The Left is No Longer Liberal.

Started by pr126, January 25, 2017, 11:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on February 06, 2017, 07:20:39 PM
Math works ... a sweeping generalization ... so must be false ;-)
You didn't miss my point, you (again) mischaracterized it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

fencerider

Quote from: SGOS on February 06, 2017, 09:29:00 AM
I've been wondering for years what "liberal" and "conservative means."
POLITICAL SCIENCE 101

revolutionary fights for change
liberal wants change
moderate dont give a ...
conservative want to keep things the same
reactionary fights to take things back the way they were

course this isnt political science class this is real life. so if you ask me what is a liberal or a conservative I gotta say, "I dunno!!"

Or maybe a republican is a confessed wall st ass-kisser that done got religion and a democrat is someone is a closet wall st ass-kisser that cuts and pastes their religion in a random fashion.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Gilgamesh on January 26, 2017, 01:17:44 AM
I've taken to calling them the 'alt-left.' I won't call them liberal, because they're not. I'm liberal.
I'm going to adopt that term.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 06, 2017, 08:03:08 PM
You didn't miss my point, you (again) mischaracterized it.

Oh, I got your point 18 months ago, Calvin ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Screw you all. I'm a card carrying, tree hugging, bleeding heart liberal and proud of it. Being socially liberal yet fiscally conservative is just code for being a fucking nitwit and wanting to have it both ways.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 07, 2017, 10:21:55 AM
Screw you all. I'm a card carrying, tree hugging, bleeding heart liberal and proud of it. Being socially liberal yet fiscally conservative is just code for being a fucking nitwit and wanting to have it both ways.

So, planning on moving to Paris 1792 and setting up a liberal guillotine?  Now there was consistency.  The French Revolution ended in financial tears too, because the liberal experiment in paper money failed.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2017, 06:51:52 PM
So, planning on moving to Paris 1792 and setting up a liberal guillotine?  Now there was consistency.  The French Revolution ended in financial tears too, because the liberal experiment in paper money failed.

Sometimes wish I could buy a pocket version of you and take to parties, or quiz shows
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on February 06, 2017, 09:29:00 AMDoes liberal mean, a social justice warrior or just a raving lunatic, or does it mean someone who believes in fair treatment of minorities?  Is it a tree hugger who advocates conservation of resources and less exploitation?  Does he drive a hybrid?  Does he believe in God?  Or is he just anyone that advocates something that someone else doesn't like?  Good Grief, Baruch seems to think liberal means Communist, something I pickup from him continually.  Really?  A fucking Communist?  OK, I know he doesn't really mean that because most of the time not even Baruch knows what he means, because half the time he's more interested in yanking chains and stirring pots.

If someone identifies themselves as a Democrat, everyone assumes he is a liberal, even though the Democratic Party is far to the right of liberal values of the 1960s when peace and equality were being promoted by long haired lunatics that kind of looked and acted like Jesus.
Exactly.  I consider myself pretty solidly liberal and some people get visions of some communist agitator or some triggered snowflake.  The reality is that solidly liberal is actually pretty middle-of-the-road.  Hell, in some countries, I'd be what they call a conservative.

Guns - I don't want to outlaw gun ownership (I'm not comin' fer yer gunz), but I think this stuff should be strictly regulated to keep crazies or homicidal people from causing mayhem.  In theory, I'm not any different from conservatives who state the same after every mass shooting.

Abortion - uphold Roe V Wade

Healthcare - let's not let the uninsured die in droves.  Let's allow single payer like practically everyone else.

Environmentalism - let's do business without ruining our ecosystems (and killing ourselves) in the process.  Let's ease back on oil and go energy independent.

This isn't super radical stuff.

Jason78

When were the left ever liberal?  I always thought the liberal ones were the centre moderates.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on February 07, 2017, 09:06:36 PM
Sometimes wish I could buy a pocket version of you and take to parties, or quiz shows

I will put it into a little red book, use Google Translate to put it into Chinese, and you can start your own cultural revolution.  There was a video quiz game, called You Don't Know Jack ... and I was the only person there (Halloween Party ... I was dressed as the Big Bad Wolf (in grandma's nighty) who knew that the currency unit of Albania was the Lek ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 08, 2017, 10:22:24 AM
Babylonian.

Well 18 does partially divide into 12 and 60, the basis of Babylonian mathematics.  Can you offer yourself up to the Temple prostitutes of Ishtar on Babylonian New Years?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on February 08, 2017, 06:30:12 PM
Well 18 does partially divide into 12 and 60, the basis of Babylonian mathematics.  Can you offer yourself up to the Temple prostitutes of Ishtar on Babylonian New Years?
I was in the Navy for 20 years, prostitutes were the Dept. of Recreation.
PZ Myers