News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Dylann Roof Sentenced to Death

Started by SGOS, January 11, 2017, 11:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I was just wondering if Dylann Roof might be a special case that would soften anyone's reluctance to use the death penalty?  I've thought about my own feelings on this and had a slightly different perception about executions.  I don't lose sleep over the death penalty, but I am opposed to it.  Executing Roof won't negate the damage he has done, and data indicates it won't have an over all effect on murder rates, and I've been told it's more expensive to execute than confine, but it dawned on me that Roof's execution might be viewed as simple "waste disposal."

Baruch

Death penalty is a complex issue.  But if anyone deserves it, he does (assuming he wasn't insane, and if you agree even if he was insane, that the murderous insane deserve execution).  I personally think that anyone who kills another human being deliberately ... is insane, but medical professionals disagree.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

It would be cheaper to lock him up, throw away the key, and forget about him. Villains like him don't deserve glory.

Equal opportunity butt-stabber.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

When I was ten or so, a bus type museum thing came to my suburb of Chicago.  It was some kind of law enforcement mobile museum, probably owned by the state.  I remember it contained an array of stuff, but I can't remember any specific thing, except that at the back end of the bus, in a place of royal prominence, was the electric chair.  Supposedly it was the actual electric chair.  Nothing special about the chair itself.  It looked to be an antique, but commercially built sturdy oak chair like I had seen in many older people's homes.  There were all sorts of things that supplemented the chair for executions, but there was nothing electric about the chair itself.  I guess I was expecting something else, and while it made sense, it was a slight disappointment.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 12, 2017, 10:22:15 AM
When I was ten or so, a bus type museum thing came to my suburb of Chicago.  It was some kind of law enforcement mobile museum, probably owned by the state.  I remember it contained an array of stuff, but I can't remember any specific thing, except that at the back end of the bus, in a place of royal prominence, was the electric chair.  Supposedly it was the actual electric chair.  Nothing special about the chair itself.  It looked to be an antique, but commercially built sturdy oak chair like I had seen in many older people's homes.  There were all sorts of things that supplemented the chair for executions, but there was nothing electric about the chair itself.  I guess I was expecting something else, and while, it made sense, it was a slight disappointment.

Edison invented the electric chair, to debunk his competitor, Tesla.  Edison wanted to show that his direct current system was safer than Tesla's alternating current system.  J P Morgan funded the test, because he had put money into direct current electric infrastructure.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Baruch, you're forgetting your history. It wasn't Nicola Tesla who Edison was chief rival for, it was George Westinghouse. Nicola Tesla was part of Westinghouse's team, but Edison and Tesla were not direct rivals (even though Edison did stiff Tesla when he was working for Edison).
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Atheon

I'm 100% against the death penalty, but given that it is legal, it's a reasonable sentence for such a heinous mass murder.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

drunkenshoe

I remember, somebody posted something like '68 % of Americans support death penalty' long time ago, on one of the old threads on this issue.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Taken from dealthpenaltyinfo.org

"This poll found that 62 percent of Americans favor the death penalty for people who are convicted of murder, while only 26 % are opposed. That support crossed party lines -- 87 % of Republicans, 58 % of independents and 51 % of Democrats said that they were in favor of execution as a punishment for murder."

The US and China are two of the few countries that have the death penalty.  In other countries, they just strap you down and force you to listen to the political speeches, it is like Vogon poetry ;-)

And compared to Tesla, Westinghouse wasn't even a genius.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

The Skeletal Atheist

I'm against the state having the power to do such a thing, but ideally he would have been held against a wall and shot like the disease he is. If the state wants their pound of flesh from the bastard, so be it.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on January 12, 2017, 01:10:58 PM
Edison invented the electric chair, to debunk his competitor, Tesla.  Edison wanted to show that his direct current system was safer than Tesla's alternating current system.  J P Morgan funded the test, because he had put money into direct current electric infrastructure.
Didn't he publicly electrocute elephants to prop up his scheme?

The problem with DC is that you couldn't transmit it more than ... 20? ... miles, so you'd need power plants all over, and forget about "rural electrification".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 13, 2017, 06:10:15 AM
Didn't he publicly electrocute elephants to prop up his scheme?

The problem with DC is that you couldn't transmit it more than ... 20? ... miles, so you'd need power plants all over, and forget about "rural electrification".

Yes.  Westinghouse merely made Tesla's mad ideas practical (we need those guys too).  Yes, short transmission, many more power plants, more money for J P Morgan.  And yes, Edison executed a elephant.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Baruch on January 12, 2017, 07:52:14 PM
And compared to Tesla, Westinghouse wasn't even a genius.
Without Westinghouse, Tesla would have been nowhere. Tesla was long on bright ideas, but kind of short on business sense. It takes an industrial laboratory to turn an invention into a product. The electrification of America was a war of products, not inventions.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on January 14, 2017, 09:36:53 PM
Without Westinghouse, Tesla would have been nowhere. Tesla was long on bright ideas, but kind of short on business sense. It takes an industrial laboratory to turn an invention into a product. The electrification of America was a war of products, not inventions.

Yes, we don't need inventors ... just industrial giants.  And we don't need scientists ... just industrial giants.  And we don't need mathematicians ... just industrial giants.  And we don't need industrial giants, because everything accomplished since 1700 are by the Rothschild controlled Bank of England and its branch offices like the Federal Reserve.  So all we really need is banking, with lots of usury ... and fake money (actual gold and silver are too restrictive of megalomania).  Please bow down and worship Jamie Dimond next time you go to get your payoff.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Just this week we had stories about a man and his girlfriend who raped and dismembered her daughter, for fun, and a woman who stuffed her child into a bathroom for over a year...12 years old weighed 30lbs. Give me the fuckin button and get outa the way pussies, shit about to get taken care of.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust