Women's March Largest in U.S History

Started by Shiranu, January 22, 2017, 04:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/01/21/womens-march-biggest-protest-history-estimated-2-4-million-march.html

QuoteWomen’s March Is The Biggest Protest In US History As An Estimated 2.9 Million March

Millions of Americans have taken to the streets from New York to Los Angeles and everywhere in between as the Women's Marches on Washington is estimated to be the biggest one-day protest in US history.

Millions of Americans have taken to the streets from New York to Los Angeles and everywhere in between as the Women’s Marches on Washington is estimated to be the biggest one-day protest in US history.
UConn professor Jeremy Pressman is keeping a running total of crowd estimates across the United States in a Google document.
An estimated 60,000 people marched in Atlanta. 250,000 are marching in Chicago. There are estimates of 250,000 people in Boston, and 200,000 more in Denver. In New York, the estimate ranges from 200,000-500,000. City officials estimate that 500,000 people participated in the main march in Washington, DC. In Los Angeles, the estimate is anywhere from 200,000-750,000.
There were also protests of 60,000 in Oakland, CA, 50,000 in Philadelphia, 100,000 in Madison, WI, 20,000 in Pittsburgh, 20,000 in Nashville, TN, and 60,000 in St. Paul, MN.
In the history of the United States, there has never been a one-day protest that was this large.
1982’s anti-nuclear march in New York City drew an estimated crowd of 1 million. The 1963 Civil Rights March on Washington drew 250,000. 1969 anti-Vietnam war march in Washington was attended by an estimated 500,000-600,000. 1995’s Million Man March was attended by 400,000-1.1 million. In 1993, the LGBT March for equal rights had a crowd of 800,00-1 million.
There has never been anything in US history like the Women’s March. It is nationwide, and proof that the American people are not going accept the agenda of the Trump administration without a serious fight.
For a nation sick of this "SJW/liberal bullshit", it oddly seems that more of the nation (from the polls to the marches) actively support those causes than support the xenophobic and sexist bullshit of the administration and in states that lack adequate education and socio-economic standards.

It's a shame the nation seems so split into half about being decent human beings and being bigots amongst those who participate, and that there is about half of the country that cant be assed one way or another because the bigots convinced them that their vote and voice doesn't matter.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

I got semi-baited by a conservative last night about this asking "why are these women marching. What is this women's march about? anyone care to explain?"

And I told him how it was a march in celebration of women, but also a protest of the incoming legislative attacks on their rights.

.... and then.... he started to argue. when I mentioned how they seek to overturn Roe v Wade, because he asked for an example, afterwards, he goes " I don't want to have to fund people's recreational fucking. They should learn to keep their legs closed"
I knew the switch was coming, in his bait and switch, but I did it anyway... probably because I was aware that it was a bait and switch and knew to call him out on it and back out when it happened. It's bullshit. BUT. The women's march seemed to be a success. DC law enforcement reported ZERO arrests, and while I heard of a few arrests in other regions, the incidents were minimal. Beyond a success, imo. And very inspiring.

Baruch

Not all marches are fronts for anarchists or criminals, fortunately.  Lawfully and peaceable assembly shouldn't be prohibited, though I understand it can get in the way of people's morning commute.

This is meant in fun ... women being practical multl-taskers ... the women't marches should have appropriate music blaring, so that the ladies can jazzercise and lose some weight (whatever is appropriate weight for them individually of course).

I would hope that Roe-vs-Wade won't be overturned ... just because.  Of course if Dominionists achieve dictatorship as some here fear, then we will all have to become Christaliban.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

Delusional Dames

QuoteBut, I have a super idea for these delusional dames. Pack up your sideshow and head to Riyadh. Unbelievably, these intellectual pygmies were reading the Koran with reverence at a P*ssy March. Has a disconnect ever been more huge? And not one journalist has the backbone to highlight this jaw-dropping idiocy?

