News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Montreal Mosque Shooting

Started by Shiranu, January 30, 2017, 12:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Gave a like, but for me, a terrorist has to be part of an organization.  Lone wolves aren't unless you have conspiracy theory input.  One could imagine that Timothy McVeigh was part of a vast Right wing conspiracy ... of just part of one involving a few people as disturbed as he was.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Atheon

To me a terrorist is someone who aims to send a political message by carrying out an atrocity. He didn't go in there because he had a grudge against the six people he killed. His target was the Muslim community in general.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on January 30, 2017, 12:04:27 PM
As far as I have read on the web, the gunmen were Muslims.
Apparently it was some minor theological disagreement, which was solved in the traditional Islamic manner with their preferred tool, the AK 47.

Allahu akbar.

That awkward moment when you are so busy screaming Muslim, that you don't realise the shooter was someone who thinks just like you and shares your own ideology.

Those who point the finger first and yell the loudest...

Quote from: pr126 on January 30, 2017, 10:56:46 AM
Those Trump loving, gun toting, Bible thumping, redneck, white supremacists must be stopped.

Well, 3 out of 5 at least correct. Oops.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on February 01, 2017, 08:52:30 PM
To me a terrorist is someone who aims to send a political message by carrying out an atrocity. He didn't go in there because he had a grudge against the six people he killed. His target was the Muslim community in general.

Definitely a bigot ... and has definitely terrorized snowflakes.  So the US helping ISIS brutally murder people, isn't terrorism?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Most people currently associate terrorism with Muslims because that's the current agenda being pushed on the public at large, but US code (in the US and very likely most other nations ) defines it as such..
QuoteThe U.S. Code of Federal Regulations defines terrorism as "the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives" (28 C.F.R. Section 0.85).
Surprise, no mention of religion there or of political viewpoint,  just the furtherance of political or social objectives which should and could include far right and left ideology among other factors. Right now terrorism is being defined as anything contrary to the current occupants of Washington and skin color and /or religious preferences.
Look, if any of us decided to set off bombs in crowded places for no other reason than we like things that go boom and NOT  to further some political or social agenda we would very likely be labeled as terrorists instead of batshit crazy criminals and there IS a difference, but let's not let the facts get in the way.  Merely killing and scaring the shit out of people doesn't necessarily make you a terrorist.
From everything I've read about the case in Quebec it was a terrorist attack, but I have no idea what was actually going on in the guys head. That will be left up to the powers that be to decide. Had it occurred on US soil I strongly suspect that it would be labeled as a mere batshit crazy criminal act. After all, he didn't go after lilly white christian people.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.