News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Inflation

Started by SGOS, January 05, 2017, 09:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

What's funny is that inflation isn't a natural condition.  We've just lived in an unnatural state for so long that we've begun to think of it as if it were natural.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on April 15, 2017, 01:39:29 PM
What's funny is that inflation isn't a natural condition.  We've just lived in an unnatural state for so long that we've begun to think of it as if it were natural.

It is a statistical average ... just like the fact that people on average are taller now (presumably due to better nutrition) ... than people 100 years ago.  Trying to determine cause/effect from averages ... is stretching credulity, but then economics is for suckers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

Not really.  Prices are determined by four variables; quantity of goods and services, demand for goods and services, quantity of currency, demand for currency.  When you get fiat currency, which historically is an aberration and not the norm, those controlling the currency get to radically change "quantity of currency" far more than market conditions would naturally allow.

As such the result is that inflation as we know it has a symptomatic definition of "rising prices" but a causal definition of "increase in money supply."  Given that "increase in money supply" is historically not the norm but is the norm the last century, we have gotten to the point where we think of an unusual condition as normal.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Sorginak

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on April 16, 2017, 01:10:40 PM
Not really.  Prices are determined by four variables; quantity of goods and services, demand for goods and services, quantity of currency, demand for currency.  When you get fiat currency, which historically is an aberration and not the norm, those controlling the currency get to radically change "quantity of currency" far more than market conditions would naturally allow.

As such the result is that inflation as we know it has a symptomatic definition of "rising prices" but a causal definition of "increase in money supply."  Given that "increase in money supply" is historically not the norm but is the norm the last century, we have gotten to the point where we think of an unusual condition as normal.

Wrong .. there is no free market, particularly these days.  Prices are determined by government intervention, in collusion with international corporations and foreign powers.  See Libor scandal.  Please keep your nose in 18th century Adam Smith fantasy.  Fiat currency (particularly since 1971) and kabuki finance (particularly since 2001) make it easier for white collar criminals (in the name of national security) to destroy their countries.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on April 16, 2017, 01:38:51 PM
http://www.citylab.com/housing/2015/05/mapping-the-hourly-wage-needed-to-rent-a-2-bedroom-apartment-in-every-us-state/394142/

Not a problem for the very wealthy ... therefore not a problem for anyone in charge of society (see elitism).  The first map: get the hell out of the W coast, and the NE coast of the US.  The second map: the US is toast for most working people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Ananta Shesha

Odd that it's called inflation when the value of a single dollar is contracting.

Smells like perception management.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Baruch on April 16, 2017, 02:12:51 PMWrong .. there is no free market, particularly these days.

I think that when I wrote that our current system is a historic aberration allowing manipulation beyond what the free market would enact, I'm also saying that we aren't in that free market situation.

Baruch

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 16, 2017, 03:26:19 PM
Odd that it's called inflation when the value of a single dollar is contracting.

Smells like perception management.

Contracting to its true value, as the full faith and credit of the US, which is zero ;-(  Perception management is to manage this contraction, not to prevent its inevitability.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on April 16, 2017, 07:38:39 PM
I think that when I wrote that our current system is a historic aberration allowing manipulation beyond what the free market would enact, I'm also saying that we aren't in that free market situation.

OK ... we haven't been in a constitutional situation for a very long time.  Originally the government wouldn't make any paper money (it was all private bank notes), would coin silver and gold on demand (when owners brought it in for that purpose) ... but would coin coppers like the half cent and the cent.  That ended with the US Civil War .. we have been under a state of Federal emergency and tyranny since then.  From 1861 until 1914 .. the Bank of England and the British Empire unceasingly drew the US into its tender embrace ... and we have been an undeclared member of the British Commonwealth since 1914.  We are as free as the Queen allows us to be.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on April 15, 2017, 01:39:29 PM

Inflation is caused by competing merchants valuing their their wares more valuable over time and the suckers who buy the wares not seeing the gradual increases.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Hell, I thought this thread was going to be about Alan Guth's old theory...I guess that's what I get for thinking when I'm not used to it!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Ananta Shesha

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 18, 2017, 05:12:16 PM
Hell, I thought this thread was going to be about Alan Guth's old theory...I guess that's what I get for thinking when I'm not used to it!
Just take it slow…you got this!

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 18, 2017, 05:12:16 PM

Cosmic inflation is pretty well proven ... provided you extrapolate before the 3.5K radiation ;-)  But I don't have a PhD ... and can't pull unicorns out of my ass.  Cosmology is almost as dismal a science as economics.  Both are based on fraud ... grant fraud in one case, financial fraud in the other.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Sorry - didn't mean to derail the thread...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman