Insults, Misunderstandings and Surprises: How Christians react to the A word

Started by Bluewind, January 13, 2017, 12:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on January 14, 2017, 05:18:41 AM
its always the worst when confronted by a kid who says something like that, because you know the kids been indoctrinated by their parents and/or teachers in 'special' schools, so theres nothing much you can do to get it through to them, not even the simple idea that everyone is different.
She was working as a science outreach educator at a certain establishment in this city.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

missingnocchi

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 14, 2017, 05:21:18 AM
I think rather that she'd never considered the idea before. We had no problems because of it.

That just proves you're in the Matrix too, kiddo :^)
What's a "Leppo?"

Atheon

Quote from: Bluewind on January 14, 2017, 04:28:35 AM
It's commonly added on the end of trans to denote all transgender individuals including transman, transwoman, genderqueer, agender, two spirit, genderfluid, and so on.
That can also be accomplished by just using "trans" without the asterisk.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

widdershins

I told the Jehovah's Witnesses who come around less and less frequently lately when they asked me what my religious beliefs were.  The response was, "No, you're not an atheist."  Just outright, "that's not what you are".  I was a little shocked at first.  I later figured out that they didn't know what an "atheist" was.  They thought it necessarily meant that I would be a bad person, evil, and since I never booted them out, always talked with them politely and was never rude or pushy about my lack of belief, I wasn't a bad person and therefore could not be an atheist.  Instead I was just someone who didn't believe in God...  Still not sure exactly what they think an "atheist" is.
This sentence is a lie...

Baruch

Some people are anti-theist.  Other people are anti-anti-theist.  I think they both go to far.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

widdershins

Quote from: Baruch on January 16, 2017, 01:39:25 PM
Some people are anti-theist.  Other people are anti-anti-theist.  I think they both go to far.
But do they go too far?  Or do they not go too far enough?
This sentence is a lie...

Baruch

Quote from: widdershins on January 16, 2017, 05:39:28 PM
But do they go too far?  Or do they not go too far enough?

Moderation in all things, or fanaticism ... your choice.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Journey_To_Mars

I was in school a couple months ago and someone shouted out that I was an atheist in maths. So a girl asked me after that, "Are you really an atheist?"

I said yes. She asked then, "So, do you believe that the devil Exists?"

I said no and then she said, "Okay, thanks."

It was really embarrassing because I'm a really private person about a lot of things, including being an atheist.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

Maths is a game where you make the rules and play around within them.

Baruch

Quote from: Journey_To_Mars on January 16, 2017, 11:45:15 PM
I was in school a couple months ago and someone shouted out that I was an atheist in maths. So a girl asked me after that, "Are you really an atheist?"

I said yes. She asked then, "So, do you believe that the devil Exists?"

I said yes and then she said, "Okay, thanks."

It was really embarrassing because I'm a really private person about a lot of things, including being an atheist.

Did you mean to mess with her, or were you just at a loss for words.  Otherwise you just converted another person to Jesus Camp.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Journey_To_Mars

Sorry, let me just fix my mistake in there really quick, sometimes I just type faster than what I read.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

Maths is a game where you make the rules and play around within them.

fencerider

en contraire the existence of the devil or any other evil spirit does not constitute any kind of proof that a god exists. *

*Journey I believe you mean mathematics. Maths isn't a real word.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on January 17, 2017, 01:25:53 AM
en contraire the existence of the devil or any other evil spirit does not constitute any kind of proof that a god exists. *

*Journey I believe you mean mathematics. Maths isn't a real word.

Math is merely consistent, and in a narrow way (2-value logic).  That is enough for proof, but not for existence.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

From a brief conversation the other day:

Me: I'm an atheist.
Her: Jesus loves you anyway.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: missingnocchi on January 14, 2017, 05:55:45 AM
That just proves you're in the Matrix too, kiddo :^)
Nah, she was quick on the uptake, and added my experience to her world view without stressing.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

When people learn you are an atheist, there will be misunderstandings at a level beyond the ordinary misunderstandings in communication that happen all day long anyway.  There will also be unwarranted emotional responses, and often a large display of outright ignorance.  Most of the time, these misunderstandings have been slight.  Well, I think they are slight.  I tend to test the emotional waters, and if things haven't gone South, I don't care that much.  But I avoid calling attention to my atheism because I don't like being misunderstood.  Lord knows, I don't understand religious people.  When I'm in a large group of them, it's like being in an asylum, where inmates wander around in their own little worlds, mumbling crazy thoughts while being completely disconnected from each other.

In cases where there is a lot of preaching going on, I have left.  I've listened to this stuff my entire life and decided that it's worthless crap.  I start feeling like I'll scream if I am forced to listen to a steady stream of such incoherent gibberish.  I become part of the asylum myself.  I need to seek out a place where I can talk with someone about more meaningful or normal things, the weather, how much they love their dog, or filing my tax return.