News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

More Americans Are Identifying As LGBT

Started by _Xenu_, January 13, 2017, 06:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: _Xenu_ on January 14, 2017, 07:21:06 PM
I have to admit I am curious. How much is nature and how much is nurture? Just wanting whatever your opinion is. Nothing you say about this is going to offend me.

Evidence currently seems to point to nature, but most psychological differences are believed to be the result of both nature and nurture. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on January 14, 2017, 07:41:05 PM
Eh, what we find attractive is largely nurture, so I am sure there is room for it in sexuality as well.

Raise boys with dolls and put them in dresses ... and they will become nurturing?  Culture just rearranges the deck chairs, nature is what fuels the boat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

I remember a study where a scientist separated twins at birth and raised the girl as a boy and a boy as a girl. I'm going to sleep, but I'll have to find it when I get up. If I remember correctly, raising them as the opposite of what their nature was making them lean.... Caused problems psychologically. Because it is largely nature.

A mtf trans person doesn't need the transition because they were raised as a girl, it's because they have a biological drive... The nature to do so

Sent from your mom.

drunkenshoe

And being a heterosexual is not a status? It's the central, 'ultimate' status that every other one has been placed around accordingly and that standard hierarchy is a reason why LBGT identities have become statuses of their own. What are you even talking about?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 15, 2017, 04:50:20 AM
And being a heterosexual is not a status? It's the central, 'ultimate' status that every other one has been placed around accordingly and that standard hierarchy is a reason why LBGT identities have become statuses of their own. What are you even talking about?

Perhaps ... the OP is concerned that if LGBT is a privileged status (cough) then people will falsely identify as such, to get unearned state benefits?

Of course in any society, whatever the majority is like ... creates a dialectic for minorities.  They both want to conform (even if they can't) and they reject the majority.  This does't work, assimilation, for most African-Americans ... because they can't make their apparent origin ambiguous.  Nobody knows if your Irish grandmother was a maid if you are White ... but they do think it probable that you ancestor was a slave, because ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 15, 2017, 04:21:40 AM
I remember a study where a scientist separated twins at birth and raised the girl as a boy and a boy as a girl. I'm going to sleep, but I'll have to find it when I get up. If I remember correctly, raising them as the opposite of what their nature was making them lean.... Caused problems psychologically. Because it is largely nature.

A mtf trans person doesn't need the transition because they were raised as a girl, it's because they have a biological drive... The nature to do so

Sent from your mom.
biology and psychology play a part in both what people end up wanting to be later, the difference between what you are and what you expect to be is what causes a lot of grief to people 'i'm your father and you will be this way', or the 'accepted norm' within said society repressing people from what they biologically and mentally want to be.

Cultures and religions fuck people over in the worst ways.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on January 15, 2017, 09:16:47 AM
biology and psychology play a part in both what people end up wanting to be later, the difference between what you are and what you expect to be is what causes a lot of grief to people 'i'm your father and you will be this way', or the 'accepted norm' within said society repressing people from what they biologically and mentally want to be.

Cultures and religions fuck people over in the worst ways.

if children weren't forced to conform (in some ways, not all) then we would have Lord of the Flies.  In fact, I attribute most of today's problems to broken families (and yes, I blame the parents, the children are minors).  Anarchists might think it fun for children to do whatever they feel like doing.  Family is oppressive ... get over it already.  And yes, some parents suck more than others, humans usually don't get good at parenting until it is too late.  In my case, I wouldn't have any problem with my daughter expressing alternative sexuality or politics ... I would just caution her, and let her know I back her up.  But then I am awesome!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Absurd Atheist

Quote from: _Xenu_ on January 14, 2017, 07:21:06 PM
I have to admit I am curious. How much is nature and how much is nurture? Just wanting whatever your opinion is. Nothing you say about this is going to offend me.

I see no reason that at a baseline 'queer' identity is not genetic or otherwise natural. I didn't choose to be straight so I doubt millions chose to be queer and ostracized. While I do understand how nurture plays a role in actual attraction (an issue I'm struggling with now) and quite possibly examples like that graph of graysexual-abiosexual... are possibly nurture, it would seem irrational that someone wasn't naturally homosexual. Of course I got hit with, "I know gays who've been saved by Christ and everyone makes a choice to be gay.". It was a good talk over all however, though I got zero answers for God of course.
"To have faith is to lose your mind and to win God."
-The Sickness unto Death - 1849

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on January 15, 2017, 09:46:25 AM
if children weren't forced to conform (in some ways, not all) then we would have Lord of the Flies.  In fact, I attribute most of today's problems to broken families (and yes, I blame the parents, the children are minors).  Anarchists might think it fun for children to do whatever they feel like doing.  Family is oppressive ... get over it already.  And yes, some parents suck more than others, humans usually don't get good at parenting until it is too late.  In my case, I wouldn't have any problem with my daughter expressing alternative sexuality or politics ... I would just caution her, and let her know I back her up.  But then I am awesome!

You sir, get a gold star for parenting.

It's like me, I will support my nephews choice to watch minions. I'll be screaming in my head the entire time to end my suffering, but I can put on a face pretending to enjoy it with him.

Absurd Atheist

Quote from: Baruch on January 15, 2017, 09:46:25 AM
if children weren't forced to conform (in some ways, not all) then we would have Lord of the Flies.  In fact, I attribute most of today's problems to broken families (and yes, I blame the parents, the children are minors)...

Which problems exactly are broken families responsible for?
"To have faith is to lose your mind and to win God."
-The Sickness unto Death - 1849

Munch

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on January 15, 2017, 10:58:32 AM

Instability leading to psychological problems, lack of developed empathy, social disorder.

It's a case by case basis how children are able to survive their families being broken, some might come out of it fine, while others might be damaged by it. It's a massive blow to any kid to lose that kind of stability around them.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on January 15, 2017, 10:52:31 AM
You sir, get a gold star for parenting.

It's like me, I will support my nephews choice to watch minions. I'll be screaming in my head the entire time to end my suffering, but I can put on a face pretending to enjoy it with him.

I blame my parents ;-)  They weren't overbearing, but then I was mostly conformist.  I came a little bit later than the 60s hippies.  They understood I was a little different, but weren't actively supportive either.  My daughter's mother was't overbearing either, just the usual mother-daughter fights.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on January 15, 2017, 10:58:32 AM

Broken families sometimes break themselves, sometimes they are broken by government policy and economic chaos.  No, you don't have to have a mom and a dad ... but you need two parents (even two aunts or two uncles) because it is too hard all by yourself.  And you need economic and other stability.  The kid will grow up naturally, if you just provide a supportive and nurturing environment for 20+ years ;-)  Of course the plutocracy doesn't want middle class people, they want desperate poor people.  Of course people mess themselves up, for a thousand reasons.  If you are a kid in Aleppo, in a war zone, and you just got orphaned ... you are not likely to grow up normal.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason78

Quote from: Munch on January 13, 2017, 07:53:25 PM
LGBTQPAI just seems like a jumbled mess of meaning now, I'd sooner someone make a new word for it instead just adding another sexual status every few years. Give it another ten years and it'll be something like LGBTQPAIHJODCVYWQXMUR.

I remember when it was just LGB.  Give it another ten years and we'll all just be getting on with our lives without obsessing over our neighbours sexuality.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

_Xenu_

Quote from: Jason78 on January 15, 2017, 03:37:34 PM
I remember when it was just LGB.  Give it another ten years and we'll all just be getting on with our lives without obsessing over our neighbours sexuality.
I still say your avatar looks like Cinnamon, Rajesh's dog from the Big Bang Theory.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home