Author Topic: The good side of 2016  (Read 2014 times)

Re: The good side of 2016
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 06:51:09 PM »
Trumpsters go at each other's throats?  Putin calls off hackers, retires, and Russia comes back to the global fold?  And this is the pessimistic version?

Maybe pessimistic, but not nearly cynical enough...
God Not Found
"Never criticize someone unless you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then when you criticize him at least you'll be a mile away - and you'll have his shoes."
Ray Magliozzi
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted at all."

Offline Baruch

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 07:21:34 PM »
שלום

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 09:44:48 PM »
I am ensured a lot of schadenfreude for the next couple of years, both from liberals and conservatives alike.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Offline Baruch

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2016, 10:29:12 PM »
I am ensured a lot of schadenfreude for the next couple of years, both from liberals and conservatives alike.

Hopefully that won't clash with your farfegnugen ;-)  You could always choose to escape the weltanschauung of the current Matrix.
שלום

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 05:05:42 PM »
I haven't seen Brazil for a couple of decades or more, and only once at that. I recall it being a pretty good movie, but I don't recall this dream sequence. Wasn't De Nero in that movie?
God Not Found
"Never criticize someone unless you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then when you criticize him at least you'll be a mile away - and you'll have his shoes."
Ray Magliozzi

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 05:09:34 PM »
As for the good side of this past year, I'd have to say it's been the best year of my life, so far. I finally have a place I consider to be "home," though I'm homeless. I had to become homeless and penniless to get any stability in my life. I hope I can remain in this situation until I  "shuffle off this mortal coil" and return to my default state of oblivion.
God Not Found
Ray Magliozzi

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 05:18:19 PM »
As for the good side of this past year, I'd have to say it's been the best year of my life, so far. I finally have a place I consider to be "home," though I'm homeless. I had to become homeless and penniless to get any stability in my life. I hope I can remain in this situation until I  "shuffle off this mortal coil" and return to my default state of oblivion.
Hmmm......the thought of being homeless and penniless, for me, is the stuff of nightmares.  But...........since it seemed to have worked for your betterment somehow, then I have to say it is a good thing, at least for you.  And if you are now in a good place, I really do hope you can stay there.  The best of luck in whatever works for you.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent,
Is he able but not willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able or willing?
Then why call him god?

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 05:20:01 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but for me it fits.
God Not Found
Ray Magliozzi

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 06:42:20 PM »
Hopefully that won't clash with your farfegnugen ;-)  You could always choose to escape the weltanschauung of the current Matrix.
farfegnugen: German word meaning "To buy advertising gimmick."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Baruch

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 10:06:16 PM »
farfegnugen: German word meaning "To buy advertising gimmick."

My grandfather enjoyed driving his Mercedes ... there is real farfegnugen!
שלום

Offline Baruch

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2016, 10:07:30 PM »
I haven't seen Brazil for a couple of decades or more, and only once at that. I recall it being a pretty good movie, but I don't recall this dream sequence. Wasn't De Nero in that movie?

The point of the movie is the reveal at the very end ... the whole story is a dream sequence produced by the protagonist, while in agony, under the control of a government dentist (who is torturing him to death, for not conforming).
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2017, 04:16:42 AM »
The good part of 2016 is that we didn't destroy ourselves.  On the other hand, 2017 offers new opportunities...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Offline Mermaid

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »
I got to see my brother and hug him, for real, in November. I had not seen him in person since my wedding in 2004.

That was the best thing to happen to me in a very long time.
We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came.

John F. Kennedy

Online trdsf

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 11:30:31 AM »

I haven't seen it in ages either, but as I recall, yes he was.

I need to dig out that DVD and give it another watch.  Gilliam's ending, not the one forced on him by the studio.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"I thought I committed regicide today, but I committed deicide!" -- Sadie Doyle, Beyond Belief

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 01:29:02 AM »
2016 was not a bad year for me but it wasn't great either, just a normal year...