News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello. :(

Started by Marc, January 07, 2017, 06:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

Agree with MikeCI read the babble, front to back,,,you can skip the "he begat him who begat him and yada yada....interesting to me why the babble has nearly half the book of numbers (if I recall) detailing how much and how the priests get paid... a little to obvious if you ask me.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on January 08, 2017, 07:48:59 AM
Agree with MikeCI read the babble, front to back,,,you can skip the "he begat him who begat him and yada yada....interesting to me why the babble has nearly half the book of numbers (if I recall) detailing how much and how the priests get paid... a little to obvious if you ask me.

Ancient culture not our own.  I wouldn't have participated in the Temple cult myself, too much like John the Baptist I am.  Of course priests make a living, do you expect them to do all that liturgy and animal sacrifice for free? ;-)  But what was wrong, was they were gouging the faithful, like the sons of Eli did, before the end of the Tabernacle, when the Ark got captured by the Philistines.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Marc

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 08, 2017, 04:48:43 AM
Welcome to our little band of heathens.

So you say you became agnostic? Mind if I ask if you are an agnostic theist, or an agnostic atheist?
"Gnostic and agnostic" and "atheist or theist" are different answers to two different questions.
Though if you want to use the lable 'agnostic' as a placeholder for something, go ahead I guess. Pick your own lable.

Sorry for being pedantic about this. Its just that I called myself an agnostic for a few years, before finally realizing I'd been an atheist all that time, but I just thought agnostic was more "sound". It wasn't until I learned that atheist 'lack a belief' in God, that I realized I was one.

Probably, an agnostic. I am going to read the Bible more like you guys said. I am also sorry about the poor grammar I'm only 15 and I don't really have a good grammar. I decided to become agnostic now, because right now I'm basically basing it on the church I go to that requires a 20$ offerings each person. That's really what irritates me because I thought offerings were to be anything. I feel that when I read the Bible more, I will get more educated on the Bible and probably become an atheist I'm unsure. Thanks for all the help!

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 08, 2017, 05:38:38 AM
Did I use the wrong word?
I don't think you used the wrong word, every time I hear it see the word "pedantic", I think of that scene, though lol.

Sent from your mom.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Marc on January 08, 2017, 11:04:44 AM
Probably, an agnostic. I am going to read the Bible more like you guys said. I am also sorry about the poor grammar I'm only 15 and I don't really have a good grammar. I decided to become agnostic now, because right now I'm basically basing it on the church I go to that requires a 20$ offerings each person. That's really what irritates me because I thought offerings were to be anything. I feel that when I read the Bible more, I will get more educated on the Bible and probably become an atheist I'm unsure. Thanks for all the help!
15.  Goodness, you have a lifetime to figure this out.  But you are on the right track.  Writing here, trying to explain what you think and feel will make your grammar better--and sharpen you thinking skills.  Reading the bible with a critical eye will do the same.  If you really want better English skills, then write--and read.  Read books that interest you--but read.  Explaining things to people makes it easier to express yourself and to come in touch with what you really think.  And consider this--if you want to sharpen a skill or acquire a new one, teach it to somebody else.  I promise you that will sharpen that skill quite quickly.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Marc

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 08, 2017, 11:45:50 AM
15.  Goodness, you have a lifetime to figure this out.  But you are on the right track.  Writing here, trying to explain what you think and feel will make your grammar better--and sharpen you thinking skills.  Reading the bible with a critical eye will do the same.  If you really want better English skills, then write--and read.  Read books that interest you--but read.  Explaining things to people makes it easier to express yourself and to come in touch with what you really think.  And consider this--if you want to sharpen a skill or acquire a new one, teach it to somebody else.  I promise you that will sharpen that skill quite quickly.
I know I'm young it's just I've known these lies just I wanted to keep my family happy since they are very religious. Yes, I love reading , hate writing and love learning. I could never tell them I'm an agnostic. I would get probably put up for adoption.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Marc on January 08, 2017, 11:04:44 AM

1. Holy shit. You're 15 and already figuring out that your religion is full of it? Well, I guess people your age are better able to think outside of the box, and more flexible for change. Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised.

2. Holy shit. They REQUIRE an offering? Of $20? That's outrageous. Almost as outrageous as Joel Osteen selling tickets for seats in his church.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Marc on January 08, 2017, 01:14:27 PM
I know I'm young it's just I've known these lies just I wanted to keep my family happy since they are very religious. Yes, I love reading , hate writing and love learning. I could never tell them I'm an agnostic. I would get probably put up for adoption.
Good for you for figuring some of this stuff out.  You must have something on the ball--that's an old person's way of saying--'Hey, you sound like a pretty terrific kid!'  I would not suggest you letting your family in on your concerns in this area.  Just work out your own personal slant on this and just be polite and mannerly with the folks--sounds like you already have a handle on that tho.  Another promise I can make is that if you can turn your dislike of writing it will serve you well all your life no matter what it is you do.  If you can write well in this day and age, you will be universally thought to be an intelligent person.  And that never is a bad thing.  I hated writing, but I kept at it until I became at least an average writer--and that held me in good stead all my life.  Oh, learn to type as well.  Good having you here.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Welcome Marc,

For me, my journey started when I started wondering if there was a god or not.  That started very early in my pre teens.  It seems like the most important question to the whole thing.  I really wanted to know.  I came from a very religious family, and I considered myself a Christian, because my family members were all Christians.  Of course, none of that training means there is a god.  It was easy to say, "There is a god," since I had that drilled into me, but that's not the same thing as there being a god.  In other words, I put my belief aside in my search for proof.  Belief is just belief.  It's not the same as knowing something, although many people think they are the same.  They are not.

