News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anyone a Fishkeeper?

Started by BettaPonic, January 14, 2017, 09:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BettaPonic

Just curious if any of you all are fishkeepers out there? I keep Guppies crossed with a little endler. A Betta. I also keep a North American oddball, the Least Killifish. I use planted tanks and grow plants out of the lid. Tell me your stories.

GrinningYMIR

I used to keep guppies mollies and neons! I loved them
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mr.Obvious

Just gonna Check in and follow this thread. Gf and I are thinking of taking an aquarium.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

I like the neons.  I put a matt black backing on the tank, which really sets off the greenery and the fish, especially the neons.  Black sounds like an odd choice until you actually see it.  It will increase the ambiance of the tank by a factor of two.

BettaPonic

Quote from: SGOS on January 15, 2017, 08:43:02 AM
I like the neons.  I put a matt black backing on the tank, which really sets off the greenery and the fish, especially the neons.  Black sounds like an odd choice until you actually see it.  It will increase the ambiance of the tank by a factor of two.

Do you grow aquatic plants too? If so what plants do you grow?

_Xenu_

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on January 15, 2017, 12:58:15 AM
Yep. You have to be careful of those Angelfish though, they're mean as hell.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

_Xenu_

Quote from: SGOS on January 15, 2017, 08:43:02 AM
Did you know that if you mix different kinds of tetras they will school? For example, neons and glowlights.

_Xenu_

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on January 15, 2017, 12:58:15 AM
Guppies are awesome, I remember breeding them. Anything that gives live birth is much easier to breed. Mollies are the same way.

SGOS

Quote from: BettaPonic on January 15, 2017, 08:44:35 AM

Do you grow aquatic plants too? If so what plants do you grow?

I haven't had a fish tank for 50 years, but I actually remember the name my most prevalent plant, VALESENARIA, which roots in the gravel and grows into a heavy bladed sea grass that the fish can swim through.  It grows very long and eventually lies on the surface of the water.  I planted it mostly at the back of the fifteen gallon tank, but not so dense as to obstruct the view of the fish.  I also harvested some shale rock from the side of the road on a trip out west with my parents and built little cliff like layers of shale to create some topographic relief.  I used natural colored gravel, but I thought the bright iridescent colors were attractive too.  I also wanted something of interest in addition to the fish. Some people like to put a ceramic castle at the bottom of the tank, but that looks fake to me, but I found a model of a decayed hulk of a rotting ship's hull and half buried it in the gravel.  Looking at the tank, I could imagine that I was scuba diving.

QuoteValesenaria is another one that is great at filtering the nitrites out of the tank.. Brighter lights could help if you have LIVING plants in the water, it stimulates growth and that takes food, the food comes out of the water.

SGOS

Quote from: _Xenu_ on January 15, 2017, 08:58:02 AM
Did you know that if you mix different kinds of tetras they will school? For example, neons and glowlights.

I think all of my tetras were neons, but they most definitely schooled, and I liked that behavior, which created an interesting contrast with the other fish.

_Xenu_

Quote from: SGOS on January 15, 2017, 10:23:30 AM
I think all of my tetras were neons, but they most definitely schooled, and I liked that behavior, which created an interesting contrast with the other fish.
I would be interested in hearing the details about that.

SGOS

Quote from: _Xenu_ on January 15, 2017, 10:29:07 AM
I would be interested in hearing the details about that.

Not much more to say about that.  I had maybe 10 tetras that swam around together, over here, then over there, constantly cruising around in a group, while the rest of the fish, which I bought in pairs, acted independent of each other.  I had rasboras, zebras, angel fish, swordtails, some ugly critter that stayed at the bottom, supposedly cleaning the gravel, and I can't remember what else.  There were no guppies.

Edit:  And black mollies.

Mermaid

Used to be. Brackish species were my thing at home but I also kept some freshwater species, too. I used to manage the fish section at a feedstore, so I got to choose, buy and maintain all the freshwater fish stock, it was really fun. I loved building tank displays, and used neons and cardinal tetras a lot. They are so pretty when they live in big schools.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

chill98

I have a 55 gallon tank. 

I like little fish - and more of them.

Tetras - Lemon, Black Phantom, Head & tail light, Ember
clown pleco (10 years old and last survivor from 1st group)

Bettas and dwarf gourmi do not do well in my tank.

Would like to get rasboras again but they will feel threatened by the bigger fish.  Had 4 lemon tetras that have turned into 15 now... but none of the others have successfully reproduced (thankfully).

Cherry shrimp do not do well in my tank.  Bamboo shrimp have been a struggle so I gave up - 3 years was longest lived.  Typically a year.

Amano shrimp are 5 years old and doing well.

One lily that has split into two (approx 7 years old).

Aponogeton do well, have sent off plenty of starters (original plant gone now but chain is part of original planting).

Java moss, fern, moss ball, some other type of floating grass type (came with my shrimp as a teeny piece).  Dreaded duck weed that I mistakenly let stay and have been trying to get rid of.

Want to get a 75 gallon.  Need more light for more plants. 

SGOS

The singular fish that didn't school just kind of hung out, but the schooling tetras always seemed like they were on a mission with some definite purpose.