless.  Winning to advance sane policies is the only true victory.

Quote(Donald Trump, is the master of taking the "quick and easy path" of fear and hate, in his lust for power. Just like any well trained Lord-of-the-Sith.)
Quick and easy dies quick and easy, too.  Just ask Palpatine.  :)

Trump's out of step with America.  Have you seen how young people are leaning?  It's a goddamn disaster for the Republicans just waiting to happen!

All you have to do is point that Trump's way off base every chance you get.  Hey, did you hear he's pro-Torture?  Did you hear that his pal Pompeo wants to put Snowden to death?  Did you hear he can't even have a rational discussion with the PM of Australia without slamming down the phone like a big ol' man-baby?  Just go to town with that stuff.  Shout it from the rooftops.

Meanwhile, support Democrats who are actually liberal and who are willing to fight to enact liberal policies, policies that the public already largely agrees with.  You know how idiots low-information voters always say that they can't tell the Republican and Democrat candidates apart?  Make it look laughably stupid in the primaries and then at the next presidential election.  Lay out the policy differences in no uncertain terms.  Ask the people if they want to support 4 more years of misrule or if they want to support a better way.

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on February 04, 2017, 04:09:53 AMThere has to be an alternative response to lying shit-hole propaganda, than to give back in kind.
There is.  Call them out.  Let 'em know that they're crackpots and suckers and let everyone else watching know it, too.  If they like "alternative facts", let them carry that label around with 'em everywhere they go.  Make them a joke.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 01, 2017, 07:06:12 AM
Gerrymandering ... but y'all have to stop throwing the blue collar workers under the bus, or the janitor won't take your trash out.  Right now, y'all are good with The Man replacing all blue collar workers with robots, so they don't have to pay a minimum wage.  But white collar workers are easier to replace, so do keep up the caste and class warfare, just so you can have a cheaper latte.

Many people voted for Trump thinking he would drain the swamp and make processes clear and fair.  As time passes, they will see he will do neither and only empower businesses to break all social rules for utter profiteering.  In 2018, the farmers and other mid-nation voters may see that he is exactly what they feared government could be run amok.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 05:02:27 AM
Many people voted for Trump thinking he would drain the swamp and make processes clear and fair.  As time passes, they will see he will do neither and only empower businesses to break all social rules for utter profiteering.  In 2018, the farmers and other mid-nation voters may see that he is exactly what they feared government could be run amok.

I am hoping for one giant Guantanamo prison, coast to coast, with daily beatings.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 09:18:03 AM
I am hoping for one giant Guantanamo prison, coast to coast, with daily beatings.

Sarcasm does not translate well into future quotes... 

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 05:02:27 AM
Exactly.  They thought he'd be the anti-corruption candidate.  He's not by a long shot.  Let 'em know about Trump's appointees.  Let 'em know about Trump's conflicts of interest.  Let 'em know that a Republican-backed bill designed to promote corruption is headed to Trump's desk.  Is he going to do the right thing and veto it or is he going to be a tool of special interests and pass it?  If he chooses poorly, let his supporters and politically moderate people know what kind of President they got.  Make it practically impossible to not know about his stance on corruption.

Baruch

Trump was the Tea Party candidate ... I suspect the British were involved ;-)  He is the enemy the D and R party, of everything that is right and good (about putrid American politics).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

chill98

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 05, 2017, 11:33:01 AM
Exactly.  They thought he'd be the anti-corruption candidate.  He's not by a long shot.  Let 'em know about Trump's appointees.  Let 'em know about Trump's conflicts of interest.  Let 'em know that a Republican-backed bill designed to promote corruption is headed to Trump's desk.  Is he going to do the right thing and veto it or is he going to be a tool of special interests and pass it?  If he chooses poorly, let his supporters and politically moderate people know what kind of President they got.  Make it practically impossible to not know about his stance on corruption.
LOL
The washington DC swamp drain has nothing to do with corporate business practices.  Want something to whine about, how about OBAMA signing modifications to the insider trading STOCK act going on in DC, introduced by Harry Reid (D).

QuoteThe exact opposite happened last week when they eliminated some key provisions of their much publicized self-policing act. On Thursday, April 11th, Senator Harry Reid introduced and passed S. 716 with no debate and no recorded vote. The next day, after all scheduled business had already been finished, Rep. Eric Cantor introduced and passed the same bill, also with no debate and no recorded vote. President Obama signed this hastily-passed and under-examined bill into law on Monday, April 15th.

http://www.congressionaldish.com/s-716-gut-the-stock-act/

Keep telling yourself Hillary would NEVER do that because democrats are oh so pure and innocent....

Baruch

When politicians are unanimous, and do a voice only vote ... you know the citizen is getting it in the ass.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 11:50:10 AM
Trump was the Tea Party candidate ... I suspect the British were involved ;-)  He is the enemy the D and R party, of everything that is right and good (about putrid American politics).

This, too, shall pass.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 12:25:02 PM
This, too, shall pass.

The cess pool of politics is never full.  Always more citizens to toss into the policy compost pile with the kitchen scraps.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 12:27:03 PM
The cess pool of politics is never full.  Always more citizens to toss into the policy compost pile with the kitchen scraps.

Politicians aren't compostable.  Well, it takes a special permit for "hazardous materiel".  Attracts rats...

Hydra009

Quote from: chill98 on February 05, 2017, 12:17:40 PMKeep telling yourself Hillary would NEVER do that because democrats are oh so pure and innocent....
Cavebear, this is a pretty good example of people you won't reach.  They'll back Trump at every turn, deflect from the issue by attacking Obama or Clinton, and defend the indefensible.  These people are stuck in their own little "alternative facts" world and there's no changing that.

Fortunately, winning elections doesn't require a unanimous vote.  Talk with people who don't suckle at the Breitbart teet.  People who weren't sold on Clinton but hold positions that overlap at least a little with liberal positions.  People who are still open to reason.  Those are the people who'll flip the script on election day.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 05, 2017, 12:33:03 PM
Cavebear, this is a pretty good example of people you won't reach.  They'll back Trump at every turn, deflect from the issue by attacking Obama or Clinton, and defend the indefensible.  These people are stuck in their own little "alternative facts" world and there's no changing that.

Fortunately, winning elections doesn't require a unanimous vote.  Talk with people who don't suckle at the Breitbart teet.  People who weren't sold on Clinton but hold positions that overlap at least a little with liberal positions.  People who are still open to reason.  Those are the people who'll flip the script on election day.

Real D people (who are they perchance?) are reasonable?  Who knew?  Yes ... policy compromise is the worst of all possible worlds, and that is the best ... if you are self destructive.  Like having only a little bit of shariah, instead of all of it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 05, 2017, 12:33:03 PM

I know, and that's the hard part.  The majority of voters (yeah less than a majority of the populace) chose Clinton and Gore.  We are beginning to feel really p***ed off about it.

I majored in History and Political Science.  Some Psychology and Sociology in there too.  I know where the people itch.  I just never thought the Merchantile Dictatorship would start in MY lifetime. 

Stuff happens, it's coming, and I'm glad I'm oldish and a lot protected.  I have no wish to be the age of my grandneices and nephews.  The fewmets are going to hit the windmill soon...