Insults, Misunderstandings and Surprises: How Christians react to the A word

Started by Bluewind, January 13, 2017, 12:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 28, 2017, 06:21:50 PM
I was a Christian for most of my life, and I read the entire New Testament on my own time, as well as a good chunk of the Old Testament. How much of the Bible have you read on your own? Be honest. Remember, your sky daddy will know if you're lying.
Yeah, I've read the thing 3 times! Boy, I was up late that night!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 31, 2017, 05:59:59 PM
Yeah, I've read the thing 3 times! Boy, I was up late that night!

Try the Gathas of Zoroaster ... in Avestan (ancient E Persian).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Bluewind

Remember how I made a thread on the reactions that atheists like me get from telling Christians they are atheists and then a Christian reacted to it and it all turned into a theology debate? I think I'm gonna add that to my list of ways Christians have reacted to me using the A word.

Now. Back to the topic at hand. Anybody had an experience with a Christian reacting to atheism lately?

I had a minor one. It was minor in that she ended up being cool with it.

There was also a bigot who really insulted me a lot. All she knew was that I was polysexual (I had been outed earlier to my neighbors and was upset and she asked) and didn't go to church (when she started saying I should go more I said I don't do church). Lots of insults and low blows later... she finally checked out my book. Yup. Woman was a librarian being loud in the library spouting close minded views and lots of things refuted by science. She was also in her 30s. I don't even wanna think what would have happened had I said I was an atheist instead of I don't go to church. My fault for not filtering like normal, but in my defense I was pretty upset already and in a pretty "fuck it" mood.
There is beauty in a finite life.

Baruch

You probably handled it as good as anyone.  I think your response "don't go to church" as pretty diplomatic.  I would have stated ... Jesus was Jewish, so is it a synagogue you are talking about? ;-)  If I visit a synagogue, I don't wear a kappah that has "heretic" written on it ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Bluewind

Quote from: Baruch on February 04, 2017, 07:15:14 AM
You probably handled it as good as anyone.  I think your response "don't go to church" as pretty diplomatic.  I would have stated ... Jesus was Jewish, so is it a synagogue you are talking about? ;-)  If I visit a synagogue, I don't wear a kappah that has "heretic" written on it ;-))

Lol! Oh my goodness the reaction that would get!

I googled where I live. Over 80 churches! Most were methodist and baptist (how many different interpretations of one bible interpretations can you have in one town!). The only religious buildings that wouldn't be under the Protestant umbrella (that I noticed) was 3 or 4 Mormon church and one small Catholic church. I don't think I've ever seen a synagogue in person, much less a mosque, so suggesting we go to a synagogue would get some crazy looks here (either angry, confused as they try to figure out what it is, or stunned would be my guess).

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 04:47:28 AM
Atheists come in all flavors...
Very true. Mine would be lavender, dog saliva, and cat hair.
There is beauty in a finite life.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

In my experience, theists react to "Atheism" harsher than atheists react to "theism".  To me, theists are just annoying, ignorant, and backwards-facing.  But to a theist, I am the actual proof and representative of true un-abiding satanic evil.

That's pretty harsh considering that I have never injured anyone myself but theism is filled with unremitting mass murder, hatred, and intolerance.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 11, 2017, 01:19:47 AM
In my experience, theists react to "Atheism" harsher than atheists react to "theism".  To me, theists are just annoying, ignorant, and backwards-facing.  But to a theist, I am the actual proof and representative of true un-abiding satanic evil.

That's pretty harsh considering that I have never injured anyone myself but theism is filled with unremitting mass murder, hatred, and intolerance.

You have to remember Christians are victims of oppression, and they take great pride in that.  It's godly to be victimized for your faith, and following in the steps of Jesus dragging his own cross to the place of execution is the image they have of themselves.  To do this, they need an oppressor.  That's you, the spawn of Satan.  And while you may not have ever caused anyone harm, it's in your heart, just like Christians are victims in their heads.  We all have our roles to play.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 11, 2017, 08:04:46 AM
You have to remember Christians are victims of oppression, and they take great pride in that.  It's godly to be victimized for your faith, and following in the steps of Jesus dragging his own cross to the place of execution is the image they have of themselves.  To do this, they need an oppressor.  That's you, the spawn of Satan.  And while you may not have ever caused anyone harm, it's in your heart, just like Christians are victims in their heads.  We all have our roles to play.

Very nicely put!  I like the idea that I can get along just fine without the theists but they sort of need me as a foil.  LOL!

I go whole days without thinking about theisms (broken mostly by idiots on TV), but theists think of their god(s) daily (hourly?).

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 11, 2017, 08:54:38 AM
Very nicely put!  I like the idea that I can get along just fine without the theists but they sort of need me as a foil.  LOL!

I go whole days without thinking about theisms (broken mostly by idiots on TV), but theists think of their god(s) daily (hourly?).

For mystics like myself, it is 24x7 ... but who is counting?  The fear is, if you take your eye off the caravan driver even for a second, you will get lost from the caravan in the middle of the Sahara.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 08:57:49 AM
For mystics like myself, it is 24x7 ... but who is counting?  The fear is, if you take your eye off the caravan driver even for a second, you will get lost from the caravan in the middle of the Sahara.

Getting separated from the caravan can result in many bad outcomes.  You could be lost in a sandstorm and the rest can't find you.  You could be separated and be the only survivor and likely to die as a result.  Or you could have all the camels and water and be killed by bandits.  None good choices.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2017, 07:30:22 AM
Getting separated from the caravan can result in many bad outcomes.  You could be lost in a sandstorm and the rest can't find you.  You could be separated and be the only survivor and likely to die as a result.  Or you could have all the camels and water and be killed by bandits.  None good choices.

There is a good old Muslim story about that ... but I won't repeat it, because ...

Everyone plays follow the leader, even so called leaders.  The TV show Wagon Train proved that ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman