News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Christian Apologetics

Started by SGOS, January 27, 2017, 11:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorginak

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 27, 2017, 12:12:20 PM
The fact that they have to rely only on arguments is rather telling.

Indeed.

It is as though they are publicly announcing that they have zero faith in the religion to speak for itself.

sdelsolray

Quote from: Ro3bert on April 26, 2017, 06:41:03 PM
Fine you walk by faith, frankly I'll walk by sight.

Poster Heisreal was sent to Purgatory months ago.  You won't get a response from him/her here.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

doorknob

Quote from: Heisreal on January 28, 2017, 12:06:12 PM
No, I don't believe your testimony. We are called by faith not by sight.

John 20:29
"Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."

2Cor. 5:7
(For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
Faith is just a word the gullible use to justify belief in something that isn't logical to believe. There is no virtue in faith. In fact faith is offensive to intelligence.

Free your self from your christian chains of stupidity. Open your eyes to the truth and stop justifying a "belief " because it is just that a belief. You can really really believe it but that alone will never make it true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doorknob

Quote from: sdelsolray on April 26, 2017, 10:51:25 PM
Poster Heisreal was sent to Purgatory months ago.  You won't get a response from him/her here.
Oops.

Unbeliever

Nevertheless, other people (those who merely lurk) may read these posts and get something good from them, whether the OP is still around or not. So post away, y'all!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: doorknob on May 16, 2017, 02:45:47 PM
Faith is just a word the gullible use to justify belief in something that isn't logical to believe. There is no virtue in faith. In fact faith is offensive to intelligence.

Free your self from your christian chains of stupidity. Open your eyes to the truth and stop justifying a "belief " because it is just that a belief. You can really really believe it but that alone will never make it true.

Unfortunately, whenever I hear someone claim that "they" are intelligent, I know I am dealing with an idiot savant.  Free yourself from Greek secular idiocy.  "idiotes" is Greek for individualist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I'm sorry, I just read the religious texts of all religions and just smile and cringe at the same time.  There is just no sense in any of them.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 18, 2017, 03:18:39 AM
I'm sorry, I just read the religious texts of all religions and just smile and cringe at the same time.  There is just no sense in any of them.

Ah, but there is fiction that you do like, or at least in video form.  So you are human, not a bear.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Drich0150

Quote from: SGOS on January 27, 2017, 11:59:05 AM
Formal definitions of Christian aplogetics, ie, "a field of Christian theology that presents historical, reasoned, and evidential bases for Christianity, defending it against objections" (Wikipedia), are too polite to say so, but they usually take care to avoid including "the use of logic" in describing the methodology.  There is good reason for this, because Christian apologies that claim to be logical always fail in the end, making them illogical by definition.

The more renowned of the apologists attempt to claim logic in their written commentary and in their televised oral debates by attempting to mask their fallacies by equivocation, moving of goalposts, and complicated roundabouts, but they all fail logically.  The oral debates I believe are the most effective, because they happen in real time with a fast delivery, are complicated and wordy, and lend themselves to the masking of fallacies, while the written works lend themselves to more critical study and dissection.

The usual lightweights that show up in this forum never demonstrate the cunning of the established leaders in the field.  They don't seem to even understand apologetics, if in fact, they are even familiar with the term.  Nor do they seem to have any understanding of the most common objections to the doctrine they are defending.  They stop off on a mission of enlightenment, shoot off some long debunked trope, and meet with a wall of well deserved skepticism.  Our current example, Godmessenger, identifies himself with a nickname resembling Christ himself, but doesn't seem to have a clue about what he is doing.

We can compare the lightweights to the experts, but both sources have an uncanny resemblance to snake oil salesmen.
meh...

i have found those who spend a lot of time criticizing others... are typically just projecting their own ineptitude on to those other people.. so as not to be called on it later, Kinda like a bill maher or John Stewart. Some of their best work is truthfully describing how they would fail in a real world situation and then tagging someone else with their own projected failures.

Seriously do you have ANY idea how hard it is on this side of the forum? where you are one voice against many, where you are engauged in sometimes 20 different arguments and are expected to maintain an ultra high standard of dialog and or material? What would you do in a room of 20 or 30 heavy hitters (besides S-yourself and leave after they start making sport of you) who all oppose your opinions or your tightly held views?

Would you do as well as you have given credit to those who do this very same thing here?
1Thess 5:21 Question all things and hold on to what is Good. This is a charge meant for those who think themselves Christian. We are to question the foundational as well as the questionable, and hold on to the truth. Because I've done this my answers may be... Different than the typical Christian

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drich0150 on June 22, 2017, 04:07:07 PM
meh...

i have found those who spend a lot of time criticizing others... are typically just projecting their own ineptitude on to those other people.. so as not to be called on it later, Kinda like a bill maher or John Stewart. Some of their best work is truthfully describing how they would fail in a real world situation and then tagging someone else with their own projected failures.

Seriously do you have ANY idea how hard it is on this side of the forum? where you are one voice against many, where you are engauged in sometimes 20 different arguments and are expected to maintain an ultra high standard of dialog and or material? What would you do in a room of 20 or 30 heavy hitters (besides S-yourself and leave after they start making sport of you) who all oppose your opinions or your tightly held views?

Would you do as well as you have given credit to those who do this very same thing here?
Poor baby.  Won't your jebus help you--loan you his hooie spit or something?  Why not just take your little toys big boy and go home.  I don't remember anybody here begging you to spread your brand of shit on this board.  So, just stay away.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Drich0150 on June 22, 2017, 04:07:07 PMSeriously do you have ANY idea how hard it is on this side of the forum? where you are one voice against many, where you are engauged in sometimes 20 different arguments and are expected to maintain an ultra high standard of dialog and or material? What would you do in a room of 20 or 30 heavy hitters (besides S-yourself and leave after they start making sport of you) who all oppose your opinions or your tightly held views?

Trust me. Our expectations of you are not that high.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

aitm

Quote from: Heisreal on January 27, 2017, 08:46:47 PM

We will all answer for what we have done and not done in this life on earth.

This is blasphemy! I believe you are a false prophet and therefore by the law of the Babble I am allowed to kill you with gods full permission.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on June 22, 2017, 06:17:34 PM
This is blasphemy! I believe you are a false prophet and therefore by the law of the Babble I am allowed to kill you with gods full permission.

To kill an audience (or an individual) it has to be such a good joke, it is LOTFL.  It takes a heretic to know G-d.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I am constantly amazed when newbie religious fanatics complain their superstitious views are not being given equal weight to rational scientific thinking as if this was a site dedicated to religious fanatics. 

I'm not here to argue with every fruitcake who spends a few days quoting the bible or any other religious text or unsupported belief at me.  I'm here to discuss events and thoughts with my fellow rational humans.  And the religious people aren't them.

I don't go intruding myself with logical arguments into religious sites and I don't need the opposite here. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!