Trump threatens to "send in the Feds" to fix Chicago homicide rate

Started by Hydra009, January 25, 2017, 09:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 26, 2017, 01:27:12 PM
I'm all for the twelve mile limit. 

Then Los Angeles will be the world's 7th largest economy.  Well, Orange County, anyway.

Unbeliever

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on January 26, 2017, 09:48:43 AM
Trump's solution will be bigly stupendously YUGE! Just randomly grab people off the streets and torture them till they tell us who's behind all of it. Torture enoughly people and someone will spill the beans.
Yeah, and he can torture and kill their families too! That'll learn the fuckers!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 26, 2017, 03:22:30 PM
Yeah, and he can torture and kill their families too! That'll learn the fuckers!

All part of the "start a race war" narrative of the Southern Republicans (whose daddy was a Southern Democrat).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 26, 2017, 01:27:12 PM
I'm all for the twelve mile limit.

But do we have to speak Greek, and divide into pro-Sparta vs pro-Athens?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

The twelve-mile limit was the (then) range of coastal artillery, and hence the effective range of control of the sea by a nation.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 27, 2017, 06:57:21 AM
The twelve-mile limit was the (then) range of coastal artillery, and hence the effective range of control of the sea by a nation.

Oh, I didn't think you were just talking about coastal stuff, what about Fly Over Country?  I thought you were talking about how far it is convenient for a girly Athenian warrior to march in one day ;-)  This is Sparta!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2017, 07:33:10 AM
Oh, I didn't think you were just talking about coastal stuff, what about Fly Over Country?  I thought you were talking about how far it is convenient for a girly Athenian warrior to march in one day ;-)  This is Sparta!
My point is that this was a far as "national" sovereignty extended. So why not extend that down to the local level? "States' Rights!" people want states to have all the power, what about counties? Or townships? How about making each city block an independent nation?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 27, 2017, 11:44:45 AM
My point is that this was a far as "national" sovereignty extended. So why not extend that down to the local level? "States' Rights!" people want states to have all the power, what about counties? Or townships? How about making each city block an independent nation?
You're thinking about that far too logically.  What they're really talking about is for state policy to override federal policy when the state policy is more conservative position than the federal policy.  It's not about states rights or limiting federal power, it's about enacting conservative policies by any means.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 27, 2017, 11:44:45 AM

We have a Federal system.  We aren't supposed to have tyranny at any level, dialectic and negotiation.  Or are you saying we need an Emperor (like Japan), who appoints local representatives from the royal court to take care of Emperor business at the local level?

Yes, some people would like anarchism .. and the individual level though, not at the city state level.  The Spartans are dead ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 27, 2017, 12:22:13 PM
You're thinking about that far too logically.  What they're really talking about is for state policy to override federal policy when the state policy is more conservative position than the federal policy.  It's not about states rights or limiting federal power, it's about enacting conservative policies by any means.
Yeah, I am a historian.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2017, 01:04:18 PM
We have a Federal system.  We aren't supposed to have tyranny at any level, dialectic and negotiation.  Or are you saying we need an Emperor (like Japan), who appoints local representatives from the royal court to take care of Emperor business at the local level?

Yes, some people would like anarchism .. and the individual level though, not at the city state level.  The Spartans are dead ;-(
The Greeks had city states. The Hard Right wants shitty states.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

What's the current status of posse comitatus and habeus corpus? I hope Chump isn't maniac enough to use the American military in Chicago, against American citizens!

But then, I'm a cynical pessimist, so I expect the worst...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 27, 2017, 05:22:52 PM
What's the current status of posse comitatus and habeus corpus? I hope Chump isn't maniac enough to use the American military in Chicago, against American citizens!

But then, I'm a cynical pessimist, so I expect the worst...

Both were killed first by Bill Clinton, then by George W.  Barak has simply followed through to the logical conclusion ... the President is G-d.  Even more than Nixon claimed.  We used the National Guard in Watts, in 1965.  Not saying we will see that again (last time was in 1992 again in LA).  Are you offended?  And yes, under local military law, you have no snowflake rights.  You observe curfew and avoid crowds.  If you loot, you might get shot.  The reaction to the Baltimore riot last year was mild by the authorities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P43WZd611WA
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Poison Tree

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on January 26, 2017, 09:48:43 AM
Trump's solution will be bigly stupendously YUGE! Just randomly grab people off the streets and torture them till they tell us who's behind all of it. Torture enoughly people and someone will spill the beans.
wouldn't be the first time
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Baruch

Yes, in-terror-gation is a bitch.  We used to toss VietCong out the hatch of our helicopters, to convince them to talk to us.  America doesn't play nice.  Best not to fall into the hands of the Fuzz.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.