News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The good side of 2016

Started by Munch, December 25, 2016, 01:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

I've seen a lot of people, on forums, on tv, in magazines, comment sections of YouTube, telling it how 2016 has been just a depressing or horrendous years. So many loved celebrities died, the strife caused by political tension in many countries, a lot of innocent people dying on mass, increased terrorism. This year's had it by the truck load, and we all probably got a,reason to hate this year for one reason or another.

But, let's forget about that here. Let's talk about some good things that came out of this year, be it personal or a world change, small or large.

1: I got to have a level of closeness with my boyfriend this August I haven't felt with anyone else before. When I was with him while our other boyfriend was away, me and him did something I only would have let someone I trust fully do, won't say what it was, but it made me feel so close to him like no one before.
2: I got to have a normal, relaxing Halloween, where I sat back watching scary movies, something I didn't get to last year because the neighbours threw a rave back then.
3: I got to discover how much I loved undertale and all things around it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

1. Full time employment continued, with some benefits
2. Got a lot of dental work done
3. Got my mother into a nursing home
4. Made a new friend (coin collecting)
5. Got an opportunity to help a good neighbor, who is having medical done
6. Cat got out, but got her back after 2 weeks playing alley cat
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Baruch thats nice.. though the dental work part, I suppose the results were the nice part, not the acts themselves at the time ^^

Shiranu

1. Iceland's performance in the Euros, and to a lesser extent Ireland's. Yes, Portugal went on to win it which sucked... but they were completely salty that people cared more about Iceland doing good than them going all the way, which was satisfying. Here's to hoping that make Russia 2018.

2. Leicester City winning the Premier League was an absolutely great story possibly a once-in-a-life-time fairy tale.

3. Got my first and second tattoos done, and love them both.

4. Got laid.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GrinningYMIR

1. Got laid a couple times
2. Had pizza.
3. Coworkers liked me at work
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: Munch on December 25, 2016, 01:35:58 PM
I've seen a lot of people, on forums, on tv, in magazines, comment sections of YouTube, telling it how 2016 has been just a depressing or horrendous years. So many loved celebrities died, the strife caused by political tension in many countries, a lot of innocent people dying on mass, increased terrorism. This year's had it by the truck load, and we all probably got a,reason to hate this year for one reason or another.

But, let's forget about that here. Let's talk about some good things that came out of this year, be it personal or a world change, small or large.

1: I got to have a level of closeness with my boyfriend this August I haven't felt with anyone else before. When I was with him while our other boyfriend was away, me and him did something I only would have let someone I trust fully do, won't say what it was, but it made me feel so close to him like no one before.
2: I got to have a normal, relaxing Halloween, where I sat back watching scary movies, something I didn't get to last year because the neighbours threw a rave back then.
3: I got to discover how much I loved undertale and all things around it.

Oh come on! While I like David Bowie and Gene Wilder and many of the celebrities that died, they wouldn't even be on the top 20 list of reasons why 2016 was a horrible year. A few people who contributed little to society in the long term are not even close to as devastating as Brexit, Aleppo, the many suicide bombings, the Presidential Election in the U.S, the shooting of a gay night club, South Korea's prime minister stepping down, Hurricane Matthew and the recent Islamic terrorist attacks.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

Draconic Aiur

1. Got Culinary Associates Degree
2. Saw Deadpool
3. Read over 40 books that I liked
4. didnt hang myself for having a degree but cant get a job being a cook

Shiranu

I almost completely forgot about the meme that saved 2016.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on December 25, 2016, 06:21:38 PM
Oh come on! While I like David Bowie and Gene Wilder and many of the celebrities that died, they wouldn't even be on the top 20 list of reasons why 2016 was a horrible year. A few people who contributed little to society in the long term are not even close to as devastating as Brexit, Aleppo, the many suicide bombings, the Presidential Election in the U.S, the shooting of a gay night club, South Korea's prime minister stepping down, Hurricane Matthew and the recent Islamic terrorist attacks.

well, I see it as tragedy effects people in different ways, you might be someone who feels just awful for a long time after a large devastating event like an earthquake killing hundreds to thousends, or you might be someone who feels bad but it doesn't effect you as much, instead you feel awful because someone you loved growing up is no longer with us and it effects you in that way. everyone is different in how they process these things.
I'm someone who cried when the twin towers were destroyed and princess diana died, now, I just wall myself up when something similar happens and deal with it quietly.

Anyway, its not a contest on what was the most tragic by rating in 2016, those are all just reasons added on top of each other for why this year was bad. And I said, this is trying to focus on better things we had this year or things that happened.

Sorginak

Dreamer

1.  Graduated with a BA Special Education & Elementary Ed
2.  Became a licensed teacher
3.  Employed as a teacher
4.  Won $100 from my credit union for saving (Why does this sound like a Monopoly chance card?)
5.  Stopped my on-again/off-again relationship with my ex
6.  Started dating
7.  Have left my cave more than usual
8.  Wrote a list

While lots of great stuff personally, 2016 has been a big shit show.
<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

Cavebear

My retirement annuity almost kept up with inflation and my living expenses were lower than that, so I gained.

I joined this site this year and that has been very good.

I can eat on the high end of the hog, and the tender part of the cow.  Shrimps are cheap here and thick bacon is great.

Love lots of veggies.

My cats.

Sleeping late without embarrassment.

60" HDTV and lots of science and history DVDs.

Quiet neighbors.

Dead end street (little traffic).

This site where I can yell and scream and it's OK.

Old records.

My old Windows computer to play Civ II.

Good food, good wine cheap.

Garden.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Bought a house.
My ex teamchief, THE chief of another team and Some coworkers told me I have THE potential to be teamchief.
I learned one can live on without faith in humanity.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: Munch on December 25, 2016, 09:32:07 PM
well, I see it as tragedy effects people in different ways, you might be someone who feels just awful for a long time after a large devastating event like an earthquake killing hundreds to thousends, or you might be someone who feels bad but it doesn't effect you as much, instead you feel awful because someone you loved growing up is no longer with us and it effects you in that way. everyone is different in how they process these things.
I'm someone who cried when the twin towers were destroyed and princess diana died, now, I just wall myself up when something similar happens and deal with it quietly.

Anyway, its not a contest on what was the most tragic by rating in 2016, those are all just reasons added on top of each other for why this year was bad. And I said, this is trying to focus on better things we had this year or things that happened.

Indeed
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

Hydra009

Deadpool, Stranger Things, Westworld.

George R.R. Martin didn't die (for the 68th consecutive year)

Giant pandas and manatees are no longer endangered.  (they're classified as threatened instead)

NASA got a budget increase which included a goal to send a manned mission to Mars within the next 25 years.

A boatload of scientific discoveries, including CRISPR gene-editing moving to closer to human trials to help patients with cancer, using nanostructured glass to store data for basically forever and stem cell treatments which improved motor function in some patients.