News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Happy Holidays

Started by SGOS, December 25, 2016, 05:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashwana

FaithIsFilth

I went to church with my parents Christmas morning. It was pretty amusing being an atheist who celebrates Christmas, at church, being lectured to by a Pastor about why people shouldn't celebrate Christmas, what with it being a pagan holiday and all. Very amusing. Especially since my mom was ticked off about the Pastor not celebrating Christmas.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on December 29, 2016, 01:41:29 PM
I went to church with my parents Christmas morning. It was pretty amusing being an atheist who celebrates Christmas, at church, being lectured to by a Pastor about why people shouldn't celebrate Christmas, what with it being a pagan holiday and all. Very amusing. Especially since my mom was ticked off about the Pastor not celebrating Christmas.

I'm impressed by any religious person who recognizes that Christmas is a pagan rip-off of older celebrations!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Cavebear on January 01, 2017, 04:47:54 AM
I'm impressed by any religious person who recognizes that Christmas is a pagan rip-off of older celebrations!
It probably has something to do with him not growing up celebrating Christmas. He is a Christian Jew (or is it Jewish Christian?) who converted to Christianity in his 20s.

Baruch

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on January 01, 2017, 01:03:40 PM
It probably has something to do with him not growing up celebrating Christmas. He is a Christian Jew (or is it Jewish Christian?) who converted to Christianity in his 20s.

Jewish people can operate on multiple levels at the same time.  Gentiles mistakenly call it ... inconsistency.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

kathyline

Happy holidays and have a splendid year ahead!

tanny

I had a great holiday. We had a nice family reunion and now we are back to our busy lives. I am in the middle of a home renovation project right now and I am renovating the bathroom at the present moment. I have a hard time choosing the wall color. I am leaning more towards the traditional style so I would be having wooden floors and cabinets in the bathroom. I found a blog online that listed out some colors ( http://www.dispenser.com/blog/organizedbath/pantones-spring-palette-is-perfect-for-bathrooms/ ). I am thinking of getting either pale dogwood or pea green. Which do you think is the better choice? Any thoughts on this would be great.

SGOS

Quote from: tanny on February 20, 2017, 01:24:57 AM
I am thinking of getting either pale dogwood or pea green. Which do you think is the better choice? Any thoughts on this would be great.

Impossible to ask that question and get any help on the internet.  Every color looks different in a different room, and something like "pale dogwood" would have 500 variations of its own, some of which would look delightful, while others would make you throw up.  Getting color to work together, and enhance a room is not easy.  Few people can do it well.  Many people can choose colors, but couldn't put two together and get a pleasing result.  I've seen grown adults do their best and end up with something that looks like a taco stand.  I would be one of them.  I know that, and constantly restrain myself.  I have to stay with subtle colors, close to white, or else the room will look like a bunch of multi-colored paint bombs exploded.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: SGOS on February 20, 2017, 06:22:55 AM
Impossible to ask that question and get any help on the internet.  Every color looks different in a different room, and something like "pale dogwood" would have 500 variations of its own, some of which would look delightful, while others would make you throw up.  Getting color to work together, and enhance a room is not easy.  Few people can do it well.  Many people can choose colors, but couldn't put two together and get a pleasing result.  I've seen grown adults do their best and end up with something that looks like a taco stand.  I would be one of them.  I know that, and constantly restrain myself.  I have to stay with subtle colors, close to white, or else the room will look like a bunch of multi-colored paint bombs exploded.

^This

Plus, I'm slightly colorblind.
Green = Green
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 20, 2017, 06:30:04 AM
^This

Plus, I'm slightly colorblind.
Green = Green
I'm more color mixup than blind.  For me shades of red or green can look brown, or brown can look blue or red or green.  Apparently I almost flunked coloring in the 2nd grade according to my mother. :)  So, I chuckle when my wife asks what color would go with another color. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 20, 2017, 11:33:47 AM
I'm more color mixup than blind.  For me shades of red or green can look brown, or brown can look blue or red or green.  Apparently I almost flunked coloring in the 2nd grade according to my mother. :)  So, I chuckle when my wife asks what color would go with another color.

That might be a more apt description, really. Daltonism too?
I had a favorite green coat for 3 years, before I was told that it was brown.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Munch

Oh christmas tree, oh christmas tree, your two months out of date, tee hee.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 20, 2017, 11:55:02 AM
That might be a more apt description, really. Daltonism too?
I had a favorite green coat for 3 years, before I was told that it was brown.
I can relate to that.  That's why I don't clothes shop alone. :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

widdershins

I am glad someone resurrected this thread because it reminded me, our war on Christ...I mean, Xmas has been so disorganized in the past that I didn't even know I was at war with Xmas until some real...I mean fake media source pointed out that it was on Faux (we're calling this shit) News yet again.  We need to organize this year.  I know O'Reilly  proclaimed victory this last year, but something tells me that isn't going to stop me from having a war and Christmas...(dammit!)  I mean Xmas again this year.

Whatever it is we did in the past hasn't worked, so I have a three pronged approach to victory this year.

1) Start early and organize!  I'm not even sure how we are fighting this war.  I assume no weapons are involved.  I think that would have made the news, both real and fake.
2) Since there are no weapons involved, figure out what the hell it is we're doing when we declare war on Xmas.  Is it just saying "Xmas" and "happy holidays"?  Because that's a pretty shitty attack.  No wonder we lost!  Whatever it is we've been doing it obviously isn't working since the "not us" won the war last year.
3) Plan a real attack, maybe build a time machine to kidnap the baby Jesus or something.  That's maybe a bit ambitious, but I have to believe we can come up with a better attack than wishing assholes happy holidays.  That seems pretty passive aggressive and not really effective in a war-type situation.  I mean, we'd all be speaking German right now if all our troops did during WWII was politely wish the enemy well in a way which would be utterly inoffensive in order to profoundly offend them.

Let's not wait this year until Faux News tells us it's on and then say, "Oh fuck!  What did I do?  How do I keep doing it?  Am I winning???" like we have every previous year.  If it weren't for Faux News I wouldn't even know I was at war with Xmas (almost did it again).  I don't know how we even did so wall for all those years being this damned disorganized.  I do NOT want to lose this war again!  Assuming, of course, we can even come back from last year's devastating loss.
This sentence is a lie...