News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Mid-Term Elections in 2018

Started by Solomon Zorn, February 01, 2017, 02:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chill98

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 05, 2017, 12:33:03 PM
Cavebear, this is a pretty good example of people you won't reach.  They'll back Trump at every turn, deflect from the issue by attacking Obama or Clinton, and defend the indefensible.  These people are stuck in their own little "alternative facts" world and there's no changing that.

Fortunately, winning elections doesn't require a unanimous vote.  Talk with people who don't suckle at the Breitbart teet.  People who weren't sold on Clinton but hold positions that overlap at least a little with liberal positions.  People who are still open to reason.  Those are the people who'll flip the script on election day.
Maybe you should take your own advice.  Starting with Draining the DC swamp is different than establishing/repealing a corporate law.  REMINDER Trump campaigned on REDUCING Regulations. Different aspect than addressing the DC swamp.  Get it yet?  Understand they are different aspects of governing?  Alternative Facts indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxBkpHVJ1OA

Cavebear

Quote from: chill98 on February 05, 2017, 12:44:16 PM
Maybe you should take your own advice.  Starting with Draining the DC swamp is different than establishing/repealing a corporate law.  REMINDER Trump campaigned on REDUCING Regulations. Different aspect than addressing the DC swamp.  Get it yet?  Understand they are different aspects of governing?  Alternative Facts indeed.

Trump claimed to despise Goldman-Sachs yet gave them the financial keys.  And his suporters said "don't worry, he won't do those things he said he would do".  Don't take him literally.

He did and will do more.

Every dictator starts by saying what he will do and everyone is SHOCKED afterwards.

And remember what "dictator" means.  I speak, you shut up and listen.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

chill98

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 01:01:58 PM
Trump claimed to despise Goldman-Sachs yet gave them the financial keys. 
Weeell, the above is a broad generalization without much substance. Without taking much time to research exactly what is going on, so far, there is some nominations with a strong GoldmanSachs tie. Mnuchin - with 17 years of working for them, sounds like daddy got him the job.  But he did part ways with them back in 2002.

Gary D. Cohn - 25+ years at GS.  Surprisingly, he is a democrat.  Reading his wiki entry, I don't like this guy.

Erin Walsh seems good but there is very little info easily found on her- https://theantiquitiescoalition.org/about-us/erin-walsh/

Bannon worked for GS back in the mid 80s to 1990.  5-7 years? something like that, the wiki is not exact, however, I did not know Bannon was assigned to the Pentagon when enlisted.  Far removed from GS now and with that little amount of time... sounds like the job just wasn't for him.

Anyways, hate to say it, but your mcNugget sized packets of an incomplete picture reveal your own internal bias.  I have no doubt I will dislike some of the things Trump does.  Hasn't been an admin yet that I have agreed with 100%.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 12:42:40 PM
I know, and that's the hard part.  The majority of voters (yeah less than a majority of the populace) chose Clinton and Gore.  We are beginning to feel really p***ed off about it.

I majored in History and Political Science.  Some Psychology and Sociology in there too.  I know where the people itch.  I just never thought the Merchantile Dictatorship would start in MY lifetime. 

Stuff happens, it's coming, and I'm glad I'm oldish and a lot protected.  I have no wish to be the age of my grandneices and nephews.  The fewmets are going to hit the windmill soon...

No merchantilism?  What have we been doing with China?  Alexander Hamilton worked originally for the British West Indies Company ... as a teen age sea going smuggler.  That is our founder of Wall Street.  They don't compare our financiers to pirates for nothing.

Well ... at least one cabinet nominee has been stopped.  The Democrats are all tucked out now.  They only won this one because they hid the key to the Congressional bathroom, and all the Republicans were off on a wild goose chase looking for it ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on February 03, 2017, 06:13:15 PM
You might be ready to read Machiavelli.  Time to graduate from the Komsomol.
I assume you're referring to The Prince? Been there, done that.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 05, 2017, 11:33:01 AM
Exactly.  They thought he'd be the anti-corruption candidate.  He's not by a long shot.  Let 'em know about Trump's appointees.  Let 'em know about Trump's conflicts of interest.  Let 'em know that a Republican-backed bill designed to promote corruption is headed to Trump's desk.  Is he going to do the right thing and veto it or is he going to be a tool of special interests and pass it?  If he chooses poorly, let his supporters and politically moderate people know what kind of President they got.  Make it practically impossible to not know about his stance on corruption.
Can't be done as long as Chump's supporters are all in their own little bubble, never to see a reliable bit of info.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Solomon Zorn

I live in northwest Indiana, and it hasn't escaped my notice that the gay mayor of South Bend, is running for DNC chair. I'm wondering how that will play, if he gets the seat. He's a great guy, and I have a lot of respect for him. Very level headed, and a true consensus-builder. If we have a gay president, in  my lifetime, It will be Pete Buttigieg.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

trdsf

There are a couple things working against Asshole and his lackeys in Congress.

