Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely

Started by Yadayadayada, December 28, 2016, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2017, 08:52:27 AM
Expand your mind to include non-Euclidean geometry.
So now we're up to spherical geometry and maybe orbital mechanics. Little bit more math involved, but no closer to
Quote from: trdsf on February 17, 2017, 05:00:53 PM
evidence to support belief in the existence of a divine figure
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Sorginak

The thing about fiction is that it is easily distinguishable from reality, at least to those who think critically and use reason.

Religion is fiction in the sense that it does not represent reality; rather, it represents the fantasy and the all too common impetuousness of needing a readily available answer to the question of life no matter how absurd, unrealistic, and fantastical the answer is.

God is not an answer so much as he is a spoiled child's unwillingness for learning.

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on December 31, 2016, 02:03:52 PM
Popular quantum mechanics understanding ... "sea of possibilities" would say that not only is anything possible, but that everything, including the Christian god, is actual, at least to some small percentage of the average reality.

Not having the education of your level, I might agree that given infinity, a "sea of possibilities" presents that anything indeed is possible, perhaps even a "god". But if the argument is that outside of the sea of possibilities exist a thing whose existence denies all probability that makes things to such an extant that all possibilities are probable... is perhaps...a stretch.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 19, 2017, 04:09:57 PM
The thing about fiction is that it is easily distinguishable from reality, at least to those who think critically and use reason.

Religion is fiction in the sense that it does not represent reality; rather, it represents the fantasy and the all too common impetuousness of needing a readily available answer to the question of life no matter how absurd, unrealistic, and fantastical the answer is.

God is not an answer so much as he is a spoiled child's unwillingness for learning.

You and I don't exist, we are both fictions ... dramatic characters made up ad-hoc.  All life is a stage ...

But I agree, some fiction is childish ... Teletubbies anyone?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on February 19, 2017, 03:47:01 PM
So now we're up to spherical geometry and maybe orbital mechanics. Little bit more math involved, but no closer to

Not my point ... just poking holes in a bad metaphor.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason78 on February 19, 2017, 08:39:47 AM
Assuming something like a god is actually a finite possibility.  (Which it isn't, in much the same way you can't have a triangle with one side longer than the sum of the other two.)

A finite possibility exists for all ideas.  There is a finite possibility there are unicorns in my backyard as I type this.  But finite does not mean anything approaches "likely" or even "plausible".  I can safely state that there are not unicorns in my backyard without much concern.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

fencerider

Quote from: fencerider on February 19, 2017, 03:47:01 PM
Baruch "not my point"
sarcasm Baruch, sarcasm
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: fencerider on February 21, 2017, 02:57:01 AM
Baruch "not my point"
sarcasm Baruch, sarcasm

If you want Baruch to understand sarcasm, you need to add ";-)".
You really ought to read the instructions manual in dealing with him.

Oh, wait.

;-)

There we go.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 21, 2017, 03:02:28 AM
If you want Baruch to understand sarcasm, you need to add ";-)".
You really ought to read the instructions manual in dealing with him.

Oh, wait.

;-)

There we go.

Italic smiley?  Denying you are Italian again? ;-))  But don't bold smilies ... that is shouting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Sorginak on February 19, 2017, 04:09:57 PM
Often when people come up with an answer they like, they stop looking for the answer that's the right answer...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 21, 2017, 04:58:40 PM
Often when people come up with an answer they like, they stop looking for the answer that's the right answer...

Yes, and the easiest answer for too many people is that there is some sort of deity managing everything.  There is no evidence of that; logic suggests that believe itself is not a basis for truth.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 23, 2017, 03:54:41 AM
Yes, and the easiest answer for too many people is that there is some sort of deity managing everything.  There is no evidence of that; logic suggests that believe itself is not a basis for truth.

Belief is not a basis for tautology nor for fact.  Truth isn't fact or tautology.  But we newspeak.  I am truthful by being honest, not by being factually right, nor by quoting mathematics.  People will integrity are honest, so integrity lies at the root of truth ... there is no truth without people, it doesn't lie in Plato's universe.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 23, 2017, 05:58:13 AM
Belief is not a basis for tautology nor for fact.  Truth isn't fact or tautology.  But we newspeak.  I am truthful by being honest, not by being factually right, nor by quoting mathematics.  People will integrity are honest, so integrity lies at the root of truth ... there is no truth without people, it doesn't lie in Plato's universe.

You "newspeak". I do not.  You are a trivialist attempting to be a comedian.  Must I break down your sentences phrase by phrase?  I can.  Its not worth the effort.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 23, 2017, 11:02:43 AM
You "newspeak". I do not.  You are a trivialist attempting to be a comedian.  Must I break down your sentences phrase by phrase?  I can.  Its not worth the effort.

Your loss.  If you aren't still growing (at any age) then you are shrinking.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 23, 2017, 12:24:08 PM
Your loss.  If you aren't still growing (at any age) then you are shrinking.

From science, to nature, to understanding of history, to botany and biology, I am learning every day.  You show no signs of doing that.