News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Inflation

Started by SGOS, January 05, 2017, 09:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

A Roman soldier got about $1.60 per day in silver money, and about an equal amount "in kind".  And periodically got a "bonus" from the Emperor ... that's where the term comes from ... unless he managed to get booty out of a war.  In the very early times, a Roman soldier got paid in salt ... which was tradable anywhere.  The Latin for salt is "salarum" or salary.  Basically people at the low end got only means of subsistence or less ... same as in a Third World city today for unskilled labor.  The better off got twice that.  Roman soldiering was skilled labor.  Low end GDP per capita today is ... Malawi in Africa = $342 (2014) per capita per year.  Of course typical family income is more or less, depending on size of family and how much the Elite is skimming.  Assuming a family size of 4, and a skimming of 50% ... the average family survives on about $684 per year.

I really cry for anyone not in abject poverty (not).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

reasonist

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 10, 2017, 03:04:06 PM
My first paid job was $1 an hour hoeing (yep--I was a ho) garlic--that was done with a chisel because the young shoots were very tender.  Stoop labor is fun.  I also picked strawberries for 25 cents a halack--6 boxes twice the size of those in the store.  Stoop labor is fun.  I also got $1.25 an hr in college as a dishwasher.  My first real job was the US Army--$85 bucks a month!!  And just for me!!!

Good for you Mike! I got 10 Schillings a month from the Army, which was about 50 cents in the 70s. That got you about a pack of smokes. And service was compulsory. Listening to the commies across the border to Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and Hungary and watching helplessly as mushroom pickers got shot because they got too close to the iron curtain. Not so fond memories...
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Gawdzilla Sama

I haven't have a raise in my VA benefits since '08. If we'd kept getting the 10% increases the VA check would have nearly doubled by now.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: reasonist on April 10, 2017, 09:24:24 PM
Good for you Mike! I got 10 Schillings a month from the Army, which was about 50 cents in the 70s. That got you about a pack of smokes. And service was compulsory. Listening to the commies across the border to Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and Hungary and watching helplessly as mushroom pickers got shot because they got too close to the iron curtain. Not so fond memories...
Wow, reasonist!  10 Schillings??!!  I got my $85 in the late 60's and thought that was a tad light. :))  I have both good and bad memories from the Army.  Serving in Hawaii was mostly good.  Gathering intel on an SDS lead parade was not so good.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

reasonist

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 10, 2017, 11:11:29 PM
Wow, reasonist!  10 Schillings??!!  I got my $85 in the late 60's and thought that was a tad light. :))  I have both good and bad memories from the Army.  Serving in Hawaii was mostly good.  Gathering intel on an SDS lead parade was not so good.

Hawaii would have been fine with me too! Instead we were sitting in freezing tents listening to the 'enemy'. And they knew we were listening; talking about recipes and soccer. The 'food' was a joke; I wouldn't feed my dog what they gave us. And no veteran affairs, nothing. No pension, not even the acknowledgement of sacrifice. Because in the old country military service is seen as citizen's duty. We all hated it and counted the months, weeks and days to discharge. You on the other hand volunteered? For 85 bucks and some gourmet cuisine? :-))
I remember my first job in the new country in the early 80s, made 25G a year and a townhouse in the suburbs of Toronto was 42G. A no brainer for sure. Today I would make around 70G in my profession and townhouses go for 400G and up. No comparison, we had a better opportunity than the coming generations.
Voltaire

SGOS

Quote from: reasonist on April 11, 2017, 10:35:07 AM
Hawaii would have been fine with me too! Instead we were sitting in freezing tents listening to the 'enemy'. And they knew we were listening; talking about recipes and soccer. The 'food' was a joke; I wouldn't feed my dog what they gave us. And no veteran affairs, nothing. No pension, not even the acknowledgement of sacrifice. Because in the old country military service is seen as citizen's duty. We all hated it and counted the months, weeks and days to discharge. You on the other hand volunteered? For 85 bucks and some gourmet cuisine? :-))
I remember my first job in the new country in the early 80s, made 25G a year and a townhouse in the suburbs of Toronto was 42G. A no brainer for sure. Today I would make around 70G in my profession and townhouses go for 400G and up. No comparison, we had a better opportunity than the coming generations.
From the world wars up until the end of Vietnam, we did have a draft in the US.  Everyone my age grew up knowing full well that we would be required to spend two years in the Army.  Some volunteered for the Navy or Air Force to avoid the infantry.  But you went.  Some avoided the draft for medical reasons, some for special jobs that made them exempt, like working in the defense industry.  I eventually got my notice to register for the draft.  I actually attempted to volunteer for the army, thinking I might get a better job, which of course was nothing more than an idiotic daydream, but during the recruitment interview, I informed the recruiting officer that I had a knee operation the previous year.  He dramatically threw down his pen on his desk, and said he was tired of knee operations, but he would do me a "special favor" and get me in the army anyway.  That was when it first occurred to me that my knee operation could be my ticket out of the army and sure duty in Vietnam.

I was requesting duty in the Combat Engineers, because I mistakenly thought it wouldn't involve killing people or getting killed.  I can't believe I was that dumb.  So when I was later called to report for my physical, I went to Spokane, Washington where I spent a day standing around in my underwear with a bunch of other guys as we got pushed, prodded, and humiliated by a bunch of assholes in uniform.  One sergeant came into the group and said anyone having any objections could put on some boxing gloves and he'd teach them a lesson.  No one took him as anything other than a blowhard, and we just ignored him.

