News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Robot rights ...

Started by Baruch, January 13, 2017, 08:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/12/give-robots-personhood-status-eu-committee-argues

I simply find European insanity more interesting than American insanity.  I blame the leaded gasoline used for decades!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Hey, I'm generally a pretty liberal guy, but robots aren't yet nearly sophisticated enough to warrant human rights, IMO. Let's continue to work on getting human rights for humans, instead.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

missingnocchi

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 13, 2017, 03:22:30 PM
Hey, I'm generally a pretty liberal guy, but robots aren't yet nearly sophisticated enough to warrant human rights, IMO. Let's continue to work on getting human rights for humans, instead.

The actual report doesn't mete out any robot rights, and in fact only obliquely mentions the concept as something the EU should be prepared for. Most of it is about establishing guidelines to prevent robots from bringing harm to humans, either directly or through their economic impact.
What's a "Leppo?"

Baruch

Quote from: missingnocchi on January 13, 2017, 05:06:18 PM
The actual report doesn't mete out any robot rights, and in fact only obliquely mentions the concept as something the EU should be prepared for. Most of it is about establishing guidelines to prevent robots from bringing harm to humans, either directly or through their economic impact.

We need to dig up Isaac Asimov then, he had rules for robotics ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

missingnocchi

Quote from: Baruch on January 14, 2017, 02:26:22 AM
We need to dig up Isaac Asimov then, he had rules for robotics ;-)

He is cited in the report, albeit only to say that while his rules express the right goals, they are useless in practical terms.
What's a "Leppo?"

Baruch

Quote from: missingnocchi on January 14, 2017, 05:10:31 AM
He is cited in the report, albeit only to say that while his rules express the right goals, they are useless in practical terms.

Scifi is useless?  I will put something in a time capsule so that the Foundation will know that ... 5,000 years from now ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.