News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Driverless cars and morality

Started by Hydra009, December 30, 2016, 04:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 27, 2018, 08:14:04 PM
Ah, but why do you have to drive defensively?  Mass adoption of autonomous cars not only protects others from you, it protects you from others.

Ever see the cops in a high-speed chase through multiple intersections?  Decades from now, that's going to look insanely dangerous and more than a little silly.

Particularly when Emperor Palpatine can just shut off your ignition from your Facebook page.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: trdsf on March 27, 2018, 07:39:50 PM
I would say that if you're in a vehicle running on autopilot while you're incapacitated, that can't be a DUI because you're not actually driving.  I mean, you're essentially a passenger, and letting the computer run the car is vastly more responsible than trying to pilot it yourself while three sheets to the wind, yes?

that's my plan....hehe....Ha-Ha  LOLOL  LOLOL    LOLOOLLOL.....HAHAHAHAHA........er......never mind
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 27, 2018, 08:14:04 PM
Ah, but why do you have to drive defensively?  Mass adoption of autonomous cars not only protects others from you, it protects you from others.

Ever see the cops in a high-speed chase through multiple intersections?  Decades from now, that's going to look insanely dangerous and more than a little silly.

I am understanding that driverless cars given a starting and ending point could be good.  Overall I have control concerns, but I would be willing to try one out.  Like from home to the grocery store.  But could it get out of my garage without scraping the sides?  Is there a point where I turn it on and relinquish control.  Can I take over control in weird situations?  I do get into some.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 29, 2018, 11:14:28 PM
I am understanding that driverless cars given a starting and ending point could be good.  Overall I have control concerns, but I would be willing to try one out.  Like from home to the grocery store.  Vut coyld it get out of my garage without scraping the sides?  Is there a point where I turn it on and relinchiuch control.  Can I take over control in weird situations?  I do get into some.

Tesla Autopilot is like that ... you can choose to control or not.  Like advanced cruise control.  Unfortunately the people in the recent Tesla crash made a poor choice of when to relinquish control.

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autopilot-self-driving-crash-california/
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on March 29, 2018, 09:42:45 PM
that's my plan....hehe....Ha-Ha  LOLOL  LOLOL    LOLOOLLOL.....HAHAHAHAHA........er......never mind

I could never be charged with DUI?  Not that I have ever been or should have been, but when I get old and stupid, I can't?

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!