To keep this short, it turned out that my knee operation did keep me out of the army.  I was told I would be recalled a year later to retake the physical, so when my second notice came there was a section in the form that told me to attach a doctor's statement if I had any thing wrong that might disqualify me from the draft.  I went to my doctor and asked for a statement, but all he wrote was that I indeed did have a knee operation, but nothing more than that.  I don't know, maybe that was the best the doctor could do for me because we would see each other on the ski hill every Saturday and Sunday, and it was kind of obvious I wasn't having any problems with my knee.  But I wrote in the place where I could comment, and described everything that was wrong with my knee.  I didn't lie, but I listed everything I could think of, and I have to admit it sounded worse than it was.

So I missed Vietnam when it was in full swing, and by that time, I really had lost interest in "defending my country" from the domino effect of a communist takeover.  I knew guys that came home in body bags, or maybe even worse, some that came home as mental vegetables.  Some guys weathered it and seemed OK.  Others were seriously messed up.  Something was happening over there that was most definitely not good for people.

Mike Cl

Quote from: reasonist on April 11, 2017, 10:35:07 AM
I was drafted.  Graduated from college--two weeks later Uncle Sam tapped me on the shoulder.  I had signed up for another semester (5th yr for my teaching credential) so the draft board gave me a semester--the off to war.  So I checked around trying to find something that would keep me out of the shooting war (Nam).  Settled on Mil. Intel.--so technically, I did 'volunteer'.  Your duty sounds like a real fubar situation;  it was the shits for the whole time!  I did manage to stay out of Nam--I was very lucky.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

reasonist

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 11, 2017, 12:00:40 PM
I was drafted.  Graduated from college--two weeks later Uncle Sam tapped me on the shoulder.  I had signed up for another semester (5th yr for my teaching credential) so the draft board gave me a semester--the off to war.  So I checked around trying to find something that would keep me out of the shooting war (Nam).  Settled on Mil. Intel.--so technically, I did 'volunteer'.  Your duty sounds like a real fubar situation;  it was the shits for the whole time!  I did manage to stay out of Nam--I was very lucky.

SGOS and Mike, you were indeed lucky to avoid Vietnam! 60,000 Americans were killed but the result wasn't worth a single life.
When I was drafted, we had for the first time the option to refuse on moral grounds and do some civil service instead. Two of my buddies did just that and were transferred to a morgue to wash corpses for a year. That message spread fast and after that, the optional civil service died down quickly. Today it's only 8 months of service required in the military (in Austria) and apparently the food and equipment improved somewhat since then. Although I was honorably discharged as a corporal, I was told by the Colonel that I was the most 'unmilitaristic' man he has encountered in his career. I took that as a compliment -))
The way things are going with your Mango Mussolini, it wouldn't be a surprise if the draft comes back and another major war is around the corner. By now we are too old to be drafted but if it's a nuclear war it won't make a difference anyhow.
Voltaire

Baruch

Yes, Mango Mussolini isn't better than Milk Chocolate Mussolini or Silver Spoon Mussolini ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

reasonist

Quote from: Baruch on April 11, 2017, 01:26:36 PM
Yes, Mango Mussolini isn't better than Milk Chocolate Mussolini or Silver Spoon Mussolini ;-)

LOL, who is Silver Spoon Mussolini?
Voltaire

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on April 11, 2017, 01:31:11 PM
LOL, who is Silver Spoon Mussolini?

George W never worked an honest day in his drunken life.  Bill Clinton might be a sexual predator, but at least he worked his way thru college.  Not so much after entering politics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

Quote from: SGOS on January 05, 2017, 09:53:35 AM
Salary increased 6 times.
Inflation increased 7 times.
This is all by design. The powers that be need the populace dumb, poor, and unfree.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

fencerider

my first job in 1993 min wage was $4.25/hr and 2bed appartment was $650/month. Now CA min wage is $10.50/hr and its $900-$1,100/month for a 1 bed appartment in Los Angeles County. Not much has changed for people at the bottom...

The people at the top is a different matter. Wall st trash are up to $17,000-$25,000/hr

My dad avoided Vietnam by signing up in the Coast Guard.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

I stayed ahead of inflation in my career.  Went from $8,000 to $100,000 in 30 years.  And got out with a full inflation-adjusted annuity the first day I was eligible.  LOL!  I gain every month even retired.

I pointed out to the equal co-workers that every day they worked beyond the first eligible retirement day that they were basically working for half their salary.  They didn't understand that and they were Analysts!  Sad...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

viocjit

My first pay was 113.11 Euros for some missions done in February 2014 as a mystery shopper in banks.
What is a mystery shopper ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_shopping

The paycheck is dated from March , 1st , 2014.

113.11 EUR from this date is equivalent to the next value.
115.02 EUR in April , 13th , 2017 from data contain in FRCPI1998 index (France from 31 January 1901)
115.51 EUR in April , 13th , 2017 from data contain in EUCPI2005 index (European Union from 31 January 1990)

Link with data from FRCPI1998 index : http://fxtop.com/en/inflation-calculator.php?A=113.11&C1=EUR&INDICE=FRCPI1998&DD1=01&MM1=03&YYYY1=2014&DD2=13&MM2=04&YYYY2=2017&btnOK=Compute+actual+value

Link with data from EUCPI2005 index : http://fxtop.com/en/inflation-calculator.php?A=113.11&C1=EUR&INDICE=EUCPI2005&DD1=01&MM1=03&YYYY1=2014&DD2=13&MM2=04&YYYY2=2017&btnOK=Compute+actual+value

You can use www.xe.com or https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ to convert values given in your currency.