Trump threatens to "send in the Feds" to fix Chicago homicide rate

Started by Hydra009, January 25, 2017, 09:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

QuotePresident Trump took to Twitter on Tuesday night to re-up the idea of sending federal law enforcement to Chicago if the city’s homicide rate doesn’t come down.

“If Chicago doesn't fix the horrible ‘carnage’ going on,” Trump wrote, “I will send in the Feds!”

He said in his tweet that 228 shootings and 42 homicides have been recorded in Chicago since the start of the year â€" figures higher than the comparable period during 2016, which was a particularly bloody year for the city.
QuoteTrump has raised the prospect of Washington intervention in Chicago before. His latest musings on the subject came just a day after Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) criticized the Republican president for focusing so much on the size of the crowd at his inaugural ceremony and failing in his speech to appeal to “our better angels as a country.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/24/trump-threatens-to-send-in-the-feds-to-address-chicago-carnage/

Just a day after getting criticized by Chicago's mayor, Trump casts aspersions on Chicago, indirectly criticizing Chicago's mayor and shifting attention away from his own failings.  What a strange coincidence.

Apparently, the tweet coincided with a Fox News segment on Chicago with Trump using identical language as one of their hosts (which explains the scarequotes around "carnage").  Another odd coincidence that actually explains a lot about Trump.

To be fair, there is a big problem here - Chicago does have a high homicide rate even though the per capita homicide rate is less than some other cities.

And of course, the problem has a lot to do with guns, and we all know Trump has no real interest in tackling that problem, so color me skeptical about his intentions on solving this problem.

Baruch

Directed against Obama associate, Rahm ... and maybe his kooky Dr brother.  Also against the Mossad infiltration of America.  If this does happen, it is no different than Jack Kennedy sending in the Feds to the South when things got out of hand with local officials down there.  I would do this with the sanctuary cities, and make California admit to bankruptcy ... put it under US Treasury Dept receivership.  This should have happened in Detroit, decades before it finally did.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Trump wants Chicago to institute a policy of stop and frisk by the police similar to the one used in New York. The one that was ruled unconstitutional 3 or 4 years ago. While the effectiveness of such a policy at reducing violent crime can be argued, the legality of targeting racial minority men almost exclusively is indefensible in light of the 4th and 14th amendments. 
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Atheon

Whether this is motivated by racism (it was, after all, inspired by a report by Bill O'Reilly), or genuine concern about gang violence, this is going to be perceived as an attack on the black community. Either way, nothing good is gong to come out of this, except perhaps growing opposition to Trump.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Chicago has a lot of murder and crime in general.  It would be nice to clean that up, but I'm not sure if the Feds can do it better than the police.  I went to high school in the suburb of Cicero, home to Al Capone.  I never felt really safe there, although I survived.  I was mugged once and another time took a beating from a gang that would cruise around and randomly beat up people as part of their Friday night recreation. I feel safer in the woods a half mile from my nearest neighbors, not to say some asshole could never bother me here, but I don't feel I need to worry about it.  I actually feel like we don't even need any police where I live.  In Chicago, I'd want a cop within shouting distance all the time.  Last time I rode the subway, there were signs in the cars that read, "If you feel like you are in danger, move to another car."  At one stop, a cop got on with a muzzled attack dog, rode the subway for two stops and got off.  I suppose it was a trouble spot.  I saw a woman have her purse snatched on the subway one time.

There is a lot of culture in Chicago, with great museums of science, natural history, art, and interesting cultural events that reside in the midst  of assault and crime.  But then I lived in San Pedro, California for 6 months, and that seemed even less safe.  You had all of Chicago's crime, without the culture.

But I have no idea how you clean those places up.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on January 26, 2017, 08:44:26 AM
But I have no idea how you clean those places up.

Long term you provide education and good jobs in areas like Fuller, Washington and Garfield Park, Englewood and Grand Crossing. Or you could drop a few small nukes, cover what’s left with concrete, and start all over again. My guess is the later would be the preferred solution for the current regime.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

AllPurposeAtheist

Trump's solution will be bigly stupendously YUGE! Just randomly grab people off the streets and torture them till they tell us who's behind all of it. Torture enoughly people and someone will spill the beans.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 26, 2017, 09:27:56 AM
Long term you provide education and good jobs in areas like Fuller, Washington and Garfield Park, Englewood and Grand Crossing. Or you could drop a few small nukes, cover what’s left with concrete, and start all over again. My guess is the later would be the preferred solution for the current regime.
Oh c'mon Pappy, you know that education and jobs are a hoax to make people think that they are smart and can pay the bills. The Donald tells us so and everyone knows he's never been known to be wrong about anything.

Gawdzilla Sama

At least he's not interfering with the States' affairs. Damn Big Government needs to have its swamp drained.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Yup, bring in the feds to kill anyone who even looks like they might have the ability to murder someone especially kids..Everyone knows kids all grow up to become murderers and we know this because they all grow up to eventually die anyway.. or something like that..

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 26, 2017, 09:53:26 AM
At least he's not interfering with the States' affairs. Damn Big Government needs to have its swamp drained.

Yeah, Republicans seem to have no problem with federal power when they're the ones exercising it (and more often than not, wielding it like a cudgel)

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on January 26, 2017, 07:38:41 AM
Whether this is motivated by racism (it was, after all, inspired by a report by Bill O'Reilly), or genuine concern about gang violence, this is going to be perceived as an attack on the black community. Either way, nothing good is gong to come out of this, except perhaps growing opposition to Trump.

Young women take their freedom for granted.  African-Americans who are middle class take their freedom for granted.  Both groups are losing, because you have to defend, every single day.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 26, 2017, 09:53:26 AM

Yes, break up California .. into one city state per county.  Divide and conquer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on January 26, 2017, 12:55:55 PM
Yes, break up California .. into one city state per county.  Divide and conquer.
I'm all for the twelve mile limit.
PZ Myers