Wealthy Preparing to Survive Doomsday

Started by Unbeliever, January 26, 2017, 05:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Survival of the Richest
QuoteJournalist Evan Osnos talks about the Silicon Valley survivalists who are stockpiling food and weapons and investing in luxury underground bunkers. "They feel a sense of fragility in our politics," he says. Osnos has also been writing about Trump.

Why Some Silicon Valley Tech Executives Are Bunkering Down For Doomsday
QuoteWidespread fears about the future â€" including concerns about politics, the economy, the environment and all-out nuclear war â€" have led some people to prepare for ways to defend themselves. The "survivalists" include some Silicon Valley executives, who worry about the tech future they have helped to create.

Survival Condo
QuoteOur objective when first approaching this project was to leave no stone unturned, and to ensure that every detail, from safety, feature and function, to style, comfort and luxury...every aspect of this endeavor had to be just right. The fact is, you can find other solutions for "survival living". Though none of the options today offer the peace of mind that comes with our state-of-the-art technologies, combined with the comfort and luxury that is offered through our Survival Condo ownership opportunity. Nothing even comes close.

Just in time - I guess they'll live out the bad times that are coming, in the luxury to which they're accustomed - too bad, I guess, about the rest of us poor suckers...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

That is because the new Civil War will start in California, not South Carolina.  Hopefully war with the snowflakes can be avoided.  I doubt that anyone's Swiss bank account is in danger.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Once the world's civilized order breaks down there won't be any more Swiss banks - just holes in the ground. I don't care how nice those holes are, they won't last long.

Who will Chump go to war with first, China or Mexico?
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 26, 2017, 06:11:50 PM
Once the world's civilized order breaks down there won't be any more Swiss banks - just holes in the ground. I don't care how nice those holes are, they won't last long.

Who will Chump go to war with first, China or Mexico?

Mexico ... if at all.  I think some people want the US to go to war with someone, anyone ... since we have been at war with the Middle East since 1991, and it has worked out so well so far ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Well, I suspect that the wars we're in at the moment don't provide enough profit for the weapon makers - all we've been using lately are relatively small weapons. A bigger war (or 2) will enable them to make and sell much bigger, more expensive weapons. Hence, war against whichever country (or group) Chump can provoke into doing something that will give him a sufficient excuse to bomb the shit out of whomever it's decided our enemy du jour is going to be.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 28, 2017, 06:02:16 PM
Well, I suspect that the wars we're in at the moment don't provide enough profit for the weapon makers - all we've been using lately are relatively small weapons. A bigger war (or 2) will enable them to make and sell much bigger, more expensive weapons. Hence, war against whichever country (or group) Chump can provoke into doing something that will give him a sufficient excuse to bomb the shit out of whomever it's decided our enemy du jour is going to be.

Why do you think Trump will start it?  California is now saying in 2019 (will anyone be alive by then?) they will have a special ballot issue to secede.  Also in the near term, they are threatening to stop Federal tax payment.  There is a counter movement, to remove Governor Moon Beam from office immediately.  So not Mexico .. it will be California, that is ground zero ... the Democrats have taken over California, like they did South Carolina in 1861.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on January 28, 2017, 08:28:50 PM
Why do you think Trump will start it?

In the name of his God - the almighty dollar.

QuoteCalifornia is now saying in 2019 (will anyone be alive by then?) they will have a special ballot issue to secede.  Also in the near term, they are threatening to stop Federal tax payment.  There is a counter movement, to remove Governor Moon Beam from office immediately.  So not Mexico .. it will be California, that is ground zero ... the Democrats have taken over California, like they did South Carolina in 1861.

Oh, hell, that's just silly. I think you're trying to pull my leg. I recall talk some years ago about N. Carolina (I think it was) wanting to secede, and that didn't happen either.
God Not Found

Baruch

We can hope that the Californians will be too blue balled and strung out to resist ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on January 29, 2017, 07:31:54 PM
Lack of humor is futile ... the real Borge ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtDX1Vl-Jxk

Wow!  That brought back memories.  It was a wonderful treat whenever that guy would show up on someone's TV show.  And I actually remember that particular performance.  Well, I remember the part about "stabbing herself between the two big T....rees.  Comedians seemed funnier back then, and maybe they were.  I still laughed at Borge's antics.

Cavebear

Well, sure, if you have tons of money, why NOT spend some on survivalist plans.  A $50,000 shelter isn't costly if you have $500,000.  A long odds plan is only bad when you can't afford it. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 31, 2017, 04:27:10 AM
Well, sure, if you have tons of money, why NOT spend some on survivalist plans.  A $50,000 shelter isn't costly if you have $500,000.  A long odds plan is only bad when you can't afford it.

in the long run, we are all dead.  All snowflakes melt when the sun finally comes out.  One can be eaten up by anxiety ... or deal with it.  Of course young adults have little experience dealing with political scandal and assassination and chaos in the streets.  Been there 1963 - 1980.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Baruch on January 31, 2017, 06:52:06 AM
in the long run, we are all dead.  All snowflakes melt when the sun finally comes out.  One can be eaten up by anxiety ... or deal with it.  Of course young adults have little experience dealing with political scandal and assassination and chaos in the streets.  Been there 1963 - 1980.

What makes you think investing $3 million in a doomsday bunker doesn't help these people deal with their anxiety?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 31, 2017, 06:52:06 AM

Oh of COURSE we all die.  Is that supposed to be profound?  There are rhythms to life.

But the question was about rich people using their money for purposes.  They don't CARE if some slight chance of surviving a bad day costs $50,000.  Its chump change to them.   

You are making the mistake of evaluating what rich people spend money on vs what YOU can spend money on.  For an insanely rich person, a .5% chance of a shelter helping them survive is minor expense.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!