News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anyone a Fishkeeper?

Started by BettaPonic, January 14, 2017, 09:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

I used to have a pond in Texas full of goldfish that grew to about a foot long each. The koi got even bigger, about 2 feet.. They're all in fishy heaven now..
I keep thinking about digging a new pond here except it's a lot of fucking work.. I dunno..I might do it again and use lake water to resupply the water source..pump lake water up and let it trickle back down with a small waterfall..  Well, not so small being it would probably be about 15 feet up from the surface of the lake..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Bluewind

I use to be, but my new place doesn't allow them. I miss it. I had a 25 gallon tank with live plants (floating and planted in substrate), UVA/UVB light, good filter, and supernaturals sand. I had 5 female veil tail beta (females veil tail are okay with each other with lots of plants to break up line of sight and plenty of hides), 6 kuli loaches, and 1 albino dojo loach (gotten by mistake but she was a happy little thing and hung out with the beta instead of the loaches. She would flip on her back and eat beta pellets instead of eating with the kuli XD).
There is beauty in a finite life.

Cavebear

I have bettas, barbs, tetras, gouramis, and corys.  I've bred and raised bettas, gouramis, tetras and barbs.  I've bred fancy guppies to 5 generations before I got bored.  I raised a plecostomus to 12".

But these days, I just keep a few of those in a community tank.  More interested in veggies and flowers now. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

onyx

I admit I've got a bad case of the fishkeeping bug. Seven aquariums up and running, plus a bunch of fancy goldfish whose temporary home is a 35 gallon plastic storage tote on the garage floor while I get the interior of their permanent tank built. (I wanted to decorate it with bamboo canes, but real bamboo rots underwater, so I had to make faux bamboo out of PVC pipe, which has been a long, laborious process.)

It's a lot of fun, though.

Sorginak

I am more of a cat person. 

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

Quote from: onyx on April 04, 2017, 10:18:29 PM
(I wanted to decorate it with bamboo canes, but real bamboo rots underwater, so I had to make faux bamboo out of PVC pipe, which has been a long, laborious process.)

It's a lot of fun, though.

A few years ago, I met an artist whose craft took him in a very interesting direction.  He became one of those guys that creates the simulated "natural" environments for animals in the zoo.  He made things like jungle vines out of latex and heavy duty chain, so the gorilla's could swing around their environment and not destroy it.  If they needed a huge rock over in the corner, he would make one.  I thought it was fascinating.  I wish I had that job.

onyx

Quote from: SGOS on April 05, 2017, 08:32:31 AM
A few years ago, I met an artist whose craft took him in a very interesting direction.  He became one of those guys that creates the simulated "natural" environments for animals in the zoo.  He made things like jungle vines out of latex and heavy duty chain, so the gorilla's could swing around their environment and not destroy it.  If they needed a huge rock over in the corner, he would make one.  I thought it was fascinating.  I wish I had that job.

It's funny you should mention that. When I was trying to figure out how to make faux bamboo, I found a "how-to" article by a guy who did that for a living, but ironically, I didn't think his bamboo looked realistic enough, so I moved on to a different technique. Sometimes I'm too much of a perfectionist.

SGOS

Quote from: onyx on April 05, 2017, 06:21:30 PM
It's funny you should mention that. When I was trying to figure out how to make faux bamboo, I found a "how-to" article by a guy who did that for a living, but ironically, I didn't think his bamboo looked realistic enough, so I moved on to a different technique. Sometimes I'm too much of a perfectionist.
I applaud that kind of perfectionism.  How the Hell else to you make things better?  Furthermore, there is still room to perfect your perfectionism.  There always is.  If I ever need to make fake bamboo, I'll contact you.

pr126

Yes, but not for too long.
I keep them in the freezer until it is time to cook them.
Then I buy more.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on April 06, 2017, 12:59:15 PM
Yes, but not for too long.
I keep them in the freezer until it is time to cook them.
Then I buy more.

Who cooks guppies?

Cavebear

I'm resurecting this thread because I lost 2 bettas in the past week.  I bought 2 special betta tanks a few years ago.  They have a plastic base at the bottom, you put gravel on the top, and (theoretically) an air tube in the center pulls the water through the gravel and aerobic bacteria live there and eat the waste.

Yeah, like THAT happens.  So I've had to take them apart every month and clean the containers thoroughly.  Ok, cleaning is good.  The bettas need water not full of their own pee.

But I had a slight problem with the bettas swimming down the air tubes, and dying.  Yeah, they are bored maybe.

So I wrapped some plastic mesh around the top of the air bubble tube to keep them out.

It comes loose sometimes.  And they go right for the tube and die.

My question is "Is it just me or is that a routine problem?

I took the whole plastic assembly out of both containers today and just left the airstones bubbling slightly.  That should end the problem.

And BTW, does anyone know how to raise brine shrimp to adult size?  I do great with the hatchlings and the main aquarium fish love them.  But the bettas don't seem to see them until they are adult size (the brine shrimp, not the bettas).  They seem to prefer larger slow moving food (like full grown brine shrimp). 

And yes, I know not to put the brine shrimp into the betta tanks in salty water...

Baruch

Sorry to hear.  Are your cats in mourning too?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2017, 09:46:54 AM
Sorry to hear.  Are your cats in mourning too?

The Mews never found the Betta tanks on the bookshelves.  And had they, the tops would have prevented any exploration. 

_Xenu_

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2017, 09:56:17 AM
The Mews never found the Betta tanks on the bookshelves.  And had they, the tops would have prevented any exploration. 
I have never heard of betas needing filters. Bigger tanks than they are often sold in, yes.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home