News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The good side of 2016

Started by Munch, December 25, 2016, 01:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 28, 2016, 06:40:38 PM
Trumpsters go at each other's throats?  Putin calls off hackers, retires, and Russia comes back to the global fold?  And this is the pessimistic version?

Maybe pessimistic, but not nearly cynical enough...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

The Skeletal Atheist

I am ensured a lot of schadenfreude for the next couple of years, both from liberals and conservatives alike.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Baruch

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on December 28, 2016, 09:44:48 PM
I am ensured a lot of schadenfreude for the next couple of years, both from liberals and conservatives alike.

Hopefully that won't clash with your farfegnugen ;-)  You could always choose to escape the weltanschauung of the current Matrix.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I haven't seen Brazil for a couple of decades or more, and only once at that. I recall it being a pretty good movie, but I don't recall this dream sequence. Wasn't De Nero in that movie?
God Not Found

Unbeliever

As for the good side of this past year, I'd have to say it's been the best year of my life, so far. I finally have a place I consider to be "home," though I'm homeless. I had to become homeless and penniless to get any stability in my life. I hope I can remain in this situation until I  "shuffle off this mortal coil" and return to my default state of oblivion.
God Not Found

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 29, 2016, 05:09:34 PM
As for the good side of this past year, I'd have to say it's been the best year of my life, so far. I finally have a place I consider to be "home," though I'm homeless. I had to become homeless and penniless to get any stability in my life. I hope I can remain in this situation until I  "shuffle off this mortal coil" and return to my default state of oblivion.
Hmmm......the thought of being homeless and penniless, for me, is the stuff of nightmares.  But...........since it seemed to have worked for your betterment somehow, then I have to say it is a good thing, at least for you.  And if you are now in a good place, I really do hope you can stay there.  The best of luck in whatever works for you.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but for me it fits.
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on December 28, 2016, 10:29:12 PM
Hopefully that won't clash with your farfegnugen ;-)  You could always choose to escape the weltanschauung of the current Matrix.
farfegnugen: German word meaning "To buy advertising gimmick."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 29, 2016, 06:42:20 PM
farfegnugen: German word meaning "To buy advertising gimmick."

My grandfather enjoyed driving his Mercedes ... there is real farfegnugen!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 29, 2016, 05:05:42 PM
I haven't seen Brazil for a couple of decades or more, and only once at that. I recall it being a pretty good movie, but I don't recall this dream sequence. Wasn't De Nero in that movie?

The point of the movie is the reveal at the very end ... the whole story is a dream sequence produced by the protagonist, while in agony, under the control of a government dentist (who is torturing him to death, for not conforming).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The good part of 2016 is that we didn't destroy ourselves.  On the other hand, 2017 offers new opportunities...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mermaid

I got to see my brother and hug him, for real, in November. I had not seen him in person since my wedding in 2004.

That was the best thing to happen to me in a very long time.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 29, 2016, 05:05:42 PM

I haven't seen it in ages either, but as I recall, yes he was.

I need to dig out that DVD and give it another watch.  Gilliam's ending, not the one forced on him by the studio.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

tanny

2016 was not a bad year for me but it wasn't great either, just a normal year...