Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

This week in stupid

Started by PickelledEggs, January 20, 2017, 03:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: chill98 on January 22, 2017, 08:00:48 PM
This is a valid part of the issue. 

With the health care industry closing in on 20% of the GDP, there is motive to keep those numbers high.  To reduce that impact makes the country look poorer.

GDP voodoo economics.  If everyone but one man died, then the per-capita wealth would go thru the roof!  Most of the components of the GDP don't matter to real people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

chill98

Quote from: Baruch on January 23, 2017, 12:06:09 AM
GDP voodoo economics.  If everyone but one man died, then the per-capita wealth would go thru the roof!  Most of the components of the GDP don't matter to real people.
Sure they do!  GDP voodoo economics during the housing boom put a lot of construction workers (not to mention real estate magicians) into higher tax brackets (temporarily anyways).

Baruch

The Roman Empire started to decline, the day they stopped being able to steal profitable shit from their barbarian neighbors.  The US has been dying since about 1890 for the same reason.  This unavoidable need to constantly expand, is why WW I happened.  That need hasn't gone away, so the need for world wars haven't gone away, they have just morphed, since 1945 into quasi-wars.  It is thought by some, if we banned all interest on loans, that the absence of the exponential function would allow a less competitive situation.  And in finance, that function is what drives all assets and income in ever greater amounts into the financial sector, to the detriment of the real economy.  Population pressure and desire for a higher living standard would remain.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 04, 2017, 07:45:19 AM
The Roman Empire started to decline, the day they stopped being able to steal profitable shit from their barbarian neighbors.  The US has been dying since about 1890 for the same reason.  This unavoidable need to constantly expand, is why WW I happened.  That need hasn't gone away, so the need for world wars haven't gone away, they have just morphed, since 1945 into quasi-wars.  It is thought by some, if we banned all interest on loans, that the absence of the exponential function would allow a less competitive situation.  And in finance, that function is what drives all assets and income in ever greater amounts into the financial sector, to the detriment of the real economy.  Population pressure and desire for a higher living standard would remain.

Well, never let it be said that I can't agree with you on something, at least in a very general way.

The US economy HAS changed.  Not necessarily for the better but changed.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

USA exists in the context of historical Western civilization ... we don't exist in the Star Trek Federation of Planets.  While I like some of the fictional adventures of scifi characters .. we can't live there.  Courage, wisdom other values ... are real however.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 11:52:54 AM
USA exists in the context of historical Western civilization ... we don't exist in the Star Trek Federation of Planets.  While I like some of the fictional adventures of scifi characters .. we can't live there.  Courage, wisdom other values ... are real however.

Straw Man argument...  I have always discussed the US in current and historical terms. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 01:19:06 PM
Straw Man argument...  I have always discussed the US in current and historical terms.

But but ... you aren't the only poster .. unless I am you or you are me.  Current terms are subject to prejudice and politics.  Historical terms can't be cross examined.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 04:19:51 PM
But but ... you aren't the only poster .. unless I am you or you are me.  Current terms are subject to prejudice and politics.  Historical terms can't be cross examined.

Facts are always cross-examinable.  It is only people who think they are not who get confused by this.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 01:19:06 PM

But history is propaganda.  And propaganda has a short shelf life.  At least a Straw Man can be used as tinder.  We are now finding out that the 2nd tier in State Department interfered (a felony) with the FBI investigating of Hillary's stupid home email server.  They were covering for their former boss.  But all those guys conveniently resigned, as soon as Trump was inaugurated.  Good thing too, Trump retained Comey.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

I think Trump's stupid behavior has exceeded Hillary's stupid email behavior a long time ago.

Sat night live is gonna have to extend the show into Sun afternoon or they're gonna be wasting a lot of good material
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on February 19, 2017, 04:28:25 PM
I think Trump's stupid behavior has exceeded Hillary's stupid email behavior a long time ago.

Sat night live is gonna have to extend the show into Sun afternoon or they're gonna be wasting a lot of good material

SNL is set for many years.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 20, 2017, 12:55:58 AM
SNL is set for many years.

Will be fun for D folk watching TV in the FEMA camp ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

FEMA camp would be a bad idea for whoever is in power. That would give D a chance to organize a resistance.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on February 20, 2017, 11:00:44 PM
FEMA camp would be a bad idea for whoever is in power. That would give D a chance to organize a resistance.

Good ... if the Ds actually resisted, instead of triangulating ... I would have hope.  There must always be antithesis, to oppose thesis, or there is no synthesis.

But realistically, it will be the poor, regardless of party affiliation, who will be sent to work camps.  Albeit Mach Frei.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I wonder how long it will take regular Republicans to realize that acknowledged and publicized government emails and not quite as bad as a dictator-wannabe?