First is that except under unusual circumstances, midterm elections almost always go against the party occupying the White House.  The main exceptions have been 1998, when Gingrich foolishly made the midterms a referendum on Bill Clinton, and the public sided with Clinton; and in 2002 in the immediate wake of 9/11 and the Afghanistan invasion, siding with Dubya.

Second is that Asshole is both scaring away the fringes of his support (the core is hopeless), and activating the opposition, and comes into office with historic disapproval ratings for an incoming guy.  There's already a plurality (not yet a majority) that supports impeaching him.  Already.

And third is that he's also starting to scare major corporate groups, especially the tech sector.  The banks and energy companies don't give a shit and are on board with him, but there's an awful lot of power and money behind Apple and Google.  Even the Koch boys aren't sure about him, and a Repub who can't rely on them is in deep trouble.

On the flip side, first, it's hard to say we're not already under historical circumstances, so the occupying party's disadvantage in the midterms is hard to predict.

Second, the Repubs have gerrymandered themselves a difficult-to-overcome position in the House; the Senate is more vulnerable, but more Dems are up in '18.

And third, there's a shit-ton of money on his side.

So I am loathe to handicap this upcoming race.  It's going to be interesting to watch... but probably not fun.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on February 09, 2017, 10:07:36 AM
I live in northwest Indiana, and it hasn't escaped my notice that the gay mayor of South Bend, is running for DNC chair. I'm wondering how that will play, if he gets the seat. He's a great guy, and I have a lot of respect for him. Very level headed, and a true consensus-builder. If we have a gay president, in  my lifetime, It will be Pete Buttigieg.

Can't happen until he changes his last name to something more pronounceable and less scatological.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on February 09, 2017, 12:51:03 PM
There are a couple things working against Asshole and his lackeys in Congress.

First is that except under unusual circumstances, midterm elections almost always go against the party occupying the White House.  The main exceptions have been 1998, when Gingrich foolishly made the midterms a referendum on Bill Clinton, and the public sided with Clinton; and in 2002 in the immediate wake of 9/11 and the Afghanistan invasion, siding with Dubya.

Second is that Asshole is both scaring away the fringes of his support (the core is hopeless), and activating the opposition, and comes into office with historic disapproval ratings for an incoming guy.  There's already a plurality (not yet a majority) that supports impeaching him.  Already.
Yeah, but as the last election taught us, it's not enough for the other guy to be unlikable.

We need something to rally behind as much as we need something to rally against.  The Dems really need to stand up for their core principles (like healthcare and education) and strenuously present a better gameplan than the Republicans and not just rely on anti-Trump sentiment to hand them the election.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 09, 2017, 01:05:24 PM
Yeah, but as the last election taught us, it's not enough for the other guy to be unlikable.

We need something to rally behind as much as we need something to rally against.  The Dems really need to stand up for their core principles (like healthcare and education) and strenuously present a better gameplan than the Republicans and not just rely on anti-Trump sentiment to hand them the election.

The 2018 elections (not to mention voting restrictions) are stacked against the Democrats.  And they (Republicans) will last til 2020 when the census figures are used (and abused) by whoever is in power.  That person and party is likely to be Pence and the Republicans as I suspect Trump will just be worn out and unpopular by then.

After that, it will be a decade of gerrymandering and further voter restrictions. 

Baruch

As long as the Democrat strategy is ... colored people and women have no choice ... then they lose.  Not all colored people, not all women, are going to vote for their flavor of shit.  On the other hand, the Republican strategy is ... make sure the Democrats look good ... this all says to me, Kabuki theater.  It was all decided years ago at Langley.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 09:16:11 AM
As long as the Democrat strategy is ... colored people and women have no choice ... then they lose.  Not all colored people, not all women, are going to vote for their flavor of shit.  On the other hand, the Republican strategy is ... make sure the Democrats look good ... this all says to me, Kabuki theater.  It was all decided years ago at Langley.

"Colored people"?  Really?  What decade do you live in?  Never mind, we can tell.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 11, 2017, 09:24:30 AM
"Colored people"?  Really?  What decade do you live in?  Never mind, we can tell.

This OP is about political correctness ... I am never politically correct, it makes my stomach churn.  But you would rather I use the bad words?  Go hide in your dorm, under your bed, you Z generation ;-) (sarc).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 09:26:15 AM
This OP is about political correctness ... I am never politically correct, it makes my stomach churn.  But you would rather I use the bad words?  Go hide in your dorm, under your bed, you Z generation ;-) (sarc).

I'm 66...  ;)