News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Christian Apologetics

Started by SGOS, January 27, 2017, 11:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 03, 2017, 08:08:48 AM
I think the flat-earth/theistic connection comes from something about Satan showing Jesus the "whole earth" from a tall mountain.  Which WOULD require the earth being flat...  But I'm not sure that some flat-earthers use even THAT minuscule bit of logic.

The Earth is flat, but space is curved.  Chicken vs egg ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Joshua Slocum was the first single hander to sail alone around the world, at least the first to write about it.  I think it was the late 1800s, and back then, someone attempting such a journey would be entertained by kings and heads of state, one of which was the president of South Africa, or whatever they called that person back then.

At any rate, the president of South Africa was a flat Earther and spread out maps and argued with Slocum who had already completed 4/5 of the journey with only the well traveled route from the Cape of Good Hope to England ahead of him.  Actually, he started from Boston, but the first leg of his circumnavigation was to England, after which wind and pirates forced him to the tip of South America, so he decided to go about his travels in a westerly direction, rather than easterly, which was kind of odd, because the prevailing winds make an easterly circumnavigation (his original plan) rougher and more difficult.

Baruch

For Magellan, proving the world round was a mostly fatal experiment.  Today there would be people who would have claimed that the men who did come back, weren't the men who went out on the voyage, but performing some bizarre prank ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Guerre
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on June 29, 2017, 08:06:31 PM
I see you have been to Louisiana ;-)
Yeah, lived in New Orleans - twice. Wonderful place, but that was pre-Katrina.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on July 03, 2017, 08:35:07 AM
Joshua Slocum was the first single hander to sail alone around the world, at least the first to write about it.  I think it was the late 1800s, and back then, someone attempting such a journey would be entertained by kings and heads of state, one of which was the president of South Africa, or whatever they called that person back then.

At any rate, the president of South Africa was a flat Earther and spread out maps and argued with Slocum who had already completed 4/5 of the journey with only the well traveled route from the Cape of Good Hope to England ahead of him.  Actually, he started from Boston, but the first leg of his circumnavigation was to England, after which wind and pirates forced him to the tip of South America, so he decided to go about his travels in a westerly direction, rather than easterly, which was kind of odd, because the prevailing winds make an easterly circumnavigation (his original plan) rougher and more difficult.
I read the book by him about his voyage. It was truly remarkable!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman