News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The good side of 2016

Started by Munch, December 25, 2016, 01:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

1: Career started to pick up drastically. Teaching and doing a lot of art shows now.
2: Met a lot of awesome people through conventions and art shows. New friends
3: Disowned my father completely and completed the decision to never talk to him again
4: Gonna keep that "got laid" thing going. Sex is good, after all.
5: Won some awards and got my art in some magazines/books

trdsf

I got nothin' good on 2016.  A few personal things that don't anywhere near add up to the horror of the coming presidency of That Asshole, (never mind the loss of several personal heroes).  2016 is not merely an annus horribilis, it's an anus horribilis.  And I would give up all the good I have gotten out of this year -- both physical and emotional -- to keep that filthy bigoted sack of shit away from the levers of power.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

AllRight

The best thing to come out of 2016 was that through the shitshow of an election I met some pretty cool people and made some new friends with similar interests and progressive ideals.  I live in a very conservative region, so it's been a breath of fresh air for me to know there are others out there who share my values.

Munch

Quote from: trdsf on December 27, 2016, 01:15:36 AM
I got nothin' good on 2016.  A few personal things that don't anywhere near add up to the horror of the coming presidency of That Asshole, (never mind the loss of several personal heroes).  2016 is not merely an annus horribilis, it's an anus horribilis.  And I would give up all the good I have gotten out of this year -- both physical and emotional -- to keep that filthy bigoted sack of shit away from the levers of power.

Thats why I was hoping to focus on some good we had this year, to try and think of something else, cause it really has been a miserable year in general.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Nonsensei

I met a lady. She destroyed my chair.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Atheon

1. Visited eight countries, three of them ones I had never visited before.
2. Achieved a personal record of income for one month.
3. Lived to see the Cubs win.
4. Kissed the Blarney Stone.
5. Experienced my first cancer scare, and thankfully the test results came out negative.
6. Finally my business is office-free: I can live as a digital nomad if I wish.
7. Taiwan has it first female president and she supports gay marriage.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Gawdzilla Sama

Cataract surgery finished after fifteen months. Gall bladder out. Still alive. Could have been worse.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 27, 2016, 08:24:46 AM
Cataract surgery finished after fifteen months. Gall bladder out. Still alive. Could have been worse.

Had my cataract operations (going blind in both eyes) when I was 49 ... seems to be contagious ;-(

With your Gaul bladder out ... no more brie for you!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

widdershins

It has been a terrible year.  Even my personal life has been shit.

1) Wife had a gall bladder attack and went to ER to get it removed, found out she also had pancreatitis
2) She was in our bed roughly 4 hours when we got a call our oldest son fell off an overpass.  The doctor said "facial fracture" and "brain bleeding"
3) Not a month later I was at a cancer benefit for my oldest brother when I broke both my elbows racing my daughter (I won, but then fell)
4) The day after the cancer benefit for my oldest brother my next oldest brother had a heart attack

But we're focusing on the good here.  While this stuff sounds bad, it could have been a lot worse.

1) No more gall bladder attacks
2) No reconstructive or brain surgery needed.  It all healed on its own with no permanent effects
3) It was FUNNY AS HELL!  TWO slings!  And my oldest brother doesn't feel the best because of chemotherapy, but he's not dying yet
4) It took a triple bypass, but my other brother is okay
5) Scallia died.  No matter who Trump puts in there he would be hard pressed to find a bigger piece of shit, though I'm sure he'll do his best to try
6) We'll likely never have to sit through another uncomfortable "Hillary is...great...I really like her...so................um.......she's very clean" conversation to get her elected.  I kind of liked her, but come on.  A lot of her votes were "Well I'm certainly not voting for TRUMP!" votes.  She just wasn't "exciting" as a candidate.  More of a "she'll do" kind of vibe.
7) And the best thing of all about 2016?  IT'S ALMOST OVER!!!!!
This sentence is a lie...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on December 27, 2016, 10:01:33 AM
Had my cataract operations (going blind in both eyes) when I was 49 ... seems to be contagious ;-(

With your Gaul bladder out ... no more brie for you!
I prefer formaggio anyway.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on December 25, 2016, 02:04:53 PM
6. Cat got out, but got her back after 2 weeks playing alley cat
Playing alley cat seems a novel way to retrieve a kitty, but hey, whatever works...

:bravo:
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Munch on December 25, 2016, 02:19:42 PM
Baruch thats nice.. though the dental work part, I suppose the results were the nice part, not the acts themselves at the time ^^

Yeah, unless he's like this guy:

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0029135/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t12
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Pulmonary embolism Dx turned out to be inaccurate. Underlying problem still a PFM.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Here's a pessimist's guide to 2017 - it did pretty well for 2016, so who knows?

These aren't meant as predictions, merely possibilities.

The Pessimist's Guide to 2017 - Bloomberg
God Not Found

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 28, 2016, 05:50:51 PMThe Pessimist's Guide to 2017 - Bloomberg
Trumpsters go at each other's throats?  Putin calls off hackers, retires, and Russia comes back to the global fold?  And this is the pessimistic version?