While this was going on, there was always a strong undercurrent of suspicion on my part.  There was something about all the Bible stories, and my parents informing me of the nature of God that sounded just a wee bit fishy, like someone was making it up.  Yet in America one is surrounded by believers.  That should count for something, except that it doesn't prove anything about the existence of a god.  On the other hand, most of the entire world believes in a different god, and they believe that just as sincerely or insincerely, as all the people I knew that said they believed in the Christian god.

Now that leads to three possibilities.  Either Christians are right, and all those others are wrong.  Or all those others are right and Christians are wrong.  Or everyone is wrong.  It seems like there could be a fourth possibility that everyone is right, but since these beliefs are mutually exclusive, someone has to be wrong, so I excluded that early on.  So the problem always comes back to whether any god exists at all.

One thing that all gods have in common, however, is that there is no actual evidence for any of them, which kind of suggests that all of them are false.  People say there is evidence, the most compelling to me is that they have actually experienced god in some personal way, usually some feeling accompanied by a sort of ecstasy that tells them they have found a god.  However, as much as I recognize their epiphany, that doesn't prove god either.  People just get warm fuzzies now and then, myself included, but it can be written off as a self induced jolt of dopamine to the body.  While I realize others find this compelling, it doesn't prove anything to me.

I searched for such an experience for years, even had some temporary successes, but unfortunately, none of those successes proved anything either.  They were just biochemical reactions.  As I got older, I learned about logical fallacies.  They are published in list form all over the internet.  My first encounter was with Carl Sagan's "Baloney Detection Kit."  It's nothing special.  It's just another list of logical fallacies with a short description of each.  Look it up, and see how almost every logical fallacy can be a superficially compelling "proof" that there is a god.  The problem is that being fallacies, they don't prove anything.  They cancel out all logical attempts to justify a god.

In a way, I kind of wish there was a god, but there just isn't any credible evidence to be found.  You would think an all powerful being would be a Hell of a lot more straight forward about making himself known, especially if he wants everyone to believe in him.  But instead he seems to be spending all his energy on hiding, like he wants us to believe, but it has to be through some mystical process.  Tin foil hat technologies have proved to be ineffective at detecting god.  But it's the kind of process he seems to want to be known by.  I know God is beyond our comprehension and all, but a perfect being should be able to communicate perfectly, and do it without requiring weird mental gymnastics.

Baruch

Quote from: Marc on January 08, 2017, 01:14:27 PM

You aren't the only young person to visit, but most of us are 2x to 4x older.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Marc

Quote from: Baruch on January 08, 2017, 05:11:44 PM
You aren't the only young person to visit, but most of us are 2x to 4x older.
Thanks for the support, and wow I'm really the youngest then lol

Munch

You know Marc, its actually really cool your starting to questing stuff. That might seem an odd things considering everyone questions things, but when I was 15, I was more like someone who just took everyone on board without really questioning it, that because someone older then me has lived longer they must know more. Took me probably until I was like 21 to start to question stuff, why vote for this party when they don't have what I would like in mind, why buy this news paper when all they print his horseshit, why give money to a charity when they never seem to use it for what they claim.

I'm always happy when my nephews asks how things work, because their trying to figure it out, and best thing about the internet is I can show them examples of it, like when my nephew thought the earth was the center of the universe and the sun went around it, I showed him and he started to ask a load of stuff about it, which I was glad to show him.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Marc

Quote from: Munch on January 08, 2017, 07:46:40 PM
You know Marc, its actually really cool your starting to questing stuff. That might seem an odd things considering everyone questions things, but when I was 15, I was more like someone who just took everyone on board without really questioning it, that because someone older then me has lived longer they must know more. Took me probably until I was like 21 to start to question stuff, why vote for this party when they don't have what I would like in mind, why buy this news paper when all they print his horseshit, why give money to a charity when they never seem to use it for what they claim.

I'm always happy when my nephews asks how things work, because their trying to figure it out, and best thing about the internet is I can show them examples of it, like when my nephew thought the earth was the center of the universe and the sun went around it, I showed him and he started to ask a load of stuff about it, which I was glad to show him.
Yeah, it's just irritating I have to use my allowance for church. I gent $20.00 a week and it is to be used for church so you know. I have to wait for Christmas just to get something I want.

Mike Cl

Go to the bank and get 10 $2 bills.  Then learn to palm the $2 bill so that it looks like you gave 20. :))

Marc

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 08, 2017, 08:21:43 PM
Go to the bank and get 10 $2 bills.  Then learn to palm the $2 bill so that it looks like you gave 20. :))
lol alright. I'd probably get a beat from my mom and dad though :(