Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely

Started by Yadayadayada, December 28, 2016, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 07, 2017, 08:03:20 PM
You are correct (write even)--I've asked that question of each and every author of the books of the bible (even if we don't know who wrote them) and of the Joel Osteens of this world.

I can cross-examine you (very appropriate with Christianity) and you can cross-examine Olsteen (if he will respond).  The authors of ancient books, not so much.  Not worth the papyrus they are scribbled on .. unless you just like old books, which I do.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2017, 06:45:06 PM
Fiction doesn't come from nowhere, it comes from people's imaginations, their mind.  Ask authors why they write what they do ... ask yourself that question ;-)

It is still fiction...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2017, 06:45:06 PM
Fiction doesn't come from nowhere, it comes from people's imaginations

Dumbledorf "When we dream we enter a world that is all our own"...
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on February 11, 2017, 12:06:18 PM
Dumbledorf "When we dream we enter a world that is all our own"...

Consciousness is daydreaming, but with more pragmatics than night-dreaming.  Dreaming is all we have.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 08:54:50 AM
Don't dismiss your mind ... or are you Christian? ;-)
No he's a cave bear. Can't you read user names?

Equal opportunity butt-stabber.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

fencerider

"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 11, 2017, 02:30:04 PM
No he's a cave bear. Can't you read user names?

Equal opportunity butt-stabber.

Yes, and Cave Bears are very atheistic... 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Yadayadayada on December 28, 2016, 05:13:54 PM
It seems that the evidence supports the concept of God, rather than the atheistic claim that "God probably doesn't exist".

You claim magic happens?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 15, 2017, 08:47:45 AM
You claim magic happens?

They do, relentlessly and without evidence.  Nothing seems to stop them. 

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 17, 2017, 02:27:47 AM
They do, relentlessly and without evidence.  Nothing seems to stop them.
Nor their deliberate miscasting of the general atheist position.  It's not "god probably doesn't exist".  It's "there's no evidence to support belief in the existence of a divine figure of any sort".
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Well, they can't argue in support of their position, so they have to mischaracterize the position of atheists in order to fool themselves and/or their flocks.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 17, 2017, 05:00:53 PM
Nor their deliberate miscasting of the general atheist position.  It's not "god probably doesn't exist".  It's "there's no evidence to support belief in the existence of a divine figure of any sort".

Yes, the proper demand is that theists should prove their claim, not others to disprove it.  This logical fallacy is routine among people who don't understand logical thinking.

Jason78

Quote from: Baruch on December 31, 2016, 02:03:52 PM
Popular quantum mechanics understanding ... "sea of possibilities" would say that not only is anything possible, but that everything, including the Christian god, is actual, at least to some small percentage of the average reality.

Assuming something like a god is actually a finite possibility.  (Which it isn't, in much the same way you can't have a triangle with one side longer than the sum of the other two.)
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on February 19, 2017, 08:39:47 AM
Assuming something like a god is actually a finite possibility.  (Which it isn't, in much the same way you can't have a triangle with one side longer than the sum of the other two.)

Expand your mind to include non-Euclidean geometry.  Where triangles can have less than or more than a sum of 180 degrees.  Similarly with topology, where distance is strictly optional.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.