News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Best description of eternity ever ....

Started by Baruch, December 29, 2016, 09:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 02, 2017, 06:54:05 AM
You are grumpy today.  Hope things get better for you.

How could things get better?  I planted my tomato and pepper seeds today.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on March 02, 2017, 08:40:44 AM
Baruch and CB, seeing your conversations reminds me of something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P84NiVGJsw

I saw deep meaning there.

Well, I'm aware of the Honeymooners, and the satire recently in the video.  But what pointdoes it make?

badger2

#21: Haegglund shows us why Wu Yun was partaking in immortality with his "seamless chromosphere":

' If something survives it is never present in itself; it is already marked by the destruction of a past that is no longer while remaining for a future that is not yet.....The survival of a mortal being is thus quite different from the immortality of an eternal being. If a mortal being "partakes of immortality" through the movement of survival it is only by temporalizing the notion of immortality. This is why the supposed "passion for immortality" turns out to be a passion for survival.....The desire for survival, then, should not be understood exclusively or primarily in terms of biological drive for self-preservation but includes all "spiritual" commitments to living on in time. It is because one is invested in the survival of temporal life that one seeks to save anything from death, since only temporal life can be threatened by death. Tet the state of immortality cannot answer to the survival that is desired. Rather than allowing a temporal being to live on, it would put an end to the time of life in favor of a state of eternity where nothing comes into being or passes away. Being in a state of eternity would therefore require that one renounce all care and become completely indifferent to the fate of survival. That is why it is consistent to emphasize (as many religious sages do) that detachment is the ultimate condition for attaining the state of eternity.'
(Haegglund, Dying for Time: Proust, Woolf, Nabokov)

Cavebear

Quote from: badger2 on March 02, 2017, 11:14:13 AM
#21: Haegglund shows us why Wu Yun was partaking in immortality with his "seamless chromosphere":

' If something survives it is never present in itself; it is already marked by the destruction of a past that is no longer while remaining for a future that is not yet.....The survival of a mortal being is thus quite different from the immortality of an eternal being. If a mortal being "partakes of immortality" through the movement of survival it is only by temporalizing the notion of immortality. This is why the supposed "passion for immortality" turns out to be a passion for survival.....The desire for survival, then, should not be understood exclusively or primarily in terms of biological drive for self-preservation but includes all "spiritual" commitments to living on in time. It is because one is invested in the survival of temporal life that one seeks to save anything from death, since only temporal life can be threatened by death. Tet the state of immortality cannot answer to the survival that is desired. Rather than allowing a temporal being to live on, it would put an end to the time of life in favor of a state of eternity where nothing comes into being or passes away. Being in a state of eternity would therefore require that one renounce all care and become completely indifferent to the fate of survival. That is why it is consistent to emphasize (as many religious sages do) that detachment is the ultimate condition for attaining the state of eternity.'
(Haegglund, Dying for Time: Proust, Woolf, Nabokov)

OK, that is close to being the least comprehensible post I've ever read.  Can it get a sort of negative award?

Baruch

Badger2 is unique.  So special only I understand him, I think ;-)  And no, we don't have negative likes.  You can counterpost and bitch about things, we all do.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I'm glad someone claims to understand Badger.  The post reminds me of some emails I get trying to sell me shares in Chinese businesses that go straight to my spam folder....