Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely

Started by Yadayadayada, December 28, 2016, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Meh... proxies to get through to the forums is not hard... particularly if you don't care if it shows up that you are using one.

There are much easier ways to get around without being detected. Proxies show less dedication to me and more just stupidity.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on December 30, 2016, 06:54:49 AM
Meh... proxies to get through to the forums is not hard... particularly if you don't care if it shows up that you are using one.

There are much easier ways to get around without being detected. Proxies show less dedication to me and more just stupidity.

Hmmm, you seem to know a lot about this stuff..
I knew it, you actually are pr126 as well! You've been fooling us for a long time now, but the jig is up buddy.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shiranu

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 30, 2016, 08:32:12 AM
Hmmm, you seem to know a lot about this stuff..
I knew it, you actually are pr126 as well! You've been fooling us for a long time now, but the jig is up buddy.

Oh sweet child, if only you knew...

Pickled eggs? Me. Aitm? Moi. Drunken, Janna, Baruch, Mike, Johan? All me.

All of this is to trap young and impressionable atheists here, and then convert them to the one true faith (Shiranuiism) as their "friends" all convert! Burhahahaha....

(It's six in the morning, I'm trying my hardest...)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on December 30, 2016, 08:38:12 AM
Oh sweet child, if only you knew...

Pickled eggs? Me. Aitm? Moi. Drunken, Janna, Baruch, Mike, Johan? All me.

All of this is to trap young and impressionable atheists here, and then convert them to the one true faith (Shiranuiism) as their "friends" all convert! Burhahahaha....

(It's six in the morning, I'm trying my hardest...)

Good ... I will send all my bills to your address ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on December 29, 2016, 07:48:08 PM
Shrimp eyesight might be good, but it didn't save the shrimp who ended up on my dinner plate tonight.  Maybe they were Democrat shrimp ;-)

Mantis shrimp are smart, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uTdTRXNdEY
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

I have seen film of an octopus opening the cork on a bottle, to get inside, where a shrimp is screaming ... oh no!  And without a backbone, he can easily slide thru the neck of the bottle.  Invertebrates aren't created equal.  Cephalopods rule!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Urm, this goes without saying, but you know that mantis shrimp video is fake right? He threw a cube at the shrimp, which likely saw it as a threat, cuts way to its face, the back to a solved cube, put in later, and the punches it away in defense
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on December 31, 2016, 05:43:47 AM
Urm, this goes without saying, but you know that mantis shrimp video is fake right? He threw a cube at the shrimp, which likely saw it as a threat, cuts way to its face, the back to a solved cube, put in later, and the punches it away in defense

The only news is fake news ... this is not a new thing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllRight

Just because I don't fully understand something (for example the origin of life and how we all got here) does not mean I can automatically attribute it to an intelligent being who is so narcissistic as to destroy those who do not worship it.

Baruch

Quote from: AllRight on December 31, 2016, 09:34:25 AM
Just because I don't fully understand something (for example the origin of life and how we all got here) does not mean I can automatically attribute it to an intelligent being who is so narcissistic as to destroy those who do not worship it.

I agree.  Lack of understanding, is a universal part of the human condition.  We would be unable to do anything useful ... if actual understanding was required.  So this a straw man, but maybe not the one you think it is ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: AllRight on December 31, 2016, 09:34:25 AM

It seems to me that many theists have a hard time with lack of understanding as if it's a flaw.  Sometimes it can be, and we should try to recognize it for what it is.  We can then either try to correct it, or we can accept it as an inevitable condition of our bounds of knowledge.  Many theists seem like they can't accept it and then construct ultimate truths with which they shield themselves from the anxiety of unavoidable gaps in human understanding (hence we end up with a God of the gaps).  Everything is then in order for them.  There are no more gaps, and even if they don't fully understand, they can comfort themselves with a belief that higher power understands such things in their behalf.

Yeah, I'd love to know how life started.  Sure, I can conjecture with some scenarios that seem plausible, but ultimately, I can offer nothing to write in a peer reviewed article in some journal.  I'd also like to know what happened before the universe came into existence, although I'm told there was no "before" the universe.  That one does actually bother me.  From my limited experience, I just can't fully grasp no "before".

But lets say for the sake of argument that the theoretical physicists are wrong about there not being a "before", and there was something before.  What would that be?  Just more of the same, or maybe something beyond our current imagination?  The possibilities would be phenomenally unlimited. Why must it be a god?  And the real kicker is why the Christian god for that matter?  The Christian god would be only one explanation out of a sea of possibilities.  I suppose a god would be nice.  Most of us are taught that from birth, so it's an easy explanation to latch onto.  Easy, sure, but not logical.  God becomes a necessary explanation for no other reason than we have closed ourselves off from all other possibilities.

Baruch

Popular quantum mechanics understanding ... "sea of possibilities" would say that not only is anything possible, but that everything, including the Christian god, is actual, at least to some small percentage of the average reality.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 31, 2016, 02:03:52 PM
Popular quantum mechanics understanding ... "sea of possibilities" would say that not only is anything possible, but that everything, including the Christian god, is actual, at least to some small percentage of the average reality.

If infinity says that there could be a Christian deity, then it is just as likely that there are no deities of any sort.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Quote from: Munch on December 31, 2016, 05:43:47 AM

Sure, just like any good magic trick!

This is fake too, but it's still fun to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SncapPrTusA
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on December 31, 2016, 02:03:52 PM

Yeah, it may be the case that anything that's at all possible is mandatory, somewhere in existence.

One implication of this would be that there's no such thing as fiction, since whatever story is told is actual in some portion of the multiverse.

I don't know whether any part of existence could support what would be, in our universe, magic or the supernatural, like LOTR, etc., but I'm sure glad ours' doesn't - it would be too scary and unpredictable.
God Not Found