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Atheon

It was fantastic to see record numbers of people (there were many men numbering among the women), marching in in opposition to Chump and the Repubes' imminent assault on women's rights (and everyone's rights, for that matter).
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Atheon

Quote from: Baruch on January 22, 2017, 05:45:46 PMI would hope that Roe-vs-Wade won't be overturned ... just because.  Of course if Dominionists achieve dictatorship as some here fear, then we will all have to become Christaliban.
I hope you voted for Hillary then. Because if you don't want RvW overturned, the only hope was Hillary. Which is why I voted for her.

If RvW is overturned, then we might as well pack it in and say goodnight as a species, because all hope for humanity would be lost forever.

By the way, I just doubled my monthly contribution to Planned Parenthood. I urge every American here to contribute to them regularly in order to help women in need and to fight the good fight against the evil empire.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Mermaid

Our new president hasn't even acknowledged it. He doesn't give a fucking fuck about what the people want.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Munch

I won't put down the entire thing, because their is solid reason to be fearful of trump and his chosen candidates, but some of the shit this March brought with it was worse then any crap the crump could spew out.

Madonna is a fucking joke, blowing up the white house? Oh clever thing that, sorry Madonna your not exactly Guy Fawkes. And some of the shit their coming out with in the crowds.

https://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=6NZ3hMeJei0

https://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=82BsFb7bajc

Trumps a grotesque person, but the reactions of these protesters is worse then any damage he could do to America.

aitm

I don't need a doctors permission for birth control so I pretty much give them the right to bitch.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mermaid

Madonna is a jerkoff. She did more harm than anyone else.

Please look past her. She was one of millions of women who were there for the same reason. Think about why they were there.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Shiranu

Quote... but some of the shit this March brought with it was worse then any crap the crump could spew out.

Objectively prove that, please.

QuoteTrumps a grotesque person, but the reactions of these protesters is worse then any damage he could do to America.

Definitely objectively prove that, please. You are telling me that fringe sections of a multi-million people march is going to do more damage than the sitting president of the United States, the guy who's party controls all levels of policy making.

And you and several others say this same shit every time there is a protest, be it against whatever... you find someway to make it about how the fringe groups are a bigger threat then the people actually making policy and passing it into law.

Any time someone raises their voice, you hop on the bandwagon of trying to silence it by taking the most fringe aspects of it and painting the entire movement with the same brush. You can try to hide it behind your, "I'm not racist, but..." preface of you aren't trying to put the whole thing down... but every single movement, be it women's rights, African American rights, anti-Police brutality rights, whatever... the only message you have is one of negativity and going on and on about how parts of the movement are in your opinion.

And I don't know why; I don't know if it's just how you have been trained to think, if you disagree with the movements, or what... but it seems any time anything good is done, the knee jerk reaction is to find the absolute worse aspect and try to discredit the movement through it and ignore the actual reason people are protesting.

So please, objectively tell me... how in the hell are these people a bigger threat to you than the politicians who hold every top level position in the government? I want to see the workings on that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Atheon

They're marching for freedom, justice and equality, and some tiny-minded people think that's a threat.

If you feel threatened by freedom, justice and equality, GOOD. Oh, and FUCK YOU.

Munch

Oh ho ho Shiranu, always love that ends justices the means attitude you have there.

That said, you miss the point entirely, the push this march vaguely aimed at becomes undermined by violent, ignorant protesters at the forefront of said march, giving the same old shit of "DOWN WITH CIS WHITE MENZ" or "BURN THE WHITE HOUSE". When these people are at the front of your march, it just makes the rest look bad for any rational points the rest are trying to make.

I'd also like to remind you of what democracy stands for, trump, awful as he is, was elected via a democratic system that lets the people decide. Oh, he isn't who YOU wanted? To fucking bad, maybe more of you should have voted for Hillary then.

You don't live in a dictatorship, like north Korea, the fact this March can be given weight in the first place is something you should be grateful for. But if the protest is spearheaded by violent and ignorant protesters, maybe assessing the idiots in the crowd for fucking it all up would make better sense then just believing their points are as valid as the non-crazies

This  is the same shit like with #BLM, that a point being made in mass protest, is marred by idiots in the crowd with the loudest voice destroying the original point of said group entirely. It's pretty much handing the media a red button to the dynamite