News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What about language imperialism?

Started by Baruch, January 14, 2017, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Why do Progressives want everyone to speak the same language?  Isn't that at least colonial, if not imperialist?  We are using English to post here ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJBw2KlIEo

So here is a quick education about English language imperialism ... so Snowflakes, get out your hankies .... LOL
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

And the LittleEndians, what about them? Idiots!!!!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Language imperialism is active even in small countries ... Israel for instance.  The many Jewish people from many lands who have moved there since 1945 ... they had their own languages when they came, but thanks to public schooling, modern Hebrew is taught (and Palestinian Arabic) ... so those dialects disappear with each new generation.  Of course one could ask, like Native American languages what is the point of preserving a past culture, when we are all moving into some futuristic one-world cosmopolitanism (which conveniently for us is English-based, or in Israel, Hebrew-based).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FD-z3JCCzM ... in 4 parts ... I suspect Klingon will the the ultimate language ;-)

With each language goes a culture and a people ... some extinct, some nearly so (Arameans in Syrian and Assyrians in Iraq) ... once gone, gone forever ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST_tAduIhWc
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

It's a pity those languages are spoken elsewhere, like in the country the people came from.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 14, 2017, 05:08:17 PM
It's a pity those languages are spoken elsewhere, like in the country the people came from.

I am happy with my native language ... not being a language puritan.  English is pragmatic in this era, more so than French or other competitors.  Of course there would be fewer immigrants, if the US wasn't a bloodthirsty Hakkonen dukedom.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

Quote from: Baruch on January 14, 2017, 02:56:45 PM
Why do Progressives want everyone to speak the same language?
Do they? I'm not sure what you mean. Could you provide some context?

I've always seen culturally enforcing one language while discouraging the use of other languages to be a conservative thing.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

drunkenshoe

There are no 'languages' before the modern state policies and standardised education. There are scattered vernaculars.

English is one the youngest one of the modern languages. Nobody have understood English in 17th century, let alone talking about a language in 4th or 5th centuries. Whatever existed is groups of various vernaculars which were very different from each other in various regions. There is no literacy, education, or mass communication, over all a culture accessible to people to create a language community as we understand today.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on January 15, 2017, 01:52:42 AM
Do they? I'm not sure what you mean. Could you provide some context?

I've always seen culturally enforcing one language while discouraging the use of other languages to be a conservative thing.

You see all constraint as conservative.  But it was liberals who bombed Vietnam and Libya.  Those labels don't mean much.  To have a utopia ... it has diverse skin colors, correct?  But to achieve social goals, everyone has to have the same politics, and to have that, they have to have the same culture, and to have that, they all have to speak the one same language.  Liberals and conservatives both have social goals.  To what extent do we have to have uniformity, to have utopia?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on January 14, 2017, 09:45:29 PM
I am happy with my native language ... not being a language puritan.  English is pragmatic in this era, more so than French or other competitors.  Of course there would be fewer immigrants, if the US wasn't a bloodthirsty Hakkonen dukedom.
"Harkonnen".
PZ Myers

Jason78

Quote from: Baruch on January 14, 2017, 02:56:45 PM
Why do Progressives want everyone to speak the same language?

Have you tried speaking Dutch?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Jason78 on January 15, 2017, 03:53:31 PM
Have you tried speaking Dutch?

Ik kan even niet volgen. Is er iets mis met Nederlands misschien?
Ik vind Engels geweldig op zijn manier, die taal klinkt gewoon goed.
Maar Nederlands kan zo geweldig droog zijn. Oudere 'scifi' boeken uit het engels of frans vertaald naar Nederlands zijn gewoonweg hilarisch.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

"God bless Google Translate and all who fail in her."
PZ Myers

Atheon

Quote from: Baruch on January 15, 2017, 08:31:44 AM
You see all constraint as conservative.  But it was liberals who bombed Vietnam and Libya.  Those labels don't mean much.  To have a utopia ... it has diverse skin colors, correct?  But to achieve social goals, everyone has to have the same politics, and to have that, they have to have the same culture, and to have that, they all have to speak the one same language.  Liberals and conservatives both have social goals.  To what extent do we have to have uniformity, to have utopia?
That doesn't answer my question.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on January 15, 2017, 08:41:28 PM
That doesn't answer my question.

Why would the one-world NWO want us to all speak the same language?  Efficiency.  Easier to listen to all the cell phone calls if only one language is spoken ;-)  This has been the ideal since Alexander and Shi Huang Di.  Just like the Soviet Union, where it was more efficient to produce all shoes in just one size (sarc).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

Quote from: Baruch on January 16, 2017, 12:42:27 AM
Why would the one-world NWO want us to all speak the same language?  Efficiency.  Easier to listen to all the cell phone calls if only one language is spoken ;-)  This has been the ideal since Alexander and Shi Huang Di.  Just like the Soviet Union, where it was more efficient to produce all shoes in just one size (sarc).
Alexander? Qin Shi Huang? Soviet Union? All tyrannies. Not progressive. The opposite.