News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

California Secession?

Started by Baruch, February 22, 2017, 07:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 04:40:27 AM
That is a very sensible idea.  And may I add that the District Of Columbia just be remanded into Maryland (like the Virginia part was) and end all that fuss about it's "statehood"
District of Columbia statehood is a stupid conversation unless somebody wants to make an ammendment to the part of the Constitution that says the capitol may not be a part of any state.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on February 26, 2017, 12:59:54 PM
District of Columbia statehood is a stupid conversation unless somebody wants to make an ammendment to the part of the Constitution that says the capitol may not be a part of any state.

Ah and there you err in the local arguments.  DC says the "federal district" can be defined down to almost nothing.

I say let the whole thing be resolved by remanding.  DC as a a State is ludicrous. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Sylar

Quote from: fencerider on February 23, 2017, 01:44:27 AM
There is nothing in the Constitution about a state leaving the U.S., nor is there anything in the Constitution preventing a state from leaving the U.S.. This leaves it up to Congress to create a definition of the procedure. No Constitutional ammendment necessary. (yes I actually read it on a regular basis)

I was under the impression that leaving the U.S. followed the same procedure as a state wanting to join the U.S. - a presentation of arguments to Congress and then a vote by Congress.

An ammendment to the California Constitution??? Who cares? no really, who cares? We have proposals to ammend the California Constitution on every ballot... and just as many pass as those that fail

You're right, there is no Constitutional instrument for State leaving Union, but there is for State joining Union (US Constitution. Art. VI. Sec. 3). An amendment would be necessary to create Constitutional instrument for leaving Union -- a highly unlikely endeavor.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 10:47:05 AM
And I have to say one thing to ALL of you - You have improved my typing!  Not 100% but maybe 50%.
Hey, if you practice enough you may get to Carnegie Hall!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

I think Puerto Rico should have statehood - but what do I know?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 01, 2017, 05:43:24 PM
I think Puerto Rico should have statehood - but what do I know?

Since Puerto Rico is already bankrupt, we could add it to California, with no ill effect ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 01:05:50 PM
Ah and there you err in the local arguments.  DC says the "federal district" can be defined down to almost nothing.

I say let the whole thing be resolved by remanding.  DC as a a State is ludicrous.

Have you been to Rhode Island?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!