News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Mid-Term Elections in 2018

Started by Solomon Zorn, February 01, 2017, 02:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

After reading a little, I don't think it would be easy for the Democrats to take back any branch of the government, with a majority, in 2018. But if we come out in force, in the mid-term elections, we can make substantial progress, toward winning a majority in 2020. A two stage battle to win back both the house and the senate in 8 years.

Turnout for mid-terms is usually pretty low, with Democratic voters being somewhat more complacent, about mid-terms, than Republican voters. We have to get people fired-up about it, which will probably be easier than usual, with the direction that the incumbents appear to be taking the country.

Another challenge is putting forth exceptional candidates. It takes a combination of knowledge, compassion, and creativity. But all that is useless, without a measure of charisma.

The third problem, that I see, is Gerrymandering:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/01/31/the-supreme-court-will-examine-partisan-gerrymandering-in-2017-that-could-change-the-voting-map/?utm_term=.e4980df4977f
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Baruch

Gerrymandering ... but y'all have to stop throwing the blue collar workers under the bus, or the janitor won't take your trash out.  Right now, y'all are good with The Man replacing all blue collar workers with robots, so they don't have to pay a minimum wage.  But white collar workers are easier to replace, so do keep up the caste and class warfare, just so you can have a cheaper latte.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Atheon

That assumes there will be elections. Once Bannon's coup is complete, we will all be thinking happy thoughts as we labor for the greater glory of the Fatherland. That is, if we're lucky enough to have white skin and a penis.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

I would be happy to suspend elections, until the American people got a clue ;-)  But not holding my breath for either.  Back to the Founding Fathers ... you have to be a White adult male, holding sufficient property .. or you don't get to vote ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Atheon on February 01, 2017, 10:24:38 AM
That assumes there will be elections. Once Bannon's coup is complete, we will all be thinking happy thoughts as we labor for the greater glory of the Fatherland. That is, if we're lucky enough to have white skin and a penis.
I have both, but I'd be happy to give them both to a wood chipper if it would prevent the coming civil war. I wondered which country Chump would make war on first, and realized he's already at war with one: America, and he'll likely have to win that war before he takes on further militarism - except the Middle East , of course, since we've always been and always will be at war with the Middle East.

I'm afraid the polarity of the country is about to come to a head.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Atheon on February 01, 2017, 10:24:38 AM
That assumes there will be elections.

Yeah, I'm afraid that last election we had may be just that.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 01, 2017, 04:52:44 PM
I have both, but I'd be happy to give them both to a wood chipper if it would prevent the coming civil war. I wondered which country Chump would make war on first, and realized he's already at war with one: America, and he'll likely have to win that war before he takes on further militarism - except the Middle East , of course, since we've always been and always will be at war with the Middle East.

I'm afraid the polarity of the country is about to come to a head.

Bill, George W and Barak made war on America ... and America is still winning.  Trump will lose this war too, the Feds always lose the war they start.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Again, we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 01, 2017, 07:41:45 PM
Again, we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?

Yes, I expect to see the the majority of the religious burning in Hell, for following the wrong god.  The atheists will be found innocent, by reason of sanity ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Poison Tree

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on February 01, 2017, 02:27:28 AM
The third problem, that I see, is Gerrymandering:
The next us census is 2020 which will be followed by congressional redistricting which, in 32 states, is handled by the state legislature. Democrats must focus on winning these state legislatures.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Poison Tree on February 01, 2017, 09:37:04 PM
The next us census is 2020 which will be followed by congressional redistricting which, in 32 states, is handled by the state legislature. Democrats must focus on winning these state legislatures.
Thanks for responding to the topic, rather than the rant.

My strategy is simple: I would say that Democrats need to get out and vote for the Democratic candidate, in pretty much every office that is up for reelection.

Here in Indiana, we must, at the very least, keep Senator Joe Donnelly in office. He is up for reelection in 2018.

Hoosier Democrats lost the one really important position we had, when we lost the office of Indiana Secretary of Education, this election. I fear we may not get that one back.

But Indiana is a blood-red state. I have more hope for California.

Baruch

California isn't called the Left Coast for nothing.  But the way things are going there, Gringos Need Not Apply.  Self hating identity politics will disarm any Anglos still in the state.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

At this point I'm just glad that I'm closer to dying of old age than ever. Of course this is true for every man, woman and child who ever breathed in oxygen.
You ARE closer to dying of old age than you ever were. By the time you finish reading this you'll be even closer.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2017, 03:47:07 AM
California isn't called the Left Coast for nothing.  But the way things are going there, Gringos Need Not Apply.  Self hating identity politics will disarm any Anglos still in the state.
Why do you insist on inflammatory rhetoric? And why must you always take these barely relevant tangents? The topic is about considering what is a good strategy, for the Democrats to shorten the time necessary, to mitigate the disaster, that was the last election.

To paraphrase Gold Five: "Stay on topic! Stay on topic!"

Solomon Zorn

I know there are a lot of Democrats on here. Aren't any interested in strategizing? Or do they just think it's hopeless?