PETA demands removal of fictional fur from Warhammer 40k

Started by Hydra009, January 31, 2017, 01:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Hooboy, where to begin.

First, the game in question is a futuristic dystopia on a galactic scale.  Imagine North Koreans with power armor and space fleets.  Now make it 40000% more oppressive and barbaric, with vast armies blowing each other to bits every single day, enormous war industries despoiling once verdant worlds to little more than desolate wastes, and genocidal xenophobia as normal public policy.  This is not a politically-correct setting.  This is not a progressive vision of the future.  It's horrible and it's supposed to be horrible.  That's what dystopias are.  So pointing at something you don't like and asking them to remove it is to fundamentally fail to understand the point of the product.

Second, some of the characters are modeled after medieval lords and vikings.  That's where the fur cloaks come in.  The characters wearing fur is a visual cue that although these characters use futuristic technology, they're primitive and barbaric at heart.  It's symbolic.

Third, the fur in question is entirely fictional.  Literally zero wolves were hurt to make these toys.  There are a lot of screwed-up things in the world and I should hope that policing a fictional universe for stuff that would be wrong if it were done in the real world would be a rather low priority.  Plus, it betrays a worrying lack of ability to separate fiction from reality.

Fourth, there's an accusation from PETA that Games Workshop "sends the message that wearing fur is acceptable".  Very few people who play this game actually wear fur.  Fur has largely fallen out of fashion in the West and seeing a fictional character wear fur isn't bringing it back.  There's just no causal connection here.

And finally, let's just take a moment to reflect on the sort of mentality that looks at something like this...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

...and is upset at the presence of fur.  Not that poor sod getting bifurcated in a meaningless war and the overall theme of man's inhumanity to man, but the fur cloak presumably crafted out of a butchered fictional wolf - that's the true horror here.  Priorities, man.

And to top it all off, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the utter hypocrisy of these people.  This is a group that attacks popular games like Pokemon and Warhammer instead cleaning up their own act.  Neither company kills animals.  Meanwhile, PETA runs animal shelters with enormous kill rates.  By PETA's own logic, they're the bad guys here.

Gawdzilla Sama

PETA is the Westboro Baptist of the faux caring front.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

People today are faux caring/virtue signaling all over the place ;-(  Global warming?  Stop heating your home, stop driving your car ... otherwise enjoy a warmer climate or not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Peta will likely go after Warcraft next.

ooh noooes he's wearing fur, despite the fact the fur he's wearing in the story was the fur of his wolf that died defending him, and he wears it in honor of his fallen friend.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Atheon

PETA are nutcases with no credibility whatsoever. Any complaint made by them should be met with derision.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Quote from: Atheon on January 31, 2017, 10:40:52 AMPETA are nutcases with no credibility whatsoever. Any complaint made by them should be met with derision.
Yeah, it just really irks me and I feel like I needed to vent.

I try to do the right thing and push public policy in the right direction only to be overruled by the crazies.
I try to seek refuge in my hobbies and the crazies want control over that, too.
What's safe from the crazies?

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Yeah, that fake fur is about as bad as it gets.  They should use REAL fur, right?  That would teach them!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

I have reproduction of a "Snoopy" cap as worn by Boeing pilots in the open-cockpit days. It's "fur" lined, of course. One ... lady ... tried to scold me about it.

"Is that real fur!"

"Yeah, seen your cat lately?"
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

I saw this last night. Once again, PETA proves themselves to be completely retarded

AllPurposeAtheist

Cartoon fur is definitely a threat to cartoons everywhere..
Next thing you know people will be eating real catoons!
But even worse! CHARIOTS OF FUR! When will the carnage ever end?
https://youtu.be/J1LV6Fsd2HM
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hijiri Byakuren

"Penn & Teller: BULLSHIT!" did an excellent episode on PETA that I recommend watching.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

widdershins

How the hell is PETA still a thing?  I've never met anyone who didn't think they were nuts.
This sentence is a lie...

Baruch

Beware ... PETA members are the end state evolution of SJW members ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.