america's mental health emergency

Started by Jannabear, December 30, 2016, 04:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jannabear

America's healthcare system fails to provide mental healthcare to a large portion of the population
The quality of the healthcare is also very poor in many parts of the country, the hospitals get overflooded alot of the time
I know what it's like to be in one, I've been in 3, 7 different times.
Here are some stats from anad.org

At least 30 million people of all ages and genders suffer from an eating disorder in the U.S. 1, 2
Every 62 minutes at least one person dies as a direct result from an eating disorder.3
Eating disorders have the highest morality rate of any mental illness.4
13% of women over 50 engage in eating disorder behaviors.5
In a large national study of college students, 3.5% sexual minority women and 2.1% of sexual minority men reported having an eating disorder.6
16% of transgender college students reported having an eating disorder.6
In a study following active duty military personnel over time, 5.5% of women and 4% of men had an eating disorder at the beginning of the study, and within just a few years of continued service, 3.3% more women and 2.6% more men developed an eating disorder.7
Eating disorders affect all races and ethnic groups.8
Genetics, environmental factors, and personality traits all combine to create risk for an eating disorder.9

0.9% of American women suffer from anorexia in their lifetime.1
1 in 5 anorexia deaths is by suicide.10
Standardized Mortality Ratio (SMR) is a ratio between the observed number of deaths in an study population and the number of deaths would be expected. SMR for Anorexia Nervosa is 5.86.10
50-80% of the risk for anorexia and bulimia is genetic.11
33-50% of anorexia patients have a comorbid mood disorder, such as depression. Mood disorders are more common in the binge/purge subtype than in the restrictive subtype.12
About half of anorexia patients have comorbid anxiety disorders, including obsessive-compulsive disorder and social phobia.12

1.5% of American women suffer from bulimia nervosa in their lifetime.1
SMR for Bulimia Nervosa is 1.93.10
Nearly half of bulimia patients have a comorbid mood disorder.12
More than half of bulimia patients have comorbid anxiety disorders.12
Nearly 1 in 10 bulimia patients have a comorbid substance abuse disorder, usually alcohol use. 12

there are some other stats if you want to see them http://www.anad.org/get-information/about-eating-disorders/eating-disorders-statistics/

There is also a significant tendency towards suicide and depression among men in comparison to women
Men die by suicide 3.5x more often than women.
https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

The Usa has some of the highest rates of depression and eating disorders in the first world, schools unable to help students with severe mental disorders due to a lack of counselors, and a failing healthcare system.

Baruch

Yes, but unhealthiness is very profitable, and the backbone of legal drug pushers from Colonial times.  If Americans didn't have addictions, they wouldn't have anything to do at all.  Politics is the ultimate addiction though.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I remember hearing that some disorders were never diagnosed until a pill for them became available.  You have got to wonder what's going on in that situation.  It sounds like there is no problem until the cure is invented.  There probably was a problem, but I'm thinking there might be some over diagnosing going on.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 30, 2016, 03:35:44 PM
I remember hearing that some disorders were never diagnosed until a pill for them became available.  You have got to wonder what's going on in that situation.  It sounds like there is no problem until the cure is invented.  There probably was a problem, but I'm thinking there might be some over diagnosing going on.

For profit medicine, is inherently untrustworthy, but there seems no other way to fund it.  But in time, prices skyrocket until only the wealthy get health care anyway ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jannabear

Quote from: SGOS on December 30, 2016, 03:35:44 PM
the only time this really happens is with adhd it seems like.

Cavebear

Quote from: Jannabear on December 30, 2016, 04:56:30 AM
America's healthcare system fails to provide mental healthcare to a large portion of the population
The quality of the healthcare is also very poor in many parts of the country, the hospitals get overflooded alot of the time
I know what it's like to be in one, I've been in 3, 7 different times.
Here are some stats from anad.org

At least 30 million people of all ages and genders suffer from an eating disorder in the U.S. 1, 2
Every 62 minutes at least one person dies as a direct result from an eating disorder.3
Eating disorders have the highest morality rate of any mental illness.4
13% of women over 50 engage in eating disorder behaviors.5
In a large national study of college students, 3.5% sexual minority women and 2.1% of sexual minority men reported having an eating disorder.6
16% of transgender college students reported having an eating disorder.6
In a study following active duty military personnel over time, 5.5% of women and 4% of men had an eating disorder at the beginning of the study, and within just a few years of continued service, 3.3% more women and 2.6% more men developed an eating disorder.7
Eating disorders affect all races and ethnic groups.8
Genetics, environmental factors, and personality traits all combine to create risk for an eating disorder.9

0.9% of American women suffer from anorexia in their lifetime.1
1 in 5 anorexia deaths is by suicide.10
Standardized Mortality Ratio (SMR) is a ratio between the observed number of deaths in an study population and the number of deaths would be expected. SMR for Anorexia Nervosa is 5.86.10
50-80% of the risk for anorexia and bulimia is genetic.11
33-50% of anorexia patients have a comorbid mood disorder, such as depression. Mood disorders are more common in the binge/purge subtype than in the restrictive subtype.12
About half of anorexia patients have comorbid anxiety disorders, including obsessive-compulsive disorder and social phobia.12

1.5% of American women suffer from bulimia nervosa in their lifetime.1
SMR for Bulimia Nervosa is 1.93.10
Nearly half of bulimia patients have a comorbid mood disorder.12
More than half of bulimia patients have comorbid anxiety disorders.12
Nearly 1 in 10 bulimia patients have a comorbid substance abuse disorder, usually alcohol use. 12

there are some other stats if you want to see them http://www.anad.org/get-information/about-eating-disorders/eating-disorders-statistics/

There is also a significant tendency towards suicide and depression among men in comparison to women
Men die by suicide 3.5x more often than women.
https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

The Usa has some of the highest rates of depression and eating disorders in the first world, schools unable to help students with severe mental disorders due to a lack of counselors, and a failing healthcare system.

110% of all people have problems...  Mentally, physically, or exagertebally.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Hypochondria-R-Us ... but not minimizing actual human suffering.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason78

I'd be more worried about the number of depressed people in the US that also own a gun. 
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on January 01, 2017, 02:06:11 PM
I'd be more worried about the number of depressed people in the US that also own a gun.

We are very dangerous behind the wheel of a car as well.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 01, 2017, 03:43:43 PM
We are very dangerous behind the wheel of a car as well.

I'll suggest that the same people who own guns for aggressive self-protection are probably the same ones most dangerous driving a car...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!