Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

PBS: Why Millennials Ruin Everything

Started by Shiranu, January 11, 2017, 05:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 12, 2017, 08:54:06 AM
My brother and sister were born in Eighties. :p
If I had a say in 'marking' my generation, it'd probably be from tops 1985 to tops 1995. Or '86 and '96. If you are in that agerange, I see potential to equivalency of where we are at in our lives.

You are from a more evolved culture in comparison. This is not just something about periods of time.   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PickelledEggs

Quote from: pr126 on January 12, 2017, 05:01:49 AM
I would blame the ox. It should know better.
After all, it is the ox getting the extra whipping to get the cart out of the mud.

lol that's like when you play a MarioKart 64 and you press the "a" button harder to make your car go faster.

PickelledEggs

Also. the funny thing about when these people try to make a point by showing a google search, or even the start of a google search and seeing the predicted searches....

Google uses analytics to predict these things. Bing does too. If it's a major search engine, it's going to have a huge number of results on the exact topic you search for. Also, google, for instance, will show predicted searches based on what that user has already searched for. I don't think if you guys press the "s" key in to google on your browser, the first couple predicted searches is going to be "stream to facebook via OBS" and "sparks this town" (see my screenshot I took and attatched)

Why did that stuff show up for me? Because I was searching it. If you're constantly searching a certain narrative, or trying to search ways to push your narrative, you begin to get a vortex of your own echo. A personal 1-man echochamber that seems like it's more relevant than it actually is to reality. If I keep searching "girls like guys who forcefully advance on them sexually" the analytics will reverberate back and make me think it's true, even though it's not. Or at least that there are proportionately more people that think that than there is.

If you search something on google, you're going to get a massive amount of results. If I search Hitler loved everyone, the first thing that comes up for me is "The hitler we loved and why"... also on there... "10 reasons Hitler was one of the good guys"... See attached image #2... you and I know that Hitler was a genocidal maniac and we would not, by even the slightest call him one of the "good guys", but if you search it, it will show up. False narratives or true narratives and anything in between. If you search it, it will show up.

PickelledEggs

That all said, I don't necessarily disagree with the original post. I actually think it's pretty interesting and brings up a few good points. I do think people have to stop using google searches as evidence of relevance... or evidence of.... anything.

PickelledEggs

Journey_To_Mars

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 12, 2017, 02:03:56 PM
Here is another good video on the subject of generations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HFwok9SlQQ

I wanted to use this video as well but I decided that the one I used would better fit the narrative my argument.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

Maths is a game where you make the rules and play around within them.

Baruch

Usually Generation X says they don't exist, because marketers jump from Baby Boomers to Millennials.  So yes, this whole thing is a marketing concept.  Do you claim that marketing doesn't exist?  My Millennial daughter will be surprised to learn that she doesn't exist.  She was always trending toward Buddhism anyway ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Journey_To_Mars

I'm not claiming that marketing doesn't exist at all, I just wanted something that more fully got the picture across that we would always be talking about the next group of kids as being less bright than when they were kids.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

Baruch

Quote from: Journey_To_Mars on January 12, 2017, 08:05:45 PM
I'm not claiming that marketing doesn't exist at all, I just wanted something that more fully got the picture across that we would always be talking about the next group of kids as being less bright than when they were kids.

Every generation looks down on the next, adults are taller than children ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Journey_To_Mars

Quote from: Baruch on January 13, 2017, 07:44:31 AM
Every generation looks down on the next, adults are taller than children ;-)

But only children have the potential to outgrow the adult.

Ro3bert

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 12, 2017, 01:06:03 AM
If an oxcart gets stuck in the mud, do you blame the ox or do you blame the driver?

Frankly I'd blame the mud first then the driver.

Ro3bert

Well I was born in the 1930's so don't know what a "millenial" is.

Baruch

Quote from: Ro3bert on January 13, 2017, 08:20:21 PM

You must make calls with a Seeing iPhone.  Is your white cane bluetoothed?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

Quote from: Ro3bert on January 13, 2017, 08:20:21 PM
Whoa! We have someone here older than I am.
Welcome Ro3bert.