Bill Nye on Trump's EPA/Energy Candidates

Started by Shiranu, December 31, 2016, 06:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

It's crazy that renewable energy is not some pipe dream but one we have access to right now... and yet we remain the one civilized country that isn't even sure climate change is real yet.

Here is some of the opposition...

What is it that makes America's culture so... "special"? I want to say education but... there are plenty of uneducated countries that are smarter than us. It's like we take pride in being as stupid as we possibly can.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Climate "realist"??  Is that like "race realist"?

Cavebear

"Uneducated countries that are smarter than us"?  That makes no sense.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on January 01, 2017, 01:49:18 AM
"Uneducated countries that are smarter than us"?  That makes no sense.

How so? You can be the most educated man in the world and still be an idiot.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on January 01, 2017, 02:43:20 AM
How so? You can be the most educated man in the world and still be an idiot.

True, but it is easier to be educated and smart than uneducated and smart.  Education opens up ways of thinking.  I do grant that there are some educated idiots...

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on January 01, 2017, 03:53:41 AM
True, but it is easier to be educated and smart than uneducated and smart.  Education opens up ways of thinking.  I do grant that there are some educated idiots...

Apparently more than "some" when you look at America's culture. We are about as backwards as places like Turkey (sorry Drunken :P)... some East European countries still recovering from Sovietism... places like that than the rest of the educated West.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on January 01, 2017, 06:11:23 AM
Apparently more than "some" when you look at America's culture. We are about as backwards as places like Turkey (sorry Drunken :P)... some East European countries still recovering from Sovietism... places like that than the rest of the educated West.

Well, I can't agree with that.  The average person in most 3rd world countries think the Earth is flat.  Only some religious people here do.

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on January 01, 2017, 06:44:10 AM
Well, I can't agree with that.  The average person in most 3rd world countries think the Earth is flat.  Only some religious people here do.

Evidence please... because I am finding nothing that agrees with that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on January 01, 2017, 06:53:58 AM
Evidence please... because I am finding nothing that agrees with that.

Do you mean the 3rd world citizens or the 1st world religionists?  I need to know which evidence to provide.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 01, 2017, 06:56:04 AM
Do you mean the 3rd world citizens or the 1st world religionists?  I need to know which evidence to provide.

Government supplied ideology in 3rd world countries is less sophisticated than the government supplied ideology in 1st world countries.  Ignoring theocracies like Iran for the moment.  This is on an industrial scale since Edward Bernays, the nephew of Sigmund Freud, invented modern propaganda.  Of course in every country, there are people who span the spectrum from mentally retarded to PhD.  But most such people, in every country, believe patriotic propaganda.  I believe American propaganda, even though I now know it is false (it is propaganda, not truth).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on January 01, 2017, 06:56:04 AM

Third world.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on January 01, 2017, 04:13:51 PM
Third world.

Looking up 3rd world nation beliefs in a flat Earth is not getting me much information.  However, I will suggest logically that any cultures without modern astronomy probably don't have a round Earth idea,  Their apparent real-world universe is a flat world, the only one, and uncertain ideas of what stars are. 

The problem there is not that that there is an argument about whether the Earth is flat or spherical, but whether it is everything or not.