Trump Pledges to Sign Anti-LGBT "First Amendment Defense Act"

Started by Shiranu, January 24, 2017, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2016/09/donald-trump-pledges-sign-anti-lgbtq-first-amendment-defense-act/

QuoteDonald Trump has been courting the LGBTQ vote throughout this presidential election, claiming he would be the better choice for the community than opponent Hillary Clinton and promising to protect us from terrorism in his Republican National Convention speech.

That argument gets harder to believe by the week, as he gives speeches at anti-LGBTQ events, sticks up for homophobic and transphobic legislation and surrounds himself with bigoted politicians and advisers. Now we have a new offense to add to the list.

Trump has pledged to sign the First Amendment Defense Act (FADA), if passed by congress. It was first introduced in the House on June 17, 2015 and would effectively legalize anti-LGBTQ discrimination across the board, including among employers, businesses, landlords and healthcare providers, as long as they claim to be motivated by a firmly held religious beliefs.

It would act to overturn the executive order signed in 2014 by President Obama prohibiting anti-LGBTQ discrimination among federal contractors.

The statement, added to Trump’s website on Thursday under the title “Issues Of Importance To Catholics” and the subtitle “Religious Liberty,” reads:

Religious liberty is enshrined in the First Amendment to the Constitution. It is our first liberty and provides the most important protection in that it protects our right of conscience. Activist judges and executive orders issued by Presidents who have no regard for the Constitution have put these protections in jeopardy. If I am elected president and Congress passes the First Amendment Defense Act, I will sign it to protect the deeply held religious beliefs of Catholics and the beliefs of Americans of all faiths. The Little Sisters of the Poor, or any religious order for that matter, will always have their religious liberty protected on my watch and will not have to face bullying from the government because of their religious beliefs.

FADA’s text reads:

Prohibits the federal government from taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that: (1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or (2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.

Defines “discriminatory action” as any federal government action to discriminate against a person with such beliefs or convictions, including a federal government action to:

-alter the federal tax treatment of, cause any tax, penalty, or payment to be assessed against, or deny, delay, or revoke certain tax exemptions of any such person;

-disallow a deduction of any charitable contribution made to or by such person; withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or otherwise deny any federal grant, contract, subcontract, cooperative agreement, loan, license, certification, accreditation, employment, or similar position or status from or to such person; or

-withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or otherwise deny any benefit under a federal benefit program.

Requires the federal government to consider to be accredited, licensed, or certified for purposes of federal law any person who would be accredited, licensed, or certified for such purposes but for a determination that the person believes or acts in accordance with such a religious belief or moral conviction.

Permits a person to assert an actual or threatened violation of this Act as a claim or defense in a judicial or administrative proceeding and to obtain compensatory damages or other appropriate relief against the federal government.

Authorizes the Attorney General to bring an action to enforce this Act against the Government Accountability Office or an establishment in the executive branch, other than the U.S. Postal Service or the Postal Regulatory Commission, that is not an executive department, military department, or government corporation.

Defines “person” as any person regardless of religious affiliation, including corporations and other entities regardless of for-profit or nonprofit status.

Promoting discrimination and legally protecting it when it is towards 3.8% of the American population because the Bible says it is icky...
Is it too early to judge Trump yet?

(Alternatively; Also, please tell me more about how protests, "SJW" and Muslims are threatening you more than this and are the most imminent threat to the American way of life. We literally have a president promising to sign Theocratic laws, and somehow Muslims are the threat, or people who are pissed off at him?)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Not Sharia, that imposes one uniform religion.  If everyone declares themselves their own religion (the religion of one's ego), you can avoid obeying any laws.  I say bring it on ... I would like full on anarchism anyway ;-)  As a demi-god myself, I have no need to recognize anyone else's religion either.  As a beneficent deity, I have no need for your obedience or cash donations ;-))

But if the official religions or Dominionists (who are as heretical as I am) want to impose their will, then war it is ... I never liked America anyway.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on January 24, 2017, 11:21:30 PM(Alternatively; Also, please tell me more about how protests, "SJW" and Muslims are threatening you more than this and are the most imminent threat to the American way of life. We literally have a president promising to sign Theocratic laws, and somehow Muslims are the threat, or people who are pissed off at him?)
Stop trying to make these two things an either/or proposition. Trump is in power because of SJW fucktards and Muslim extremists. This is what happens when you poke the bear and ignore the growling. He would never have gotten this far if outrage politics hadn't set the bar low enough for him to cross.

The Republican party has been gutted, its politicians replaced with their former corporate overlords. They no longer need the cloak and dagger shit, after all, so what else would you expect? Meanwhile the Democrats are dead. DEAD DEAD DEAD, and you had better hope that Bernie's little gambit to take it over succeeds lest you find yourself getting fucked from both sides.

The real battle -the only battle- is the one about class. All that other shit is just there to divide the lower class: the rich quite honestly couldn't give less of a shit if you're black or white or gay or attack helicopter. They just don't want resistance. So if you're a fan of getting plowed in the ass by Donald's orange dick, then by all means continue your little SJW battle. As for me, I give up. I'm done trying to talk sense into the extremists on both sides. You clearly don't want to hear it, and I've apparently got four years of this supposed "white privilege" to ride out the storm, so I'm just gonna hunker down and hibernate. Have fun with your little movement.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

It was still possible in 1860 to resolve things peacefully ... and Lincoln would have liked that ... but both sides were assholes.  Fortunately the side with slightly higher morality won.  The British should have taken advantage, marched into both sides and took over all of N America.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Post deleted. Not going to let you turn an article about the LGBT+ community being legally discriminated against into your own little "pat yourself on the back because you are so superiour to every other pleb" party.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hijiri Byakuren

QuoteAlso, given your history of posts about women's issues... to act like you are not an extremist of your own and everyone else is extremely loses it's barb. Spare me the high-and-mighty like you don't have skin in the game.
I'm not even going to bother responding to the rest, this proves my point right here. My history of posts about women's issues? You mean like... consistently affirming that the issues are real while also downplaying the oft-exaggerated figures so that people will actually take said issues seriously? If you've read a single thing I've ever said about women's issues, and your takeaway is that I'm an anti-woman extremist, you are in serious need of a reality check.

You're so intent on slaying the dragon that you've burned everyone that might help you do it. You're right, people like me didn't vote for Trump. We didn't vote for Hillary either. Because we're fucking done with you people.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on January 25, 2017, 12:06:53 AM
Post deleted. Not going to let you turn an article about the LGBT+ community being legally discriminated against into your own little "pat yourself on the back because you are so superiour to every other pleb" party.
Too bad, I already quoted and responded. Stay out of the kitchen if the heat bothers you so much.

Shiranu

Quote...and your takeaway is that I'm an anti-woman extremist, you are in serious need of a reality check.

It's not, but if you weren't so emotional about the subject you might have known that.

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on January 25, 2017, 12:25:49 AM
Too bad, I already quoted and responded. Stay out of the kitchen if the heat bothers you so much.

If your ego is that important, and you want to insist you are right when no one is even arguing about what you are bringing up, in a thread about the LGBT+ community being discriminated against... then I cede. You are right. You win. Congrats.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on January 25, 2017, 12:31:51 AM
If your ego is that important, and you want to insist you are right when no one is even arguing about what you are bringing up, in a thread about the LGBT+ community being discriminated against... then I cede. You are right. You win. Congrats.
Shir, I have been heavily inebriated every night since Trump took office. Arguing is what we drunk people do best, especially when we're frustrated. :P

Shiranu

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on January 25, 2017, 12:33:43 AM
Shir, I have been heavily inebriated every night since Trump took office. Arguing is what we drunk people do best, especially when we're frustrated. :P

See, I can respect that then having been there more than once.

Hydra009

The article is four months old and I haven't yet heard of Trump making any moves on this front since he took office.  But I hope we can share any new developments if and when they happen rather than argue about the much less relevant SJW issue.  This bill is bad news and if it passes or even looks like it's going to pass, we should definitely get the word out.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 25, 2017, 12:38:18 AM
The article is four months old and I haven't yet heard of Trump making any moves on this front since he took office.  But I hope we can share any new developments if and when they happen rather than argue about the much less relevant SJW issue.  This bill is bad news and if it passes or even looks like it's going to pass, we should definitely get the word out.

That bill is a declaration of war ... and anarchy.  Commented irreverently about it on another string ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Btw Hij, if it wasn't your posts on women I was thinking of but someone elses, my bad. As I've said before, I really try not to pay attention to who is posting to avoid bias.

_Xenu_

I just love this guy more every day.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman